PDA

View Full Version : Maximum Destruction

commanderpete
04-16-2002, 07:10 AM
Well, I had a pretty good looking boat before I decided to improve it. I'm reinforcing the corners and hull/deck joint, and re-tabbing the bulkheads.

Here is the scene before I started applying the fiberglass.

commanderpete
04-16-2002, 07:14 AM
pretty frightening

commanderpete
04-16-2002, 07:22 AM
Here are some tools of the trade:

epoxy resin and hardener
biaxial tape in different widths
various tools
a good respirator

The yellow stuff is Kevlar. When I said I was making the boat bulletproof, I wasn't kidding.

When you come up for air, you need a frosty.

I've spent two days fiberglassing so far. Somehow I got some epoxy in my hair. Let me tell you, it works better than any mousse.

S.Airing
04-16-2002, 01:17 PM
Hey Commanderpete,I think you missed a spot over to the left.Just trying to help

commanderpete
04-17-2002, 08:21 AM
Alright.....go ahead......make fun.

I'm getting a little sick and tired of you hoity-toity Ariel owners with your fancy boats and your inverters and pushpits and travellers and microwaves and lace curtains. Meanwhile us salt-soaked Commanders are just trying to hold our boats together on a shoe string.

I dare you to bring them overloaded Gold-platers over here to New York and I'll show you what fer with my stripped-down sailing machine. Hrrrumph

;)

commanderpete
04-17-2002, 08:34 AM
Maybe I'm inhaling a little too much resin.

Here is some handiwork

commanderpete
04-17-2002, 08:38 AM
A bit sloppy, but I got it done.

Still need to fair it out, install the laminate, and paint the boat.

S.Airing
04-17-2002, 08:59 AM
Still see that spot to the left you missed.Oh by the way dont forget to glass in a spot for your inverter.

S.Airing
04-17-2002, 10:30 AM
Oh,almost forgot.You might want to add counter space for the microwave.Standard equipment on Ariels.

Janice Collins
04-17-2002, 06:43 PM
Actually, Commanderpete, I need to do just what you're doing. But...I'd HATE to have to take down those lace curtains and get ALL dirty!!!

If you need any decorating ideas...

Hope we get AFTER photos.

commanderpete
04-23-2002, 09:09 AM
O.K. Janice, say the word and French and I will be down to the USVI to soak up some sun and smear some epoxy around.

We could waterproof the curtains while we're at it.

Janice Collins
04-23-2002, 02:29 PM
You got yourselves a deal !!