PDA

View Full Version : water tank

mrgnstrn
03-03-2003, 09:18 AM
this may be elsewhere in the forum, but who has sucessfully replaced their bow water tank with another bow tank?
i read the manual, and it gave sketchy details about where to go, but if anyone has successfully done it, which company/model number did you go for?
and this isn't limited to just the bow tanks, has anybody done the homework on which saddle tanks would fit under the forward berth, between the bow tank and the main bulkhead/strongback?

just wondering. i was attempting to go from the ariel lines drawing in the manual to get an estimated space envelope for saddle tanks under the forward berth, but never really got far on that.

much thanks!:)

Richard
03-03-2003, 06:44 PM
Also...has anybody added a holding tank? If so, I'd be interested in details.

Bill
03-03-2003, 08:20 PM
Please review the earlier posts. This subject has been discussed.

Mike Goodwin
06-28-2003, 06:15 PM
Spent the afternoon ripping the watertank out of the forepeak. What a bear of a job, but the Sawzall won. Nice space for a locker.

Bill
06-28-2003, 09:34 PM
If the water tank is one of the Monel models, I think there is someone on the board who would like to purchase it.

Mike Goodwin
06-29-2003, 04:30 AM
Not unless they were a good welder, it is in several pieces and it is very rusty , so I'd say it is plain steel. The inside was all rusted up bad , the outside was like new except around the filler cap . The baffle inside was paper thin and crumbled away.

Tony G
06-29-2003, 06:02 AM
Mike
A bear of a job indeed! Was your water tank held in with some blue resin-like globs? If so, what was that stuff? It sure made a mess with the grinder.
Are you intendeing to put in another water tank of some sort somewhere? What kind of locker? Tony G

Mike Goodwin
06-29-2003, 08:24 AM
Tony,
My tank was glassed in with regular resin that looked like the rest of the hull. It had a strip of glass about 6" wide down P&S sides of the top of the tank. I just took an old chisel and got under the edge and worked it loose. Hard to believe it was still holding since 1962, not bad for polyester.
It will be a general storage locker, for spares and items not needed on a regular basis, since it is under the vee-berth. I'll take some photos of the hole I made and the old tank in the dumpster.

Mike Goodwin
06-29-2003, 11:40 AM
The wide end.

Mike Goodwin
06-29-2003, 11:42 AM
see how rusty the inside is.

Mike Goodwin
06-29-2003, 11:44 AM
Part of the tabs that held it in place.

Mike Goodwin
06-29-2003, 11:45 AM
The hole it came out of.

Bill
06-29-2003, 11:52 AM
Looks like the photo in the manual :)

Very definately one of the early galvanized steel tanks Pearson used. Someone once said that galvanized tankage was an old wooden boat thing . . :confused:

Mike Goodwin
06-29-2003, 05:35 PM
Yep, I removed a galvanised water tank in 1977 from a wooden boat I had, it was built in 1954. That was no fun job either, had to colapse it and pull it out through the engine hatch.

Dan Maliszewski
06-30-2003, 12:04 PM
Holy Crap! It's deja vu all over again. This year fitting out when I went to replace the water line from the tank to the electric pump the tank nipple came loose and the whole tank emptied into the bilge. Now the nipple just flops around and I havn't looked into fixing it yet. Any pix on how the tank discharge fitting (Monel tank) is attached? Anyone?

Bill
06-30-2003, 12:37 PM
I have one in the garage. I'll check tonight.

Ted
07-01-2003, 07:19 PM
I too have the RUSTY steel tank and plan to replace it this season. Thanks for the pix of the hole! Would you give a few more details on the project?

Where have you relocated the new tank?
What tank did you buy?
How did you decide where to cut -- it looks like you did a beautiful job and if I can do that good a job, I can use the 'hole' for a hinged lid for storage!

Thanks again for the nice pix!

Ted

Bill
07-01-2003, 09:54 PM
A quick check of the Monel tank in my garage reveals that the copper discharge fitting may be welded or solderd into the tank. Too much white stuff to tell for sure, but I pretty certain it's not a threaded fitting.

Bill
07-01-2003, 09:56 PM
BTW - the manual has a description of removing the tank including measurements.:)

Ted
07-02-2003, 12:19 PM
Thanks Bill.

Can you give a few details on the manual? Is there a table of contents on-line for the manual? Who is the author?

Thanks!

Bill
07-02-2003, 02:23 PM
Yours truly is the editor. No, there is no on line index or TOC. Click the banner on the home page for information.

Dan Maliszewski
07-05-2003, 06:53 AM
Bill,

Thanx for the info. Looks like I'll be yanking it out-but after the sailing season. I'll be purchasing the Manual just as soon as I get these fishhooks out of my pocket. The forward storage space idea has real appeal to my lovely and talented Adele. Any more info out there?

c_amos
12-26-2005, 08:38 AM
Day before yesterday while filling my water tank I picked up what appears to be yet another clue to the past ownership of #226.

I had removed the plywood over the tank (not required to fill it, just taking a look while I was there) and noticed that the tank was much better secured then I rememberd from reading this thread.

There is a tag on my tank that says it was made in 1984. I thought I was reading it wrong (my boat was made in 1964) but it is pretty clear.

I am one of the few people I know who admits to drinking the water from the storage tank on board. Most folks I talk to say that they won't. http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussion/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif 20 years after this tank was installed, it is still clean (enough) that the water is drinkable.

So, the glassed in bilge ballast.... The white laminate..... and a 1984 Monel water tank.

Who ever you are..... Thanks. http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussion/images/smilies/smile.gif