PDA

View Full Version : Garhauer Traveler Track

Mike Goodwin
08-09-2003, 10:52 AM
Well I got the traveler , it's great , just took 6 weeks for them to get it here. I wonder how long a special order takes . Now if only the rain will stop and let me install it. The Pacific Northwest is dryer than we are in Chesbay. It has rained every day for the last 2 weeks and 27 days out of the last 30.

Scott Galloway
08-12-2003, 12:29 AM
Mike,

If you get some time on one of you seldomly-sunny days, it would be great to have some photos of your traveler installation.

A traveler installed on my boat by a previous owner failed at some point in a manner that caused some rather significant damage to the original location on the ledge aft of the cockpit. The previous owner patched some holes, but extensive stress cracks and cosmetic problems remained from the initial repair attempt. I had to do some aditional repairs, fill some cracks. Finally, I applied a new layer of white gelcoat to the entire area.

My current traveler is old and depreciated,and is perhaps a bit to light for the application, but the installation appears to be more or less adequate. I am interested in what model you bought,and how and where you are going to install it. A photo or two when you get time would be great.

Mike Goodwin
08-12-2003, 02:53 AM
I can photo the traveler with ease, as it is sitting on the kitchen table.

Tony G
08-12-2003, 05:36 AM
Ditto on that-are you planning to put it in front of the mizzen mast step?!?

ebb
08-12-2003, 07:15 AM
Do know that on 338, an OB model Ariel, that there would be major problem getting thru fastenings to work in that end of cockpit location - and find access for them. Those nice molded risers, once meant for blocks I guess, are totally 'blind' on 338.

Because the traveler location is aft of the end of the boom a bit, do you guys intend to tilt the traveler toward it. Or is that too picky???

Mike Goodwin
08-12-2003, 04:12 PM
I'm coming forward of the old traveler location, into the cockpit on the front side of the bulkhead or down across the end of the seats . Don't know which yet until I get to sit there, out of the rain and cogitate on the whole shebang .

John
08-13-2003, 02:53 PM
I now have my traveller mounted...I mounted it halfway between the lazerette hatch and the front edge of the deck. Now I have to decide if I really want my hatch locked.

It was easier than I thought. Schaefer bent the track to my template so I avoided having to put a spacer underneath. I avoided another piece of varnish work that way.

John Graves
Valhalla
Commander 284

Hull376
08-13-2003, 05:52 PM
I replaced the old curved traveler track and spacer with new spacer and straight track. The central holes and the outboard holes on each side were fairly easy to put washers and nuts on. There is one hole on each side, however, that is a *****. If you line up the spacer about 1/4 or so inch from the front edge of the cockpit, the standard holes in the Garhauer MT-1 track will be in the middle of the very narrow slot that can be accessed through the opening in the OB well (facing the tiller), and by reaching into (or getting into depending on your belt size) the cockpit hatches. The ***** attachment points are right between those access points. I lucked out on one and was able to use a ratchet wrench. The other I had to drill an access hole on the inside of the OB well into the right spot on the bulkhead-- in order to get a washer and nut on the dang thing. There was a metal backing plate (very narrow) which fit into the slot for the centrally located holes--- I left it there. Other attachments only have a washer. Old track lasted 40 years without pulling out, no signs of stress. Maybe some pull-outs were because not all track holes (2 inch spacing) were used. Maybe some didn't bother with the two hard to reach points.

ebb
08-14-2003, 07:23 AM
Kent, yer installation looks strong and tough! Impressive.

May I ask the panel:
What are the pros and cons of straight vs curved track?

Bill
08-14-2003, 08:07 AM
The legendary Hank Easom installed a straight track on our boat. Never asked why . . .