PDA

View Full Version : Hull Shape

Toby
04-02-2003, 11:14 AM
I'm wondering if anyone has offset lines and numbers for their Commander/Ariel. I suspect one could gleen this info from Alberg's original drawing included in the manual, but free advice is always preferred. Reason being is my boat's co-owner is a closet naval architect and wants to see how the hull looks and behaves on a computer screen. If it's any incentive, I'm sure he'd be happy to share whatever interesting facts he unearths with the owners' group. Thanks much for any help.

louosten
04-08-2003, 02:28 PM
Toby;
You can get a copy of Alberg's drawings for the Ariel/Commander where Carl donated most of his designs...from the Peabody Essex Museum. They're not real cheap at $22 per sheet, but will probably tell you everything you ever wanted to know about the hull. I have a name and contact number that I'll post later. I was trying to get 25D drawings, but apparently, no Cape Dory stuff was in the group.
Lou Ostendorff
CD25D Karma

louosten
04-08-2003, 06:21 PM
To all interested parties;
The following is some information I obtained from the Peabody Essex Museum about Carl Alberg's donated designs. The Ariel/Commander drawings can be had for $22.50/sheet; there are 4 or 5 sheets (?) according to the Assistant Curator (George Schwartz). You should send your inquiry to Christine_Michelini@pem.org for processing. Attached to this post is an Excel spreadsheet the museum sent me containing the listings for Carl's donated work. It is not all inclusive as stated before. Enjoy!
Lou Ostendorff
CD25D Karma

louosten
04-08-2003, 06:38 PM
Readers;
Note, Excel converted to zip file for posting...sorry.
Lou O.

walberts
06-22-2005, 06:41 AM
The Peabody Essez Museum in Salem, MA has Carl Alberg's original plans for the Ariel. They are available at $20 a sheet. Contact the Marine History Department at 800-745-4054. They will accept credit cards.

Sprite
06-22-2005, 04:40 PM
Yeah Peabody Essex has the plans
and their Photographic department handles the
requests for copies they were closer to $90.00 though.
Due to size. They take it from Carl Albergs hand written
tracings they cool and detailed with what he had in mind
for the Ariel. I recently directed a member of the power squadron
I belong to them because she had an Ensign.

;) Sprite

Mike Goodwin
06-22-2005, 07:18 PM
I have a set , came with #45. I can shoot hi-res digital 6.5 megapixel shots for anyone.

Theis
06-23-2005, 08:43 AM
That would be neat. I'd like a copy (cost?) if the A/C association doesn't pick up the opportunity. Thanks.

Bill
06-24-2005, 10:16 AM
I'd like a copy (cost?) if the A/C association doesn't pick up the opportunity.

The Alberg lines drawing is printed in the manual with the permission of the Peabody museum. We are not permitted to sell copies of the full scale original. The museum will photocopy the drawing for you, but to get a true duplicate they will need to have a reprographics service do the job (i.e., blueprint service). Kinko's might have the proper machine in some locations, but most won't :)

ElBeethoven
06-24-2005, 12:27 PM
Bill et al.,

#120 has an original set of line drawings from the factory, one of the nice profile and sail plan and another with three "X-ray" views (dorsal, lateral and anterior) of the hull. The former has a small "7" circled in the bottom right corner, and the latter has an "8" in the same manner.

Are these in any way rare or valuable? If so, I'd be far more comfortable turning them over to someone or an institution that could see to it that they are properly cared for rather than letting them sit aboard and slowly dissolve in the salt air. Alternatively, I'd frame the profile/sailplan one and store the other in a safe place at my parents' home.

Jeremy

Bill
06-24-2005, 12:37 PM
Bill et al.,

#120 has an original set of line drawings from the factory ...Jeremy

Pearson sold copies of their blueprints for the boats sail plan, hull cross section and deck plan. Before the company expired, the Association obtained a bunch of other drawings and they are replicated in the manual's appendix. Included wilth the first edition of the manual (1984) was a set of the blue prints you have. If you have those, you may even have a copy of the Association's original manual. ;)

Bill
06-24-2005, 03:48 PM
A bit more explanation about the blueprints is in order. An Ariel skipper back in the '80's was a draftsperson at GE in San Jose. Jean Lee drew new copies of Pearson's Ariel drawings, which we then had duplicated on one of the last blueprint machines around here (City College in SF). The blueprints were included in the binder holding the 1984 edition of the manual.

The Association has the original Lee drawings, but we have not recently looked into duplication costs. If past experience is any guide (five years ago), the large plans would run about $10 to copy. Then there would be the cost of a mailing tube, insurance and postage = $15?

Lee's drawings can be seen in the appendix to the Revised Manual (pp.146 - 148).