PDA

View Full Version : interior painting questions

scottwilliams
03-13-2002, 06:01 AM
I am about to begin painting my interior. I hope to spray it as this will allow acess to all the little nooks and crannys. Is it neccessary to prime or undercoat first ,I was planning on using pettit easypoxy. Ihave used this in the past with good results. They also make a interior paint called dura-white (it is water base) does anyone have experience with this? Any tips would be appreciated, thinning ratios etc. thanks scott - 269

Mike Goodwin
03-13-2002, 02:33 PM
Save your lungs and use a top quality latex/100% acrylic house paint . It is a lot tougher than you may think , prime with Kilz Total One primer . Roll on with a small foam roller ( looks like a hotdog ) and it looks great . I did my Vee berth area this way , I like the semi-gloss finish as it does not show the imperfections that a high gloss will enhance .

French
03-13-2002, 04:30 PM
I second Mike's thoughts. I used Latex house exterior paint, easy , holds up, cost effective, easy to clean.

commanderpete
03-23-2002, 08:41 AM
The following is my step by step guide to painting the boat.

Assembling The Work Crew

I had some difficulty finding help painting the boat due to my irascible disposition and various Orders of Protection. I was also dismayed by the high cost of paint brushes and rollers. I hit upon the idea of using a dog to help me. I went to the local dog shelter to find the right dog. Choose one with long hair and an agreeable disposition, a real tail wagger. I named him "Raphael."

Paint Selection

I went to the the end-of-season discount rack. Coincidentally, "Petit" brand was on sale. You may have to mix and match colors. I ended up with a fetching shade I called "burnished bilge brown."

Application

For the interior, pour a puddle of paint in the middle of the boat. Have the dog roll over in the paint (you may need to throw him in). Lock the dog inside the boat and go topside. Alternate opening the hatches a little and tapping on the porthole windows and calling the dog. The dog will run back and forth seeking escape. Eventually, you should get a nice coat of paint everywhere.

Topside application required a different technique. If you push the dog toward the edge of the boat they will instinctively lie down and give you good coverage. Return dog inside for another coat.

The next day, Raphael was woozy with joy to see me. We proceeded with the final coats.

Cleanup

Simply return the dog to the shelter before it opens for the day. I had sort of become fond of Raphael and was going to give him a shave. But, he ran away, ungrateful curr.

Conclusion

All in all, I must say a doggone good job.

Disclaimer

Your results may vary. Author expressly disclaims liability fo dog maulings, PETA activists and cane wielding old ladies. Do not use a cat.

S.Airing
03-23-2002, 08:53 AM
Commanderpete,pictures please,actually I used Interlux brightsides in the V-berth overhead area due to its gloss,easy to wipe down all the condensation.The hull sides I insulated on Sirocco.

commanderpete
03-25-2002, 07:57 AM
OK Steve. Here's Raphael. Good looking dog, Huh?

S.Airing
03-25-2002, 05:46 PM
I`ve used this type of paint brush before,very expensive,high upkeep and not too good.

noeta-112
03-25-2002, 05:58 PM
Me too !

Cleaned mine for the first time the other day. Damned if the thing didn't grunt and groan.

That's what comes from using a stray bristle brush.

Theis
03-31-2002, 07:39 PM
Hi Scott;

I used Dura, and it didn't hold up at all. I would not recommend it. It gets dirty and is impossible/hard to clean. Go with Unipoxy or Brightside. I don't know about the household paints. But I do know that I can not recommend Dura.

Peter