PDA

View Full Version : Mizzen Staysail gear

Dan Maliszewski
11-28-2003, 11:12 AM
While looking for the Manual order form, I ran across the 1962 Pearson sales brochure, which lists as an option "Mizzen Staysail gear" and "Spinnaker staysail gear". Could someone explain this gear for me? Does anyone use this gear?

Mike Goodwin
11-28-2003, 02:11 PM
Well 1st, your boat needs to be rigged as a yawl.
Without the mizzen , you have no need for it.

marymandara
11-28-2003, 02:48 PM
Which makes me remember...
Ever see the picture of Milton Thresher's old Ariel reaching with a mysterious 3rd sail aft?
He used a Star-class jib which he ran up the backstay, hoisted on the topping lift!
Dave

Bill
11-28-2003, 03:43 PM
There's a factory Commander Yawl for which we have only a fuzzy photo. We published it a few years back in the newsletter. "YaBut" (#110) lives near Montrose, Michigan and if we ever get back there . . . ;)

Tony G
11-28-2003, 08:42 PM
Mike, Dave, Bill
Any progress on your own boat-mizzen

I saw Mr. Thresher's photos and wish there some more elaboration on the set-up

I've e-mailed(blindly) several folks matching name and locale hoping to find the owner of "Yabut" but struck out. One person did e-mail me back a simply wrote, "No"

I should have a mizzen mast candidate laying in the yard this spring in case I head that way. Yee ha! Y-all.

tpalmer
11-29-2003, 08:02 AM
What's the difference between a ketch and yawl?

Bill
11-29-2003, 01:04 PM
According to Chapman's "Piloting, Seamanship & Small Boat Handling," (you should have a copy) The ketch and Yawl look somewhat alike. Both have a tall mainmast and a shorter mizzen mast aft of the mainmast. Traditionally, the governing rule is the location of the mizzen mast: If it is ahead of the rudder post, the boat is a ketch; however, if it is behind the rudder post, the boat is a yawl.

Because of the extra rigging and mast surface area exposed to the wind, these rigs have more windage. They are less effective on smaller boats where windage is relatively more important. One advantage, the mizzen makes a convenient location for mounting electronic gear.

Mike Goodwin
11-29-2003, 05:40 PM
My mizzen and my boat for that matter , are on hold until we get the schooner built.

Ketch yawl schooner or later , Mike.