PDA

View Full Version : trailering an Ariel?

mark erickson
08-05-2003, 04:59 PM
Hi there,
I'm about to buy Ariel, I want it real bad, but no slips available in Monterey or Moss landing. Am I nuts for thinkinkg I might be able to trailer an Ariel? It's possible I could store her near the dock in Moss landing with the mast up if it's sane to use a trailer. Would dropping the mast be an absurd notion? I would appreciate any feed back ya'll might have for me. Thanks, Mark

Bill
08-05-2003, 06:30 PM
Mark,

Click on the search button at the top of the page and search for trailer. You'll find a lot of info.

The manual has the cradle dimensions to hold the Ariel and Commander hulls. Others have used this information to make a trailer for their yacht.

commanderpete
08-06-2003, 08:21 AM
Are you thinking about launching and retrieving the boat from a ramp?

mark erickson
08-06-2003, 10:24 AM
Comander Pete, Yes sir, I am wondering if launching from a ramp is possible with an Ariel, or would that be a foolish thing to consider? Also, I'm wondering if it is nuts to think of lowering/raising the mast if I was to want to haul the ariel down the highway to a different location? The owner of the boat says he has seen people raise the mast by by crane only and it's a considerably big job. Thanks for your help, mark
P.S. I see Tony has plans for building a proper trailer, so - I know at least they can be trailered. If I was to store the boat at Moss Landing Harbor it would have to be launched from the ramp. I don't think they have a crane. There are no slips available in Monterey or Moss Landing, but I'd sure like to buy the Ariel I have my eye on, if there's some way I'm able to get her in and out of the water and go sailing. Thanks again, Mark

Bill
08-06-2003, 11:28 AM
Mark,

Seach for "tabernacle" to read some discussions on the question of mast lowering.

Scott Galloway has an Ariel slipped at Santa Cruz that has a tabernacle and there is a rigger there who specializes in making them for Santa Cruz harbor boaters.

Mike Goodwin
08-06-2003, 01:35 PM
Not saying you cant ramp launch an Ariel, but you will need;
1-A super heavy duty 4x4 truck, at least a 1 ton , like an F-350 with diesel option.

2-The tongue of the trailer must be long enough to keep the truck out of the water when the Ariel floats off ( simple geometry can tell you this ).

3-The ramp must be long enough, deep enough and not too steep. I've seen people back the back wheels of the trailer off the end of a ramp trying to launch too large a boat, now the wheels were hooked over the edge and wouldn't come forward.

The boat wont float off the trailer until the bow is in 4.5 feet of water , assuming the trailer is 1' tall ( could be taller ), now where does that put the tailgate of your truck, probably underwater and the rear wheels on slippery concrete with 5000 lbs of boat trying to drag you backwards. You may need a front bumper winch in order to ascend the ramp with the loaded trailer.

Not saying it cant be done , but I bet it wont be done often.

Jim Wiles
08-06-2003, 08:10 PM
Mike,
An Ariel is extremely easy to launch and retrieve if you have a good and deep ramp such as we have at our Corps of Engineers lake. I have been doing it for 24 yrs. Buy a heavy duty tow strap in the 15,000 to 20,000 pound range (reasonably priced at True Value and farm stores), we back down the ramp boat trailer tires at edge of water, chock wheels well, take trailer off truck, stretch tow strap, pull forward enough to unchock trailer, back into water, in my and my friends case the trailer will not be visible when deep enough to float the Ariel. Once boat is afloat and away from trailer the trailer is pulled from water, chocked, and hitched back to truck.
When retrieveing boat to haul out we place empty trailer in water same depth with floats on the back trailer pads as markers for the careful task of motoring onto the submerged trailer. Not as bad as it sounds! We use this method on all my friends boats which range clear up to 35 feet. I will post some photos when I get a chance.
Our terrain isn't well suited for travel lifts; I did rent a crane when I first brought our boat to this lake via professional hauler. Be happy to answer questions.
I would like to know more about riggers that make custom hinged mast steps (tabernacles).
Jim

Scott Galloway
08-08-2003, 12:00 AM
Mark,

An Ariel these days is a lot of boat for the money. Mine was certainly worth the price, and you are going to have some fun and adventure when you make her your own with some elbow grease and whatever else it takes.

