PDA

View Full Version : mike g and yawl conversion

scottwilliams
03-20-2002, 01:40 PM
I am also interested in your yawl idea. Where will you mount the mast? Let me know your ideas - sounds cool - I already have a mast holdind up my wind sock in the front yard I scavenged it off an abadandoned boat washed up on the beach, what are your plans for holding it up solid mount , stays and to where?

Mike Goodwin
03-20-2002, 07:23 PM
I plan to step the mast right in front of the lazarette hatch , I have a proper mast step for the mast section I will use .
I am splitting the backstay , so the mizzen will go right on centerline . I may do a jumper stay to the backstay from the mizzentop .
The aft shrouds will use the same chain plates as the split backstays , the forward shrouds will go to a re-inforced plate/tang/ring/staple on deck as far forward as possible without interfering with the boom swing .
The main traveler will move slightly forward to give room for the mast step .

I've done this before on much bigger boats , it is really no big deal to carry out and improves light air sailing by giving the option of a mizzen staysail or mizzen spinaker . It also gives a very accessable platform for antennas .

commanderpete
03-22-2002, 11:13 AM
The January 2000 Ariel newsletter has a small photo of a factory built Commander yawl owned by Bob Lincoln in Michigan. His e-mail address is

rlincoln@centurytel.net

Hopefully the Pearson guys gave some thought to the issues. Maybe Bob can supply some info and photos.