PDA

View Full Version : inspection ports

ebb
04-22-2003, 07:34 AM
you know , I don't even know the name of these animals.
I'm looking for waterProof inspection plates or cleanout hatches for water and fuel tanks. It isn't the usual screw-in bronze or plastic deck plate. What I think I'm searching for are plates with multiple bolts that pierce the tank where you want the cleanout and have a lid held semi-permanently in place with nuts and a fancy rubber gasket.

Henderson in the UK makes such a fitting (tho I have not actually seen it) that has fuel attachments in the plate: level gauge, vent, supply. I have Not found a US maker or distributor. It seems to me to be a very good product.

Especially if it is available for gas tanks.

Tho I could use a similar one for water tanks. Help, anyone????????

Tony G
04-23-2003, 05:05 AM
Ebb
I know exactly what you're talking about! Can't find those things anywhere:D Check with the home built airplanes folks. That's how tis whole 'sailing thing' started for me 'bout ten years ago-I found that a Hinkley Pilot 35 was just a little less than a home-made plane and alot safer! The Berkut is the beast where I last saw what it is you desire.

ebb
04-23-2003, 07:07 AM
That's right Tony, I'll see what goggle produces, again. I've bumbled into the flightboy's sites on the tank issue a number of times. They are good on builtin tanks, sculpting great aerodynamic shapes, and keeping things light. Tho damn hard to understand what the hell they're talking about sometimes!

It would be possible to make your own studded rings and plates, but for me, anyway, very time consuming. It's probably possible to have them sent over from the UK. The inspection hatches, the Henderson, is already expensive, add the cost of shipping etc, and it's bordering on foolish. Yet... Yet, I want to touch one first.

There's probably 100,000 sites on tanks alone, you'ld think you'ld run into one of them that would have them available to the consumer, here. There are stringent regulations about fuel tanks in the US, insurance and liability issues that maybe the cause. There must be a market. In the UK there is!

The famous Henderson Mark IV manual waste pump from Ireland is certainly available here. Assuming that the inspection hatch is the same manufacturer, somebody is missing the boat.

We're so rich in this country, except for you and me, Tony, that when it gets to the point you have to clean out your tanks you just go out and buy a new boat!:rolleyes:

ebb
04-23-2003, 07:34 AM
Hey, just very quick visited one guy's Berkut site. Talk about engineering and craftsmanship! The plane looks like something from the Juriassic period. Couldn't find that plate in his photos, but I'll look later. There are companies that supply parts to these nuts, and custom molding shops. Later....