The trick here on Monterey Bay is getting your name on the waiting list. Monterey has a nominal fee for their list. I am not sure how much the waiting list fee is in Moss Landing, but my father kept his boat there for years, and the slip rent was reasonable. In Santa Cruz, the annual waiting list fee is 60 plus bucks. Lately, it seems like there is usually transient space in the upper harbor in Santa Cruz. The slip next to me has been vacant for most of the last six months. A tabernacled mast is necessary to reach the upper harbor since you have to motor under a bridge.

When you are considering options, don't forget that the S.F. Bay is a prime cruising ground for small and large sailboats. You might want to keep the boat in San Francisco Bay where slips are to be had more easily until your slip comes up in Moss Landing, Monterey, or Santa Cruz. That way, you don't just have a sailboat, you also have a bay-front weekend home while you learn to sail your boat. The Oakland/Alameda area is great for hunting boat parts and people who work on boats. You won't be able to sail after work in the evening, but you can do a lot of interesting cruising in SF Bay, San Pablo Bay, and the Delta in a two-day weekend.

Finally, the Ariel is not only the best sailing and best looking reasonably priced, small full keel boat around, it's also probably the best supported: First of all by this forum, and secondly particularly in S.F. Bay by the Ariel Racing Association. The membership is reasonable, the members are knowledgeable, and you will learn more about sailing these boats from those who race their Ariels than you will in ten years of unassisted ownership. Once you move down to Monterey Bay, the other Ariels are few and far between, so give SF Bay a chance before you spend the big bucks on a trailer. Just think of all the cool gadgets you could add to your new full-keeled pocket cruiser.

On the other hand with an Ariel, a trailer, and the right vehicle to pull it, you will be able to sail wherever you please, whenever you please.
;)

mark erickson
08-09-2003, 10:13 AM
Scott,
Those were some insightful thoughts with regards to my Ariel predicament.
I found a place in San Leandro that would custom make me a trailer for about -- now hear this - $7,000 - that's right, a mere 7,000 dollars; about 2 1/2 times the cost of the boat. The guy was really nice and helpful; he even said I would need to upgrade my towing rig to a f- 350 diesel dually ( or equivalent) to tow the Ariel and trailer. Oh , and I should make certain to launch @ high tide or the trailer may fall of the end, making it very difficult to get out. SO - now your advice comes at a time when I was just about to give up on the Ariel. Thanks, I will look into other possibilities for berthing.

Mike Goodwin
08-09-2003, 10:48 AM
So all you need to spend is $45,000 to launch your $2000 boat, such a deal .I bet someone would give up their slip for less than $45,000 .

mark erickson
08-09-2003, 11:47 AM
Yikes! - - - $7,000 for the trailer, $2,500 for the Ariel, and what about $33,500 for the truck. Not bad; do you supose I could find a diesel, 4x4, dually for $35,000???? Naw - - - just kidding. For the time being, I think buying a custom trailer is out of the question. Maybe, with Tony's plans, I can build an affordable trailer myself. However, I am back to pondering where I might keep her till I work this all out. Moss Landing officials did say I could at least birth her there in a temporary slip/berth which is a little more expensive than a permanent berth. Monterey harbor says they can accomodate her on a temporary or daily as well. thanks for all the helpful feedback Mates, Mark

Tony G
08-10-2003, 06:47 AM
Mark
Was there a car sales brochure lying around the lobby at the trailer place? Sure, a heavy duty truck would be nice but it certainly isn't a necessity. We pulled 113 six hundred plus miles with a Tahoe. That particular car didn't even have a tranmision cooler. The people that I buy supplies from (who trailer ALOT of heavy stuff)said just make sure you keep the overdrive off. Wisconsin has some topography and we didn't have any problems cruising 60-65mph-smooth like chese.
A year or two ago I read that Yves Gelinas pulled around his boat Jean-du-Sud, an Alberg 30, with a Suburban! If you do some of the fab, work yourself you should be able to beat that 7K price tag!

