PDA

View Full Version : masthead problem

noeta-112
01-06-2002, 06:55 AM
Hi all,
I'm new to the forum and new to having a sailboat. (ariel #112).

Well I've got a cracked masthead and was just wondering if anyone knows where I might pick up another short of having a new one cast. Failing to find one used and reasonable in cost I intend to bolt on two slabs of aluminum plate and drill the holes for the back stay block, etc. One of the "dogears" where the pin goes through for the backstay block has cracked through.:(

Anyway, this is a great board and all of you seem very helpful and I hope that as I gain experience with my ariel and sailing in general that I may have something to offer besides questions.

Covered in snow woe...

Bill
01-06-2002, 06:43 PM
This is a new problem to me. Maybe someone will respond who's had a problem with their masthead casting. If replacement rudder shoe castings are any indication, getting a new masthead casting should not be too expensive or difficult, but that's only a guess.:p

Theis
01-09-2002, 04:14 PM
I too had the problem with the masthead casting being broken. In my case one the "ears" had broken off.

The prior owner put a plate, perhaps it was 1/4" thick, on the side of the masthead fitting with the broken ear, and bolted the plate to the side through the solid center of the masthead casting. That worked for more than a decade, although I don't know if it was by luck or because of engineering design.

When I redid my Ariel, I removed the masthead casting and had a plate welded by my local steel supply house to cover the full length of the casting. That fitting is too important to take any chance on corrosion or something else not benign. So I did it right.

The plate is the approximate shape of the entire side of the casting, including both ears on the one side, so it totally overlaps the flat side of the casting. Additionally a smaller plate, with a thickness and shape similar to the broken ear, was welded to replace the missing ear, so that the gap between the port and starboard ears remained approximately what it was originally.

He also welded a plate similar to the full plate on to the good side of the masthead, just to be sure nothing on the other side broke. The way it is now, I don't think one of those Daisy chain bombs they used in Afganistan would break the casting - which is the way it should be! Hope that helps and makes sense.

noeta-112
01-15-2002, 09:30 AM
Thanks Bill and Theis!
Theis, I was considering the bolt-on route as you know...but will now consult with our local fab guy re the weld-on route which you've convinced me is the better way to go! The additional dogear plate piece to maintain the correct spacing had occured to me also and was glad you mentioned it. While at it I'll see if he'll dig me out a couple of s.steel plates to bolster the support for the mast. It isn't sagging much (almost negligible) but ... an ounce of prevention.....
;)

Cya