PDA

View Full Version : Whisker / Spinnaker Pole

commanderpete
12-07-2002, 09:12 AM
I'm thinking that a whisker pole would help to keep my genoa filled while sailing off the wind. Anybody use one?

Looks like the cost of a line control whisker pole might be $ 400+ Ouch. Any other options? Is a twist-lock pole robust enough? I have about a 130 genoa.

Also, I don't have a spinnaker track on the front of my mast. Just a ring pad eye only about 3 feet up from the base of the mast.

Mike Goodwin
12-07-2002, 11:07 AM
Pete,
I think West and Defender both sell a small spinaker pole kit for less than $100 , like a 1" or 1.5 diameter . That is all you need for most apps .

Mike

Theis
12-08-2002, 05:34 AM
I do use a whisker pole, and it does work very well, particularly when going wing on wing, and even more so when in a sloppy sea.

There are two groupings of whisker poles, the $100 approx variety, and the $300+ variety (and these both have to be differentiated from spinnaker poles - different breed). Both of the models I am talking about are Forespar. I had the 100 dollar version and it sort of worked (and I use a 170% genoa). The problem with the less expensive one is the latches at either end are simply are not secure enough, and I eventually lost mine overboard. It looks secure but isn't and that is why, after several close calls, mine went elsewhere. That one also has a tendency to slowly collapse under compression.

I now have the $300 version and do not have any problem other than it is bigger, and a bit more unwieldy. When I did my research, Forespar told me that the small pole will break/collapse sooner or later. With a smaller sail you might get by, but you might not and wind up buying both - the second after the first is lost.

When sailing/cruising, I keep the whisker pole on deck, each ends hooked to a stanchion base. When raised, I use the pad eye on the mast, and the clew of the sail. I also have a shock cord with a clip at one end attached to the end of the pole. When raising it, I first connect the shock cord to the mast pad eye so that, as I am setting it, if it falls, I do not lose it overboard. Likewise, when returning it to the deck, I snap the shock cord to the lifeline while I am securing the pole to the stanchion bases.

With a 130% genoa, my suggestion is to try the smaller pole (approx $100), and see if you like it and how much you use it. On one hand you may have saved $200, but on the other hand it might cost you an additional $100 (unless you can sell the smaller pole to someone else). Forespar recommends the larger of the two poles, and you will see that on their "warning" label.

Theis
12-23-2002, 08:19 PM
I found the attached picture and thought it might be of interest to show how the pole is stowed when cruising. To the left, behind the mast and ahead of the hatch cover, held on by the black straps is the life raft. The red strap is the pull cord.

Dan Maliszewski
01-28-2003, 08:08 AM
One of the original accessories that came with Adele M is the hollow wooden spinnaker pole, with lines and deck storage fittings. I do not fly a chute, but I am thinking of freshening it up and using it for a whisker pole when running. Anyone ever try this?

Bill
01-28-2003, 08:10 AM
The SF Bay racing fleet does.

Dan Maliszewski
01-28-2003, 10:33 AM
Theis,

What are those two blue straps running aft inboard of the port and starboard rails along the deck? (ps-nice boat!)

Theis
01-29-2003, 05:23 AM
Those are "jack lines". When I am cruising, I connect one on each side from a padeye near the bow to the base of the sternmost stanchion.

I connect the tether from my harness to a jackline rather than the lifeline when I go forward. That is more secure than a lifeline, and I can go all the way forward without coupling/uncoupling the tether snap as I go around the lifeline. By the way, the stretch tethers are worth their weight in gold, compared to the fixed length ones.

Jack lines are available from any marine supplier and run about $35.00 or so, each, as I recall. You could also make them, but do not use round line, as you can slide on the "roller". I would categorize them as being almost as mandatory as a tether if you are open water sailing. Clipping to the lifeline is not recommended, but, assuming the lifeline doesn't fail, it works if you flip over the side.

Brendan Watson
03-02-2003, 10:22 PM
I use a twist-lock pole, a Forespar adjustable 7'-17'.
It works as a whisker pole on the 110% in all conditions as it is not extended that much, and with the150% in lighter conditions, below 15 kts. I also use it as a spinnaker pole and while it is light for this purpose if you take care of it it will take care of you. I would'nt pay big money for a new pole. I found mine in a dumpster with a frozen lock, repaired it and have since found another one. These poles are easy to use, handy, relatively cheap, repairable and with the three tubes inside on another suprisingly strong untill you really extend them right out. At conservative lengths and wind strengths they rock. Mind you dont bang em' into the stays.
Cheers, B.
Commander#215

Bogle
06-24-2003, 01:44 PM
There is a wooden whisker pole on Ebay that I'm considering bidding on. Does someone know why the ends would different from each other? Mismatch or mast vs clew specific?

