PDA

View Full Version : motor mounts

natalie e.
04-30-2003, 05:20 PM
Please,did the original atomic 4 engine sit on motor mounts on top of stringers or was it hard mounted to the pine stringers.:confused:

S.Airing
04-30-2003, 08:06 PM
On Sirocco,the Atomic 4 is hard mounted to the stringers without motor mounts, just shims

natalie e.
05-01-2003, 06:37 PM
Thank you for your reply S. Airing. I would imagine being hard mounted to the boat would cause much vibration to the boat,has anyone added motor mounts to elevate this if in fact you do find it to be a problem.

S.Airing
05-01-2003, 07:42 PM
Atomic 4s run smooth ,they dont vibrate like a diesel,if you insulate around the enging compartment you cant even hear it running.There is no need for motor mounts unless you need to adjust the engine angle for the stuffing box.

natalie e.
05-01-2003, 08:34 PM
Thanks again S. Airing, I feel confindent about proceding with my engine instillation. The engine I pulled out,and will be reinstalling is actually a 45-4 Gray Marine, do you have any knowledge of these motors, and any tips on reinstillation. This is a project I,am learning as I go.

Mike Goodwin
05-02-2003, 04:11 AM
I've installed a lot of motors in a lot of boats , on mounts and rigid .
One thing to consider, if you use flexable mounts , then you must use a flexable coupling to prevent whipping the shaft and trashing the cutlass bearing, and possibly the thrust bearing in the transmission.
Inline gas engines rarely vibrate like big V-8's and that is more of a torque twist.

Either way , you should put in a new cutlass bearing , they are cheap and can only be done with the shaft out , so now's the time.

natalie e.
05-02-2003, 08:04 PM
:) :) :) Thanks, Mike Goodwin I will update you as I go, and send pictures of my labor of love.