PDA

View Full Version : Outboard Power

Sea Smoke
08-05-2003, 04:46 PM
I'm getting ready to repower Sea Smoke, and am leaning very heavily towards a Johnson 6 HP with a 20' Shaft. I think that this should have the right combination of weight and power that I need, the manual indicates that many use between a 4 and an 8 HP. I don't plan to motor for extended lengths of time, but might have to at times. WIll this motor do the job for me, will it push an Ariel at a reasonable clip? Inquiring minds want to know!

Bill
08-05-2003, 06:35 PM
Click the search button at the top of the page and type in outboard engine, etc. There have been some very extensive discussions on this question.

In my opinion, your hp sounds ok, but I think you should look at the Tohatsu engines (Nissan, Merc, etc.). They are much lighter, and one of them can be had with a verticle starter pull. You'll find out all about it when you seach.

tcoolidge
08-22-2003, 09:10 PM
Nissan 6hp 4stroke has more than enough power to motor for long distances if need be, will push the boat through stiff chop, fits in well perfectly and will run with lazarette closed (much quieter). Also has vertical pull adapter that you can buy as an accessory. Bought mine last summer and it has performed flawlessly ever since. Would buy another without thinking twice about it.

Mike Goodwin
08-23-2003, 02:24 PM
I have one on #45 and so does Robert with Commander 105. Never any trouble with either .

Hull376
08-23-2003, 10:11 PM
Just took delivery of 6 hp four stroke Nissan myself. Great engine. Can't even look at that heavy smoky, noisy 9.9 merc two stroke anymore.

Bill
12-22-2003, 11:11 AM
The link below is to a chart that lists fuel consumption for Nissan/Tohatsu outboard engines. Interesting to see the difference in fuel consumption between 2 and 4 stroke engines – and how much fuel those 100+ horsepower engines gulp. :eek:

http://www.lebombomarine.com/tohatsu_outboard_fuel_consumption.htm

willie
12-22-2003, 09:32 PM
I've got a 9.9 yamaha 4 stroke in my 'new' ariel, and the lid doesn't close, and it has to weigh a bunch. Has anyone tried to modify the lid, or any other ideas? I like the idea of having the power, but it's kinda overkill I think. Thinking about trading it for a nissan 6 hp 4 stroke. Haven't really looked into what the difference in cash would be, but it sure would be nice to have the lid close. If anyone knows someone that would like a nice yamaha for christmas...

Hull376
12-23-2003, 08:44 AM
Get a 6 HP four stroke Nissan/Tohatsu!!! Get a lower pitch prop than the stock 8" (they have a 7" for sure). I was in Galveston Bay yesterday in really big chop and 25 knot gusts and my boat moved along just fine heading right into it at less than 2/3 throttle. This option would mean no (fiberglass) plastic surgery to your well, no messing up the fine lines of the craft, and most importantly, far less weight in the stern, and far less risk to you of having to visit the back doctor's office. I have a fairly new Merc 9.9 two stroke in the garage, but I wouldn't even think about putting it back in my boat! I think Nissan/Tohatsu recently introduced a new 8hp four stroke, but I don't know what the weight penalty or price is. You can get the 6hp Tohatsu/Nissan online for $1,100-$1,200 online.

http://www.marine-outboards.com/Nissan_Outboards_Boat_Motors_Pages/Nissan_Marine_6_HP_Outboard_Boat_Motor.htm

Brendan Watson
12-25-2003, 02:41 PM
Consensus suggests the nissan-four-stroke, 6HP. Its a nice,
light ,quiet, engine with adequate power from it's single
cylinder. I'm drooling over the new 8hp. twin cylinder version.
Cheers,B.
Commander#215

Tony G
12-25-2003, 08:38 PM
I really like the idea of the four stroke, 6hp. But what about us lazy hacks that want electric start and an alternator?

tcoolidge
12-26-2003, 08:07 AM
The engines don't come with a charging system but there is one available from the manufacturer that can be added easily. (for a fee, of course) It's not high voltage but would charge the batteries and run lights, which is about all you can hope for from a 6hp engine. Electric start would definitely be nice but I haven't run across that anywhere. Might be the price you pay to get small and light.

Tom

John
12-26-2003, 01:36 PM
Regarding the low voltage charging. I find with my Johnson 9.9, that my battery is fully charged when I pull it for winter storage. I do have to admit that it gets a five mile run under power from the mooring to the yard before I pull it. I only have had occasional times when I hve not had enough juice to start the motor. I think with normal use, these low power chargers are able to keep the battery topped off.

I also have been very happy to have my 9.9 when I have had to enter (or exit) the Blynman Canal in Gloucester against the tide. One time I watched a Cheoy Lee 27 struggle just under the bridge for about 15 minutes before it was able to exit the cut.

I hope that everyone had a nice holiday and had dreams of great sailing to give them comfort.

John G.
Valhalla
Commander No 287

sailshak
12-27-2003, 08:08 AM
Regarding the motor, 6 hp should be fine. I used to have a 1966 Evinrude 6 hp in my old Ariel. It was heavy-new motors are much lighter-yet moved the boat well even in stiff breeze and chop. Charging system for the motor is really not needed unless you are not in a slip with shore power. I have a charger mounted in my current boat that will fully charge the batteries and keep them charged. I moved my boat to New Orleans for about 3 months to race on Wednesday nights and didn't need to charge. Get a gel battery and you are in business.:)

Sprite
01-09-2004, 08:39 AM
I went with a Tohatsu 9.8 2 stroke electric start. The 4 strokes were kind of big for the motor well. I was looking for the same form factor as the 8 hp Tohatsu Manual start that came with the boat. The boat had the ignition and shift so I decided to take advantage of it

Captain John :)

Bill
01-09-2004, 09:53 AM
How much does that thing weigh?

Sprite
01-10-2004, 07:16 AM
Bill

It weighs 59.4 pounds for the 8hp Tohatsu and 9.8 two stroke.

Captain John

The four stroke is like 116 pounds