I have plans for a wooden spinnaker pole from my Owner's Manual and Maintenance Guide. Using those plans as a basis with some hardware that I hope to pick up very inexpensively, I'm thinking of making a wooden whisker - longer, but with a larger cross section. (The aluminum tubes are nice, but forespar's 7-17 model costs $335 new.)

Ebay item no. 2420168976 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2420168976&category=31281

Any input is appreciated. (I just like bronze and wood.)
Thanks in advance, David
Brooklyn, New York
Pearson Commander #92, La Saladita

mrgnstrn
06-25-2003, 06:01 AM
my guess is that the longer fitting is a replacement.
It looks to me like they had to shave down that end to get the smaller diameter/longer fitting on the pole. I can see myself doing something similar.
but the end with the shorter fitting looks like it wasn't hand-shaped and even all around.

the longer one looks like it might be better on the clew of the sail, since it looks like there are fewer sharp edges (unlike the shorter fitting).

just a guess.

commanderpete
07-30-2003, 05:55 AM
A whisker pole is looking better all the time.

cpast
09-12-2004, 09:47 AM
Quick one- whisker pole...anyone have an idea to the stock length? Bought #442(?) and it has no pole- must have one...if someone were to know the length- that would be sweet- and should i build? buy? buy used? what do you folks think?

Chris

John
09-12-2004, 04:19 PM
Chris,

What is your jenny 125, 135, 150? and do you use the working jib a lot?? This will determine how long the pole has to be. It will also determine whether you need a track on the mast or just a mat fitting.

The easy way is to take your boat pole and try to estimate how much more pole you need to hold it out and open...Then go to West Marine or your favorite emporium of goodies. They will tell you how hefty the pole must be based the sq ft of your jib. The pole will be adjustable so your estimate using your boat pole will get you in the ball park.....Unless you are in SF...then you just moor outside the park (grin)

In the mean time if you want to play....place a snatch block on the aft end of your boom and lead the sheet back to the block and then to your turning block on the rail. It works the nuts for really broad reaches.

Bill
09-12-2004, 06:22 PM
The wooden pole supplied by Pierson was 10 feet. There's a drawing in the manual. ;)

John
09-12-2004, 07:47 PM
Chris,

Try here:

http://www.forespar.com/catalog/whiskerpoles/sizerecomd.htm

commanderpete
03-02-2005, 02:43 PM
I still don't have a whisker pole, but I have a SCHEME

Picked up these two end fittings dirt cheap. Plan is to find a 12 foot length of anodized aluminum tubing 6061-T6 or 6063-T6 somewhere without getting killed on shipping charges.

I know the pole might be cumbersome and present storage problems, but the plan is already hatched.

Still debating the wall thickness for the tube, maybe .085 or less. Don't want to make it too heavy.

I have some closed cell pour foam. I'm wondering if I filled the tube whether the pole might float. Doubtful. Maybe it would be stiffer.

The foot of my Genoa is 12 1/2 feet. Forespar says I should buy a 8-14' line control pole for $550. A HD twistlock 6-12' is $269 at Sailnet. 7-17' twistlock is $352.

Never did find one in a dumpster

commanderpete
03-03-2005, 10:40 AM
Somebody else has the same crazy idea.

http://www.sailboatowners.com/forums/pviewall.tpl?fno=441&uid=F&SKU=2005061101357.42

And some general info from Forespar

http://www.forespar.com/resources/tips/WhiskerPoleSeminar.htm

The end fittings fit a 2" aluminum tube with .065 wall thickness. The tube is available locally in 6061-T6 aluminum for about $5 to $6 a foot. Tube weighs .47 lbs. per foot.

Anodized tube is harder to find, especially in longer lengths. Anodizing helps with corrosion, but not a great deal.

You may continue scratching your heads.

willie
03-03-2005, 12:55 PM
Peter,
Where DO you find these great sailing pictures? lol
I need a pole too. No dumpsters here either. :rolleyes:

Ed Ekers
03-05-2005, 09:12 AM
Hey Pete, There is a guy on my dock with an Ariel that has a fiberglass pole. He has the standard fittings like you show attached to each end. I will see him Sunday and ask him where he found the pole. I think it was a handle from a swimming pool brush. Very light weight and holds up to the abuse. …..ed

epiphany
03-06-2005, 04:41 AM
Cīpete -

Iīve read that pole material could be had from farm irrigation supply houses.

Care to share some info on where you got those end fittings? They look nice. Thanks!

commanderpete
03-08-2005, 06:19 AM
West has a clearance outlet near me. A few times a year they sell everything at 70% off the already discounted price. Works out to about 90% off list price.

A guy could get into a feeding frenzy.

