PDA

View Full Version : Winter Cover

commanderpete
09-29-2001, 08:10 AM
Hey Gang,

Its 57 degrees here in NY, gusts to 25 mph+

But, I got to go sailing anyway, this being Saturday and all. I'll pretend I'm in SF.

Anyway, come Dec. Ive got to haul the boat. I usually just leave the mast up and boat uncovered (horrors).

This year I'm gonna do it right, unstep the mast etc. I'm thinking of building some sort of frame for a tarp. I would use PVC pipes but I don't have lifeline stantions to attach them to.

Maybe I'll see if I can find some old sawhorses and put carpet under their feet. Use the mast or PVC pipe as a ridgepole.

Anyway, thats the plan so far. I'm not bright or handy enough to build anything too complicated.

How do other people lay up their boats?

P.S. Thanks Bill and all involved in bringing us the new board
Got to love this new technology

;p

Bill
09-29-2001, 02:38 PM
In the winter newsletter there were plans for a neat winter boat cover. Designed by an owner who lives in NJ, no less. ;p

commanderpete
09-30-2001, 10:46 AM
I thought I remembered seeing something.

I looked it up and a fine piece of work it is. But, requires alot of sewing, etc.

Got to sweet talk some woman who sews, if they still make them.

That one is designed for use with the mast up. If I unstep the mast, it should be a whole lot simpler. Next winter I'll modify the tarp.

I'm really only unstepping the mast this year because I want to do some work on the rigging, etc.

They charge a fortune to step and unstep and then treat the mast roughly and store it poorly.

I'm switching from the stinkpotter boat yard I'm in to another one this winter. Its got to be better. I hope.

Anyway, still plenty of good sailing left this season. Not today, though, a regular Nor'easter--30 to 35 knots wind and rain............sigh...............
:Ugh:

Bill
09-30-2001, 02:40 PM
Weather here is not good for sailing today. 88 - 92 degrees (f) and no wind :( Same for tomorrow.

Guess all I can do is fill some holes in the deck and keep hydrated with lots o' soft drinks.

Bill

commanderpete
10-02-2001, 08:37 AM
My condolences Bill.

Nothing worse than no wind.

Conditions here today have moderated to just Small Craft Advisories (translation---just right).

Trying to stay on topic, Dan's plans for a Winter Cover specify

18oz Vinyl Coated Polyester 32' x 16'

I suppose that's different than the usual cheap blue tarp I was hoping to use. I guess I'll see what the Home Improvement stores have to offer.

Bye the way, what do I have to do to graduate from my "Ariel Newbie" status. Is there a quiz involved or can I just slip you a few bucks?;)

Bill II
10-02-2001, 09:56 AM
To lose the "Newbie" status, you have to reach a number of posts. I think the next level is 10 or 20 posts. :cool:

Edit: Smily is not working! :Ugh:

commanderpete
10-02-2001, 11:37 AM
You mean I get rewarded for my idiotic blathering?

WHAT A COUNTRY!!

Bill II
10-02-2001, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by commanderpete
You mean I get rewarded for my idiotic blathering?

:D You get rewarded for whatever nonsense you post. There are four levels you can achieve (for now). You will have to find out what they are though.

Bill II

Mike Goodwin
10-13-2001, 08:32 AM
Hey Pete,

Don't use the blue tarps !
Spend a few extra bucks and get the silver / black variety . They hold up over 4x better and only cost 2x as much , well worth it in my book . I got 3 seasons out of one .

If you make a PVC frame , dont use the cheap stuff , it is very brittle when it gets cold and shatters like crazy.

I'm lucky down here , we can stay afloat all year , very little ice , maybe evey 10 years we get a solid freeze to the point you can walk on the creek or river I'm in/on/near/up .

Mike

Dan Maliszewski
12-06-2001, 01:23 PM
Pete,
For many years I dropped the mast on Adele M and set it on 2x3 crossbucks parallel to the deck about 6 feet above the cockpit floor, using it as a ridgepole for my 16 x 32 18 0z. vinyl polyester tarp. Worked great till my yard got wiggy with their crane rates. So I dreamed up the split cover, which works nice.

If you are bent on using a ridgepole, try 2" aluminum electrical conduit. Three and a half 10 ft. sections should do it. It's heavy wall, dam strong, and breaks down for storage. PCV is horrible.

And for your homework this winter, contact Humphrys Mfg. Co., 5744 Woodland Ave, Philadelphia, PA, and ask for their Textile Products swatch kit. You will never buy another "polytarp", whatever the hue. 1-800-523-4503. Talk to Stan in tarp sales, if he hasn't retired. Nice people, great prices, top quality.

Dan

Dan Maliszewski
01-27-2003, 01:55 PM
I didn't forget (right..), it just took me this long to come up with a digital camera, then sort of learn how to use it, then how to size the images to fit this forum, et al...
So if everything works ok, here are some images of my famous winter cover featured in a past newsletter.

Dan Maliszewski
01-27-2003, 01:59 PM
And also:

Dan Maliszewski
01-27-2003, 02:01 PM
And:

Brendan Watson
03-02-2003, 11:21 PM
I never covered my Commander as a real cover costs an arm
and a leg and the impromtu arrangements seem to blow off
after the lines chafe through some paint and generally make a mess
and alot of noise. This winter however I had the mast taken down
and decided to cover the boat. My coamings are due for a 5 year refit and I just did'nt want them to take that extra
step.
While many ways of covering the boat occured to me I wanted the simplest, cheapest way
that would allow me easy access to the interior and not blow away. What I came up with
is childishly simple and effective.

I took two tarps that I had, the cheap blue ones, one 12'x20' and one 12'x12' and streched the big one
over the bow of the boat lengthwise. The aft end I terminated at the companionway bulkhead.
I rolled the excess under itself and used these clips that work like garterbelt snaps
to attach to the rolled under ends that conformed to the topsides of the boat. I sed a
2"x 3" from the very bow and rested the aft end on the cabintop for a ridge. This
front section is permanent with very little windage and has remained drum-taught
throughout the winter thus far. I found a small piece of rubber matt to additionaly coverthe mast step.
The smaller tarp aft overlaps the front one by about 2' and ends at the traveller at the end
of the cockpit. Again I used a 2"x 3" from the main hatch to the traveller to form a ridge.
On the forward end I slipped a small fender, cut in half, over the 2"x3". Useing the same
garter clips I attached the front end of the aft tarp to the forward tarp in two places.
The sides of the aft tarp are spring clipped to the coamings with the outboard excess
rolled under and clipped to the jib sheet lead blocks. By clipping one side first I can tune the other side
nice and taught. The enclosure over the cockpit is tent-like, low windage and easily removed
by unclipping one side as well as to restore when your hands get to cold to work anymore.
We recently got 22" of snow and the tarps looked like when I left them. Winter is not over yet
but as far as cheap and effective with good access goes I think this method worth consideration.
Cheers, B.
Commander#215