PDA

View Full Version : SPINNAKER QUESTION

mrgnstrn
07-22-2003, 06:43 AM
how is the halyard run for your (all y'all's) spinnaker?
does it run through a block on a crane at the masthead and external to the mast?
or does it run through a block on a crane and into the sheave on the mast and then inside the mast to the step?
or is it just through the sheave at the masthead, without crane and extra block?

currently i only have one halyard up there, which stays up all the time due to the roller furling. when i called a rigging shop about helping me out with rigging the spin, they told me that it was going to be quite complicated, crane, external block, and external halyard.

any thoughts?
thanks

Mike Goodwin
07-22-2003, 02:59 PM
#45 and #105 are both external from the masthead. I keep both ends tied to the bow pulpit on both boats.

Dan Maliszewski
07-22-2003, 04:01 PM
Same same on #199 Ariel. Plus a block for the spinnaker pole lift about halfway up the mast, also external. And don't forget the sliding spinnaker pole ring about three feet up from the mast base on it's own track. And the extra sheet blocks WAY back near the stern on rails. And the new cupholders you'll need to contain the additional libations needed when you try to set the 'chute and keep it filled.

Hull376
07-22-2003, 07:22 PM
Ditto on 376, external at masthead. Should not be complicated!

mrgnstrn
07-23-2003, 09:26 AM
i was planning on just putting a standard bolt-on mast ring for the pole. i have a fiend with the whole "mast-ring on a car on a track and extra rigging and winch to adjust it vertically" but want to keep it simple.

if i was to just put a ring on the mast, how high off the deck? 3', 3.5' 4' etc?

the bastardized thing about my boat is that it has the pole, has the extra turning blocks at the extreme aft of the toe-rail, extra sheets labeled spin-sheets, and for that matter, the darn spinnaker.
but somewhere along the line, the PO must have re-rigged the mast or totally replaced. my other evidence is the fact that there is a used boom vang, but no attachment points on the boom or mast for it. and the spinnaker, sheets, topping lift, pole and everything, but no hardware on the mast to attach it to. it is totally weird and inconsistent.

now to the details of the external halyard blocks:
where did you buy the masthead ring they are attached to? did it come with the boat? any ideas on where to buy one so that this whole rigging thing could be DIY?

much grass.

Dan Maliszewski
07-23-2003, 10:42 AM
376 is right - this is not a complicated rig. If it ever quits raining today here in Jersey, I'll try and get some pictures of the rig on Adele M. I'm sure it's just a block shackled to the masthead with a braided halyard..

mrgnstrn
07-24-2003, 10:25 AM
it would be really cool and much appreciated if someone could take a closeup of their masthead.

last time i looked up there, i couldn't see anything i could hang a block off of. seriously! but i am going to really closely study it this weekend when i take a trip up the mast.

ebb
07-24-2003, 03:27 PM
gee, if Buzz Ballenger would buzz me
to say he'd completed 338s new masthead
fitting with a spinaker bail welded on
I could at least described it in so many words.

Would anybody care to enumerate just
what is the ideal
masthead fitting
for external lines?

The sheeve in the mast is frozen solid.
What other good things would be
handy to have way
up there on the top?

More blocks? a douple sheeve?
Something special about the bail?
:confused:

Bill
07-24-2003, 06:34 PM
We removed and repaired the large masthead sheave by inserting a bronze bearing. There are drawings in the manual. It seems to me that saving that sheave would be a good idea. Other halyards can be (and are) used with blocks attached to the mast below the masthead pulley.

Tony G
07-24-2003, 08:44 PM
nine replys and nobody has a picture of a spinaker:D

Bill
07-24-2003, 10:11 PM
To see a spinnaker go to the Gallery fourm and find the WINTER RACING IN THE SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA thread. There's a spinnaker photo about five or so down.

Dan Maliszewski
07-25-2003, 06:35 AM
My avoirdupois inhibits my mast acrobatics these days, but here are a few digital squints at the Adele M's masthead. Although rigged, I do not fly the dreaded spinnaker. Death roll and all that....

mrgnstrn
07-25-2003, 07:09 AM
do i have this labeled correctly?

Dan Maliszewski
07-25-2003, 08:17 AM
Yes, Captain, except what looks like a spin topping lift block is really that fitting between the jib halyard wire and rope. Here are some more pix..

Dan Maliszewski
07-25-2003, 08:23 AM
A little different angle..

Dan Maliszewski
07-25-2003, 08:24 AM
Here's the block location..

Dan Maliszewski
07-25-2003, 08:26 AM
And here's the happy spinnaker pole ring on it's track..

mrgnstrn
08-23-2003, 05:28 PM
maybe this will show you why i am scratching my head.
there is nowhere to hang a block.
how frustrating.
but since this photo was taken a new windex has been installed.

Vines
05-07-2007, 02:23 PM
I am trying to figure out the same thing for by C-229. My masthead looks just like the picture above except that I am not using the rolling sleeve inside the masthead for the job halyard. I wonder if it would be possible to use the bolt that holds the roller furling stay. I could put a U-shaped bracket that goes on either side of the masthead and put the bolt through it. How do I keep my mast from falling if I want to take out this bolt? Why is your jib halyard running through a guide on the front of the mast? Looks like an awkward angle when the jib is up. Death roll!?!?!?!? Sounds scary.

Vines
05-07-2007, 02:36 PM
Okay, I just noticed that this topic came up in 2003! But I still have the same questions.

Vines
05-07-2007, 02:36 PM
...and, MRGNSTRN, how did you solve your problem?

mrgnstrn
05-08-2007, 05:47 AM
...well, I don't know if I have pictures of it now since I sold #3 to a nice family in NC...
But to the best of my memory, I bought a "double halyard crane" from Rigrite.com.
http://www.rigrite.com/Spars/SparParts/MH_Spinnaker_bails.html
I think I got the part number SP-083-1D.
That particular one had the mounting holes close enough together to actually fit on the "flat top" of the masthead assembly.

Then while I had the mast down for other reasons, I basically bolted it onto the top flat surface of the masthead. Well...bolting is the wrong term...I drilled and tapped directly into the top face (no nut on the other side). This was because the sheaves up there don't allow room for a nut on the other side.

Then I just hung a pair of blocks on either loop, ran halyards and I was good to go. I only flew the spinnaker 2 times before I sold the old girl, but maybe C-Amos could give a report on how the setup is working.

As for that strange looking thing that the jib halyard goes through, it is the "halyard restrainer". It is there to keep the halyard comforably AWAY from the forestay and foil so that they don't get twisted when I furl the jib. Take a look at the HARKEN website or the SHAEFER website for more details on roller furler installation, but that in one of the recommended things.

commanderpete
06-27-2008, 10:10 AM
I installed this spinnaker crane since I wanted to get the spin halyard out in front of the roller furler.

http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=17

The front two holes in the spinnaker crane line up almost exactly with the existing holes in the masthead casting. I drilled through the casting for the rear hole.

The spinnaker crane is almost 2 inches wide on the inside--much wider than the masthead casting. I put a shim of starboard on each side so it fits tight.

Sorry I didn't take any decent pictures.

I see they also make a spnnaker crane for the C22, but I didn't look into that one