Already ordered the aluminum. Took a few phone calls to find a supplier who would deal with me. They probably thought I was going to enrich uranium in their military spec. aluminum tube.

eric (deceased)
03-11-2005, 01:14 AM
one of the things I wrote about while sailing to hawaii is the fact that I had only one wisker pole,and while running downwind under twin headsails the opposing jib kept collapsing due to no pole.I bastardized a pole by combining the fishing gaff and a boat hook pole,using hose clamps to secure them together.it worked great. :D

Robin
03-14-2005, 06:17 PM
A friend of mine had end fittings like you showed and used 2 pieces of pvc pipe attached in the middle with a threaded piece so it could be broken down for stowing. It did eventually break but he had it for a while, certainly got his money's worth.

drm901
03-15-2005, 03:52 PM
I've purchased 6061 from a scrap metal shop here locally (in Dallas, TX). Might want to check phone books. Variety varied over time, so if you aren't in a hurry they might keep an eye out for some for you.

commanderpete
08-11-2005, 01:39 PM
Anybody know what kind of pole ring will fit the mast?

I'm looking at the Ronstan RF41. Says the radius is 3 1/8" Not sure what that means. High School is a blur

The mast is 6" X 3 1/2"

Some other pole rings are listed here

http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d3000/e588.asp

For some reason I don't want to put a track on the front of the mast

I don't think I could bend this ring too well

commanderpete
08-12-2005, 01:01 PM
Nevermind there, geometry mavens. Just picked one up on ebay cheap.

Everything can fit if you have a big enough hammer

Small boat good

ebb
08-13-2005, 07:40 AM
Diameter of the curve of the front of the mast is 3 3/8.

I know that because the mast is laying by the side of the house here and by using geometric progressions (walking back and forth from the kitchen with different size glasses) found a plastic tumbler that exactly matched the curve.

Therefor finding R is one half of 3 = 1 1/2 plus
1/2 of 3/8 = 3/16. Therefor R equals 1 11/16 or
1 3/4 is a good bet. :D

[Looks like the RF41 Diameter is 7 1/4". Too bad because the reinforced design is real nice. One that would fit our mast, the plate the ring is welded to would be a tight curve, therefor even less welding bead holding the ring, therefor the extra braces would almost be mandatory. Could make a curved pad out of some hard plastic that would fit the mast and the RF41. But you probably need a bandsaw and some patience. If you have access to an oscillating spindle sander it would take less than 15 minutes to make the pad with a piece of starboard or polypropylene.]

Bill
08-13-2005, 09:24 AM
For some reason I don't want to put a track on the front of the mast

IMHO, you might want to reconsider adding the track. It allows the pole to be raised or lowered to better match the location of the clew on each headsail. Also eliminates the hardware fitting problem :)

commanderpete
08-22-2005, 09:13 AM
How 'bout that. Fits just about perfect.

Thing is massive, but Forespar says the interior diameter of the ring should be at least 1 1/2" to avoid breaking the pole end fittings.

commanderpete
08-22-2005, 09:20 AM
I have thought about using a track, although I'm only flying one furling headsail. Maybe an Asym Spinnaker someday.

I've got an old Harken single line reefing system that came with two short sections of track, molded on the bottom. I'm only using one of the track sections.

I could use the other track with a pole ring car. But the track is only about 18" or so.

It takes me a awhile before I drill holes

SkipperJer
05-21-2007, 05:58 AM
My Commander (#270) was built as the economy model with no doo-dads and extras. I'm sailing on the Chesapeake where winds tend to be light. Going downwind without a whisker pole can be a struggle. While simplicity was one of the boat's virtues a few years ago when I was a total greenhorn, now I want to add a whisker pole and found only one thing missing from related threads here.

Without track, how far up the mast should one locate a single ring for the inboard end of the pole? If track is used, how long should it be and where should it be located? Any other thoughts and ideas are welcome.

ebb
05-21-2007, 06:14 AM
Commander Pete,
Couple more of those rings on the mast and your foredeck crew will have a place to park their Buds while they adjust your spinaker.

commanderpete
05-22-2007, 10:32 AM
I've got fancy varnished teak cupholders. Haven't installed them yet either :o Tragic beer spillage continues

Like Bill said, you want the pole straight, so the inboard fitting is even with the clew of the sail. The height will vary, depending on whether your headsails are high or low cut.

I changed my mind and decided to go with a track on the mast. Gives me some fudge factor.

Those spinnaker pole slide cars are expensive. Ronstan seems to make the cheapest ones.

I'm going to make the track long enough so that I can slide the car up high, out of the way of the sailcover, so the sailcover wont be too tight

commanderpete
07-03-2008, 09:39 AM
I ended up installing a 4' Schaefer track and car on the mast since Ronstan parts didn't seem to be readily available

Ariel 109
09-22-2010, 06:30 PM
My low brow approach to the whisker pole is to use an extended telescoping boat hook. Pointy end into the jib's clew grommet and the other end (with rubber cap) propped against the main hatch slides. Works great on my Ariel, Noesis with it's 150 jib. Good for single-handing, you never leave the cockpit.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u72/Parlordoor/31cwusY8qwL.jpg