PDA

View Full Version : interior-paint,laminate,veneer?

Bob G
11-21-2001, 01:46 PM
I plan to start re-doing the interior this winter. Probably going to paint over the lovely formica cabinetry. Is this a good idea--does it last? what kind of paint is best? any tips on proceeding would be appreciated if you have done this! Any thoughts on other ideas such as replacing with wood paneling or veneer?
By the way, Mr. Airing, your interior pictures on the yahoo site are inspirational. She is beautiful!

Al Lorman
11-21-2001, 02:01 PM
Last winter, I refinished the interior of #26. Since it's a Commander, there really wasn't that much to refinish. I painted the plastic laminate using white Brightside enamel and the fiberglass using marine oil-based paint. The laminate must be sanded first to give it some tooth for the paint to attach to. When properly applied, the Brightside looks really good. I removed the sink cabinet and and took it home to paint. At its best, it looks like it was sprayed, even though I used a brush. The bulkheads, which stayed in the boat, didn't come out quite as nicely, but were acceptable. The difference in light and airiness between a white interior (with real teak trim) and fake teak is considerable. I can't speak to the longevity of the paint, since it's less than a year old now.

Bill
11-21-2001, 04:43 PM
Yes, painting the "Mircata" is a good idea. And as Al noted, the results make for a much brighter interior. I used #80 sandpaper on the Micarta before applying a good marine primer. What you use after that is your preference. Some have even used Sears "Better Living" latex. :) I used a flat white from Interlux because it would be harder to see the flaws. :p The first chapter of the manual has a good run down on painting procedures. Bill

Theis
12-20-2001, 06:13 PM
I did it a little different using teak vaneer, but then my choices were limited. The Micarta was warping and falling off, so it had to come off. The only question regarded how much I took off.

As it turned out, it all came off except for the aft bulkhead, including above the sink. I then used 3M contact cement and put on 10 mil teak vaneer. If I were to do it again, I think I would use the self stick vaneer. The contact cement I used, which is industrial stuff, is too lethal if there is a mistake, and it is virtually impossible, in my opinion, to adequately smooth it out.

But outside of these small matters, the teak interior looks spectacular and warm. The fiberglass sides are painted white.

S.Airing
02-23-2002, 09:03 AM
Commanderpete we expect some interior shots of your boat when done.Heres old Sirocco

tcoolidge
02-24-2002, 10:03 PM
Hi
I agree with all previous input about painting, although I used, and would recommend a one part polyurethane (can't remember if it was Petit or Interlux). It's easy to apply and has stood up well- three years and still looks new. Good sanding is essential to get a surface the paint can bond to. I also found that painting highlights any imperfections so good prep and fairing will result in a nicer finish, but that's not a big surprise. If you're looking to retain some "wood" interior besides the trim, the formicas (and equivalents) now available are much nicer and more real looking than what was available in the sixties and require virtually no maintenance. You can find them at any Home Depot of such place. My interior trim is all mahogany, not teak, and matches almost perfectly the formica I used on the countertop.
And if you're looking to make the interior brighter, consider finding a small portlight that you can put in a companionway hatchboard. A little bit of light from another direction makes a huge difference. Plus it's nice to be able to peer up from the quarterberth and see if the weather is cooperating enough to make getting out of be worthwhile. Tom

tha3rdman
05-19-2006, 08:25 PM
I know this is an old thread, But FRP is a wonderful thing . . . well that maybe an over statment, I'll get some photos this weekend of the cusions and the frp, excellent durability and ease of maintanence (even from permant marker, just use a lil acetone and wala)