PDA

View Full Version : ??? Atomic4 reliability

ronjon
06-04-2003, 12:29 PM
Considering the purchase of an 1964 Ariel w/ Atomic 4 inboard.
No experience w/ inboard engines. Would like any feedback/input as to how reliable I could expect the engine to be. Had a semi-rebuild in 1999 - new valves, head, gasket,
new fuel pump, carburetor. Thanks for any info.

Bill
06-04-2003, 01:21 PM
These engines have proven to be very reliable, when maintained:) There are several Web sites devoted to the Atomic 4, but I don't have access to the URL's right now. Type Atomic-4 into Google's seach window and you should find them.

S.Airing
06-04-2003, 07:04 PM
The Atomic 4 is a very reliable engine,but of course like anything its what you put into it.Ive worked on many Atomic4s that have let people down only because they seem to be forgotten untill needed and are not maintained.I see that the Ariel your looking at has had a top end done to the engine so it would seem you would in good shape.The engine is over powered for the boat I only use about 12 horse power out of the 30 available.

French
06-04-2003, 10:26 PM
Hmmmm, first I've seen from this angle . Looks like and old flathead Ford

S.Airing
06-05-2003, 11:14 AM
Yep your right French it is a flat head with only 6 to 1 compression.Its probably the most simple engine in the world to work on,but it still needs to be maintained,something most sailors dont seem to do. Mine only burns about 1/2 a gallon of gas an hour and pushes me along a full hull speed in any condition and is as quiet as your cars engine unlike a diesel engine.

Ted
07-01-2003, 07:08 PM
The Atomic 4 is a wonderul engine. Mine is 40 years old and raw water cooled. When I pulled it to rebuild it, I did EVERYTHING (new pistons, balanced, etc.) even though amazingly it needed nothing! I'll admit, it has been well maintained! All parts are available to do anything you want for this engine via Moyer Marine or Indigo Electronics. And Bill Moyer will walk you through anything you need to do to the engine; he gave me free advice for 10 years before he made more than $50 off of me!

Ted