PDA

View Full Version : Rudder Bearings

Brendan Watson
03-20-2003, 09:10 PM
Does anyone have a line on rudder bearings for the Ariel/Commander?
Mine has a small crack in the shoulder and I would like to replace it with out
having to have one custom made. The drawing in the manual would make a
custom one pretty easy to come by$$$ but I'm curious if theres a cheaper,
ready-made alternative. If not maybe I'll have a bunch made up. Anyone
interested?
Cheers, B.
Commander#215

Tony G
03-21-2003, 05:25 AM
Brendan
About a year ago a thread started here regarding who had a bearing under their cap and who didn't. I can't remember right now what the thread was called. Apparently somewhere along the line many owners decided to ditch their rudder bearing or just let the dang thing fall out or off or what ever. Ebb couldn't stand the thought of life without a rudder bearing. Somewhere out on that great western horizon he found a company that was happy to oblige him and manufactured him a shiney new set of bearings as per manual specs. He'd be the man for that route. However, if you are the adventurous, type not afraid to vary from the norn, Mr. Goodwin adapted a cutlass bearing and therefore adopted a new rudder bearing in the process. Ingeneous, frugal and operable to this day I believe. Thanks for bearing with me. Tony G

ebb
03-21-2003, 06:34 AM
top of page here - find 'search'

type in "rudder bearing"

look for "rudder bearing source":eek:

Sleeve bearing and O'rings available thru pearsonarielasociation website. This one.

Jim Wiles
03-21-2003, 07:04 PM
Brendan,
Edson (the wheel people) have a brand new rudder bearing catalog out. Online I think it's : Edson.com
Jim

Brendan Watson
03-25-2003, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the tip on Polymer Plastics .com. I faxed the drawing,
and I'll have it in a week. I hope mine comes back as nice as yours did.
Naturally the price went up, $75.00 +s&h. Still cheaper than a lathe.
Cheers, B.
Commander #215