PDA

View Full Version : Marine Etiquette - Bloody Sails

Theis
06-16-2003, 06:31 AM
Is there a standard of marine etiquette as to blood on the sails?

Should they be left in place?

a. To show my patriotism. Now my sail is red, white and blue, with each blood spot representing 10 states (the Ariel emblem and sail numbers are blue).

b. To show guests how much fun sailing is.

c. To show what happens to a crew member that doesn't follow the skipper's instructions.

d. To show everyone how bad the storm was.

e. To show everyone how courageous the skipper is.

f. To show everyone how old the boat is.

g. Other (please describe)

If you believe the blood stains should be removed, how should it be done?

a. Rubbing compound

b. Soaking in the lake for several days

c. Let the sun bleach it.

d. Using a razor knife, cut the stained patches out of the sail.

e. Use sail patch tape to cover the blood stains.

f. Take the sail into a commercial carpet cleaner.

g. Have my wife take care of it.

h. Other (please describe)

Thanks for the insight on customs and manners. As for how the blood got there, a fight ensued when we tried to throw a crew member overboard in the middle of the lake. In the past, the operation has not been so messy.

commanderpete
06-17-2003, 06:37 AM
I say leave it alone as a warning for the crew not to drink the last beer.

Does bring to mind a joke, that goes something like this:

A merchant ship was sailing down in the Caribbean back in the 1700's. Suddenly a pirate ship hove into view and began closing. The Captain of the merchant ship cleared for action. Then he cried out "Bring me my red shirt!"

He put on the red shirt and a furious battle ensued. The pirates were beaten off. Afterwards, the cabin boy asked the Captain "Why did you call for your red shirt, Cap'n?" The Captain replied that if he were wounded in battle, the crew wouldn't see him bleeding and would fight on.

The ship sailed on until one day the lookout spotted a fleet of pirate ships bearing down. 10 pirate ships full of bloodthirsty buccaneers!

The Captain cried out: "Bring me my brown pants!"

Theis
07-01-2003, 07:22 AM
That appears to lead me to the answers - either get more blood on the boat and sails, or get rid of the stains entirely. I might also add an outdoor john for the other extreme you referenced.