PDA

View Full Version : water tank coating

ebb
05-14-2003, 08:40 AM
As said befor, no company or supplier will admit to a product's use as a potable water tank liner. In the USA.

At this posting, one coating, an "extra hard" bisphenal epichlorohydrin epoxy will be used for the new gas tanks*. And is the leading candidate for coating the inside of the V-berth water tanks. Actaully I will use the epoxy in frp lamination with glass mat. Rolling on extra coats of plastic at the end for smoothness and to fill any 'pin holes.'
{Ended up, instead of novolac epoxy, painting the inside of the potable tanks with a potable water tank coating from epoxyproducts.com.}

The monomer 'bisphenol' has been unsuccesfully tested as a hormone disruptor. Nobody seems to agree on the methodology. Epichlorohydrin (made from allyl chroride, chlorine and lime milk) has no acceptable means of detection in drinking water where it is used (probably by your local water dept) as a "quaternary ammonium flocculent for raw and potable water clarification" ie it coagulates suspended particles for easier removal - rather than plain filtering, or centrifuging.

Epi. is used in epoxy resins (it is the epoxy lacquer inside your cans of spinach & tuna fish,) as a crosslinking agent like for synthetic rubber in your tires. It is used for your brominated pharmacueticals and agrochemicals, for your barbituates as seditives, and (best of all::)) for synthetic fragrances and flavors. Sounds almost edible.

Did find a tank maker up in Maine that would make tanks to my models out of food-grade HDPE or s.s. for $825 each. Add $500 for shipping to CA, and the cost of shipping the doorskin models to ME. My faith in US tankcraft expertise somewhat restored, I could not swallow the shipping. So built-in frp (extra hard) tanks is the only way to go now.
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................
*WAY way later post: Struggled with the efficacy of built in epoxy tanks for gas. Have to nix it. I've even given these small tanks in the
lazerette another interior coating of a novolac epoxy supposedly used to line & repair motorcycle gasttanks. Modern gas has alcohol and
other solvents in it. Solvents are spectacularly suspicious and plastic is plastic. I sold the Yamaha OB. My body has developed a strong
dislike of petro solvents. ElcoElectricLaunch is now making electric OB in the 5-8-10hp range using the Yamaha OB frame. No way will I
afford an electric OB and LiFePo4 batteries... but there's no other way to go, imco... for auxiliary power & auxiliary longevity. No way back.
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .
EDIT 8/24/2016. For anybody actually looking for a paint-on potable water novolac tank coating... my 'research' recently discovered that
regulating agencies admit that 95% of children, adolescents, adults in this country have trace amounts of BPH, nonlyphenol, and phthalates
in our systems. Most affected is our endocrine system which cannot tell the difference between plastic molecules and natural hormones.
The plastic industry here is effectively not regulated, whereas the EU has banned these chemicals in plasrtic products. Recently tests have
shown that endocrine disruptors are turning up in non-BPH plastics. Imco we have an uncontrollable plastics plague. These disruptors turn
men into women,women into men, cause breast development in children, cleft pallets and other birth defects, breast and prostate cancer.
Your child can pass on to his child your disrupted hormones. I've just had my prostate removed. Relate some of that problem to toxic epoxy
exposure. We cannot trust our federal regulatory agencies. It may actually be true that all plastics are toxic... So what do we do? Shrug
shoulders, take our chances. Grandkid's DNA, it's his problem!
No, I'd find another way to store water. Vetus rubber tanks are a form of plastic. Imco, novolac (Bisphenol F), sold as tank lining is just as
likely to leach BPF into your fresh water as every plastic.
See thread Epoxy allergic reactions.

John
05-14-2003, 02:33 PM
All right, after seeing the quote that Ebb got for tanks, I went back and looked at Vetus tanks Their triangular tank is about 26 gal. full, but would not fit into the bow area of the old tank.. Has anybody used one of the bladders for water in the bow? And how has it worked out.

I will also be running a fill up to the deck at the bow. If I get that done now, I can plumb in a tank anytime...Well mostly any time. Dumb weather here in Boston wants to rain on my gel coat work...So much for Spring.

John G.
Valhalla
Commander No. 287

ebb
05-14-2003, 03:25 PM
Capt J., the quote is for fairly complicated shape and fabrication to exact specs. The same people might well quote a reasonable price for a simple yet custom bow tank. There is an easy to use tank site: www.oceanlinkinc.com over to you in RI that may have a readymade bow tank. Actually, they are special order roto-molded polyethylene (considered the best overall for water) - you tell them where to put the holes. Have no personal experience here.

What do you do with a bladder when it gets ripe? Toss it? Half fill it with soapy water and punch it around for awhile? I figure maintenance is half the deal.

John
05-14-2003, 04:18 PM
I did go to their site and they are quoting about $200 +/- for tanks close to my measurements....Hmmmmm. That is certainly a lot different than the $800 you were looking at, and competitive with a bladder.

I have heard people accused of leaky bladders before but had not realized that they may be boaters ....or EVEN sailors. I think what you do is half fill the bladder.... and then go play in a force 7 storm..

Just like normal in SF, I'm told.

John G
Vahalla
Commander No. 287