PDA

View Full Version : Mainsail track lube

French
05-12-2003, 03:53 PM
Greetings

I often have trouble raising my main sail due to drag from the track. I have tried WD 40 which works ok, also Olive oil ( environmentally thinking ) which also works. None of which last long. I'm thinking giving a beewax a shot this weekend.

What are you Guys N Gals using??

Mike Goodwin
05-12-2003, 06:36 PM
Beeswax is the traditional lube and it works.

French
05-12-2003, 07:09 PM
Do you just buy a candle or are there jars out there? Seems like west marine beeswax would be somewhat pricey.

Mike Goodwin
05-13-2003, 01:37 PM
It comes in cakes, about 3"x 3" x1" and is cheap.My last cake has lasted about 15 years.
Candles are not beeswax , but parafin wax and not as good at all.

dasein668
05-14-2003, 05:31 AM
Wait a minute... Beeswax candles are, indeed, beeswax.... Your garden variety home-improvement store candles are paraffin, but one could actually buy a beeswax candle and use that.... If they were so inclined! ;)

French
05-14-2003, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the info Mike.

I have been checking into that, and in the process see that West Marine does have some spray stuff that is suppose to last longer than teflon spray, beeswax or whatever. only 4.oo for a small can.

I may give it a shot since I need a couple of things from the big WM.

And.. Yes, dasein668 is correct, here in the land of Health foods, natural products, and environmental concerns,,, beeswax candles are really made from... beeswax

Mike Goodwin
05-14-2003, 02:50 PM
Thats a left coast thing!

Theis
05-14-2003, 06:35 PM
I have gone a more conventional route using McLube Sailkote Dry Lubricant. A can, for $9.99 has lasted me three years. You can find it in the West catalog on page 914. I spray the sliders and the lower part of the track (I would spray the upper part if I remembered before raising the mast.) The stuff works pretty well, is easy and clean to apply, and lasts a good while.

I also notice on page 903 Fastrac Sail Track Lubricant which you can put on the entire mast track. I looks pretty neat and will be the one I will use next as soon as my can of McLube is empty - a couple years out.