PDA

View Full Version : Jib and genoa tracks??

scottwilliams
03-24-2002, 02:51 PM
Is it possible to install one large track to accomadate a jib and a genoa. ? Does anyone have exact locations for this hardware ?
I currently have a 150 genoa and plan on getting a class size jib. Also has anyone added a second forestay to accomadate a storm jib? If so how and what do you attach it to on the deck?/ I have roller furling and a smaller jib set would be nice . thanks scott 269

Mike Goodwin
03-24-2002, 03:29 PM
I have installed a track on the toerail that goes from the after shroud to a point near the rear of the cockpit .
If you use roller reefing you dont need an extra stay , all roller furling is not suitable for roller reefing or you just remove the genoa from the furling gear and hoist the smaller jib or furl the genny and go on a triple reefed main .

You could always set a storm jib flying to a pad eye on deck ( which would have to be reinforced )and use the spinaker topping lift as a halyard .

Bill
03-24-2002, 03:57 PM
The track for the class jib is best located inboard of the toe rail and at an angle approximately in line with the forward window. From the bow, the jib sheets will go outside the first shroud and inside the next two.

The long outboard track described by Mike is great for 120% on up. Sheets for these sails go outside all the shrouds.

S.Airing
03-24-2002, 05:23 PM
Capt. Mike,how do you like your track mounted on the toe rail?I`m ready to do something there and was thinking of mounting it there.I have the original genoa track and not really happy with it.I have a 165 on a roller fuller,and the track is way too short.

Mike Goodwin
03-24-2002, 07:42 PM
It's the only way to go in my book . I use multiple blocks ( 1 as a fairlead to the Lewmars , the other controls sail shape and a snatch block ) and have far better control than before .As you know , we ChesBay sailors rarely need the working jib , a 165 or 180 is more like it . I'm getting a roller reefing/furler and will have the sail marked & cut for 90 , 120 and 165 or up . You loose a little sheeting angle with the small jibs , but you also loose a good source for deck leaks and stubbed toes .

scottwilliams
03-25-2002, 05:20 AM
Thanks everyone for all the help it really is invaluable. I also have a flasher sail ( a flat cut spinnaker) I assume this can also run off of a long track. Will these be at the back of the track and will you use the stock winches etc.?? Also on refinishing my rudder- I have heard conflicting reports on how to do this. Should I epoxy over or do I need to leave spaces for expansion etc..
Thanks - scott

Bill
03-25-2002, 01:52 PM
Here is the track loation for the working jib:

Mike Goodwin
03-29-2002, 06:51 PM
Bill,

Did you move your tracks? Mine are right below the windows and parallel to the house .

Mike Goodwin
03-29-2002, 07:06 PM
This isn't my boat , but the track is in the same place .

Bill
03-29-2002, 08:17 PM
The track in Mike's photo is the location Pearson used in its original jib setup. Pearson had the sheets coming back to blocks attached to the two eye straps on the coachroof.

The track location on Maika'i is fixied and is the result of much fleet testing for maximising the drive of the class jib.

The Genoa track (not on Maika'i) is set out against the toe rail and on some boats extends from just behind the shrouds to midway of the cockpit. Good for anything from a 120% on up.

Mike Goodwin
03-30-2002, 05:10 AM
That explains those mysterious holes on my coachroof , thanks for clearing that up .
Is your class jib cut with a longer leech than the original ?

Bill
03-30-2002, 10:34 AM
The class jibs are usually cut as deck sweepers (as opposed to the original high clew jibs), but the measurements must remain within the original Pearson specs. The maximum dimensions are:

Luff 28' 6"
Foot 10' 4"
Leach 25' 0"

French
04-02-2002, 09:02 AM
I picked up a genoa from Summerset sails I think it was. Anyway, I was out on Sunday for a Spring run and tried it out. Big wow!
Seems like 120 or 140. The foot is 16 or there abouts. My question here is. Is the sheet for this suppose to go outside of the standing rigging? seems like it. I have two tracks on Kuan Yin picture attached, I belive the long one is for the Spinnacker...

With the sheet running to the outside of the rigging and the Sail so large, what about tacking? does it just flop across everything to get to the other side of the boat and the sheet should be long enough to handle it??

Young inquring minds...

French
04-02-2002, 09:06 AM
the picutre did not post here it is.

Hahahhahaha , I just noticed I am listed now as a Pearson Professional!!! haahhaha

Bill
04-02-2002, 02:18 PM
Genoa sheets go outside all the shrouds. Jib sheets go outside the forward shroud and inside the two remaining shrouds. Yes, the Genoa sheets need to be long enough to follow the sail as it crosses the foredeck. And yes, the sail will hit the shrouds. Remember, here in the Bay Area, on most Spring to Fall days, the 110 will be more than adequate -- In fact, on some days you will want to reef the main because you will be over powered.

Track #2 in your photo is the original Genoa track. #1 is the original jib track location. See #77's Genoa track location if you are flying 120's up to 160's.

Bill
04-02-2002, 02:20 PM
Oops, take that back. Track #2 is longer than the original Genoa track. Appears adequate for most Genoas.

French
04-02-2002, 03:13 PM
Ok cool, So I was on the right track :-)

Is there a logic in using one side over the other? I have the same tracks on both sides.

I will host the Genoa tonight to check the real size. If I remember correctly the end of the genoa hit about at the 3rd shroud.

Winds over here in the Benica/Martinez area seem to be lighter than over in the S.F. Bay most times. Also since I 'm a fair weather sailer, I do not go out on heavy wind days, I know my limits :-)

I will though brush up on my reefing how to just incase I'm out in it.

Bill
04-02-2002, 05:17 PM
You will need to run a sheet port and starboard through blocks on each track just like you do with the jib. And similarly, let go on one side and take up on the other when you tack.

French
04-02-2002, 10:14 PM
Oh , yeah!!! Now I remember, when I first got the boat, Someone took me out on it. There was a rolling fuller (sp) on it at the time. It had the double sheet hook up. It was not in that good a shape so I was told I should take it off and use just a regular Jib. Once we took all the old rotten sheets off. I thought there was just the one sheet for the jib and the other double hookup that was there was for the main sail up close near to the mast, and that was for racing . So I have been just using one sheet to control the jib I 've been using. That may explain why it worked better on the Port side than the Starboard. Doh!

Well It is a good thing I'm going to the Spring Maintenance meeting I can see where else I'm off base .

hahaha, some professional :-)

French
04-03-2002, 10:20 AM
doh!!!! Well , now I see what tracks are for what. However after last nights measuring test, I have way more sail than I need !! I guess I should have not just followed the recomendation list for the size. I thought bigger was better. Oh well. I got a good deal and it is a really nice sail I can resell it. A 16 ft size brings it all the way back to the cockpit almost. 6 more ft than I need as my mast is at 10'. So I guess this Genoa is a 150 or so. Those little windows make sense since it covers so much deck area.

Hey, can I run the Hoppe with this baby to compensate for all the weight from the comfort goodies on board???

Oh well, learning... I'll give it a test run on Sunday just for the heck of it. Just to stay on topic, at least my Tracks can handle it they run almost to the stern.
:-)

sweet!