PDA

View Full Version : Dri-Z-Air

Dave
01-12-2003, 06:19 AM
A cautionary tale. I don't know if a product called Dri-Z-Air is available nationwide, but in case any of you are using it, let me offer a warning. This product consists of white granules that are placed in an enclosing basket that sits above a plastic pan. The granules absorb water from the air which then drips into the pan. It does a fine job of absorbing significant amounts of water from the air in enclosed spaces like a boat. However, if the water in the pan -- which contains the active chemical in solution -- spills, you may have a problem. Unknown to us, this solution spilled out of the container in the v-berth of our Ariel and soaked a section of the cabin sole. In warm or dry weather, the area that had gotten wet appears normal; in damp weather, the chemical absorbs water from the air and creates a wet spot. This action will continue for eternity, in fact the wet spot will spread. I called the folks at Dri-Z-Air asking if there was a chemical neutralizer. Nope. When the stuff soaks into wood the game's over. So I'm ripping up the teak and holly sole and replacing it. Don't let this happen to you. The product's good - but if you use it, don't you dare spill it.