PDA

View Full Version : lost accesshatch

ebb
01-08-2003, 09:13 AM
Please sir, can you tell me where the (thread) discussion on watertight cockpit hatches is?

I think Brent was about to put his batteries under the cockpit. (HOWZ IT GOING?) I'm seriously leaning that way myself but I wanted to research further those square, flush, powercoated alumi8num hatches that were mentioned by Tim, I believe, that were said to be waterproof. It was the thread that Tim gave us a list of Bomar hatch sizes, and discussed a plastic access hatch he got from W. Marine that leaked.

I'd really appreciate knowing which ravelly hole in the threads to look into, thanks!
ebb

Bill
01-08-2003, 10:00 AM
I remember the posts, but have not a clue as to the thread. Maybe Tim will repost the data here. Meanwhile, we will look around, but no promises. :confused:

Brent
01-08-2003, 10:57 AM
Ebb,

Here's the link:

http://65.108.50.4/discussion/showthread.php?threadid=285

I'm still a way off from mounting the batteries. I've gone as far as I can without needing a shelter, so I'm collecting wood (my father-in-law is a builder, so he has spare 2x4's lying around after he builds a house--they acutally throw these things away).

ebb
01-08-2003, 12:26 PM
Thanks, so much, Brent, for that rapid response and awesom memory. I've just chatted with Eric at Anchor Hatch, way over there in New Brunswick. Their hatches are relatively new (since '99) = they are distributed at private chandleries and commercial suppliers - sounds like the owner does the leg work as salesman. So in a way they are just being discovered. Does sound like they have found a niche in the market and are successful. Because there is no distributor close to the SF bay area, I'll be able to deal directly with the factory. Didn't dare to ask what the $$ are. Yet.

A hatch in the cockpit well is certainly asking for trouble as Tim found out with his installation of a plastic Temptress. So if anybody's interested I will post whatever else I get on this FLUSH mounted "water-tight" deck hatch.

By the way, when I put a straight edge on the cockpit deck it showed that the edges all sloped away from the flat where the antiskid pattern is. In other words, the smooth edges are slightly lower to help channel water to the drains. On 338.

ebb
01-08-2003, 01:09 PM
Have an email from Eric Murphy (Sales & Marketing Export Mgr) to set the record straight. There are two hatches (bigger and biggest) that might work in the cockpit. One 16 X 20, Tother 16 X 24. $300 and $316. That's without shipping and so forth. If UPS it wouldn't be too horrible.

Have also a couple of email photos (that I could forward to somebody if I knew how) as well showing a hatch installed. Very very neat. Very clean. One with the lid off. And an underside view showing the very tidy dog system that holds the plate in place. The top of the plate is a diamond pattern and the dogs are turned by a separate T-wrench. The bigger the hatch the more dogs. If you have ever seen a commercial aluminun Freeman hatch with gigantic medeival great danes (bigger than dogs) these Anchor hatches are on another planet entirely. FROM THE PICTURE, I think, even tho one Anchor Hatch would open up half an Ariel's cockpit deck, this still could be the ticket for an under the deck battery installation.

Right now I "see" the batteries (3 AGMs - hell let's go all out!) in a box under the deck just forward of the rudder tube, leaving some room under the cockpit from the cabin for other things like a self=contained slide in ice-chest.

The battery box would also support the cockpit deck. And the hatch would also provide access to the rudder tube area from the cockpit (by being able to reach in and under the remaining deck around the tube where it comes into the cockpit. Anything back on this, much appreciated!

ebb
01-08-2003, 05:29 PM
I have to assume that my focus on things raises a few eyebrows. Especially where access to all areas of the hull is concerned. And I'm also pretty sure no ghoster here is gonna ask why access to the rudder tube area under the cockpit is a good thing.

I'll tell you anyway: There is a not a tall story told around the yard here of a Triton that sunk because..

the rudder was forced up into the stern - thru the hull - when it ran aground. And sunk.;)