marymandara
08-10-2003, 08:41 AM
If a person were looking at a one-time go, the boat can be easily moved on a bunk cradle chained down to a flatbed equipment trailer. This gives a pretty high center of gravity, though, and I would heartily suggest a purpose-built trailer with a load-distributing hitch.
As to towing, though, I will say that in my motorsports days I towed a carhauler and a full load of tools and spares all over creation with a 3/4 ton Chevy van with a 350 (albeit a "built" 350--gotta pass those semis going uphill!). Now, on the other hand, if you were looking to pull a Triton or similar, I really would suggest a herky tow vehicle if it was to be done regularly. I think the main investment you will need if you are planning to tow regularly or for long distances is a proper trailer used in combination with a reasonable dose of good sense...no worries!
Best,
Dave

mark erickson
08-11-2003, 12:31 PM
O.K. - - - - I'm located on the central coast @ Monterey Bay, a beautiful place. It seems I've been all over the internet, latitude 38, etc., and called all the local businesses about new or used trailers for my intended, beloved Ariel. Only one business in (San Leandro) so far has helped, but that was for the custom made $7,ooo dual axel trailer; can't do it $$$$$. You know, Maybe a couple grand plus or minus wouldn't be too bad. So yes, I do want a trailer to store the boat on, and to move the boat from the storage yard to the boat ramp which is about 100 yards away. The trailer will most likely never touch the highway; if it does, the ariel will probably not be on the trailer. SO- - - - - - who out there knows of a tandum axal trailer for sale that will haul a 5,500 pound Ariel back and forth (100 yards) to the boat ramp and back to the storage yard? Please send me some good news. The seller of the boat is in a hurry to sell and I'm anxious to buy her and go sailing. Thanks for all your help and patience with the newbie, Mark

marymandara
08-11-2003, 05:48 PM
Mark-
Start calling all the boatyards and boat dealers in the area if you have not already. Remember that it does not have to be exclusively built for an Ariel...most of these trailers have some adjustability built into them. FWIW, until the trailer turned out unavailable due to boat still on, I was going to move the Triton north from Oregon on a trailer built for a Yankee 30, and it would have worked just fine. Do bear in mind, though, the issue of tongue weight and the fact that some trailers built with fin-keeled boats in mind may not be friendly with the Ariel's more forward ballast. Also remember what part of the keel NEEDS to be supported (the boat MUST stand on its' keel and be STEADIED by the jacks--NOT supported!) and what part needs to NOT have weight placed on it (the aft 18" or so.) As long as the center skid of the trailer is long enough, you can achieve whatever else you need by 2X lumber and carriage bolts. Also, if a good deal presents, do not be afraid to have someone cut and paste as needed...one beauty of metal is that it welds nicely!
Best,
Dave

noeta-112
08-12-2003, 11:08 AM
Mark,

I haul and launch NOETA using a chopped mobile home trailer-frame with a wooden cradle. It has a very high center of gravity but has hauled the NOETA over a 100 miles of crowned Maine roads (previous owner) and about 1/4 mile twice a year from my yard to/from the so called boat ramp which is a steeply sloping, pot holed, dbl. S- curved, ledge laden, clay & honey-pot infested truck bustin, axle-cracking, S.O.B. The launching/haulout is accomplished with my Ford F-250 (the only Ford I have ever owned & the LAST) (Leaky hydraulic clutch slave cylinder-clanky 4 wheel drive, etc. etc. ) The trailer attaches to a pintel hook on the truck while the trailer end of the hitch is a large shackle welded to the frame. In 4WD low range it's a piece of cake to haulout and flog the whole wicked mess to death for the sad trip home for the winta. Will try to post photo of trailer. next

R.S.

noeta-112
08-12-2003, 11:36 AM
Mark

Go here to view trailer (www.pearsonariel.org/discussion/showthread.php?threadid=130&perpage=15&pagenumber=4)

commanderpete
08-12-2003, 01:08 PM
Good ole Yankee thrift and ingenuity at work there. That lumber probably came from an old barn.

Any Mainah wud tell ya that's one wicked trailah, finest kind. You cahn keep yer fancy $7000 Californier trailah, Ayup.

mark erickson
08-12-2003, 08:07 PM
Wow! that's some trailer. It gets the job done. I'm inspired. Mark