PDA

View Full Version : Another question about a word - Block

Theis
12-03-2002, 06:42 AM
I did so well getting the answer to spelling the word "lazarette" that I'll try another.

A "block", as I understand it, is an assembly that contains a pulley.

A pulley, again as I understand it, is synonomous with sheave. (Is this correct?)

What is the assembly that holds the pulley/sheave called. These form the sides that extend from the shackle and hold the pulley axle. For lack of a better expression, I have called the two sides a "casing" - but that can't be the proper expression - and I am too lazy to call Harken, and know that the people that visit this website will be better informed anyway.

Mike Goodwin
12-03-2002, 09:49 AM
They are 'cheeks ' & a pulley is not a 'shiv' , but has a shiv , a pulley is the landlubber's term for a block .

Mike Goodwin
12-03-2002, 09:55 AM
Some folks ,in the UK , refer to the casing as the 'shell' , the hole the line runs through (and over the shiv ) is the 'swallow' and the shiv is the 'sheave' . The metal or rope that binds it is the 'strop' , that is what the 'eye' is attached to.

Theis
12-04-2002, 04:49 AM
Thanks Mike. I can't believe how far off I was. So a shiv is the part that turns, as I understand your answer. I always thought a shiv was a knive. Thanks for the info.

Mike Goodwin
12-04-2002, 07:13 AM
A shiv is still a knife at certain exits of the Jersey Turnpike .
I grew up on the water from N.Y. to Charleston on/around tugs ,steamers, workboats and yachts and always heard it as a 'shiv' in a 'block & taycall' . It wasn't until I was 20ish that I had a UK shipmate that called it a 'sheave' . I also heard a knife refered to as a 'shiv', but you always knew by the context in which it was used .

Outside the Cat's Eye Pub in Fell's Point after midnight , when Nick Benton shouted "he's got a shiv" , you could bet your life it wasn't part of a block and tackle ( Nick was a master rigger ).

You know what they say ,"People in the US & UK , separated by a common language ."

Theis
12-04-2002, 08:14 PM
Mike:

Could it be that you have a southern drawl? Do you say ya'll or do you say You? I am trying to explain to myself the different spellings between "shiv" which I have many spent hours trying to remember while asleep, and what these dudes in Watsonville, CA call "sheaves". Am I correct that these are the same things as shivs, just with a different regional dialect? I want to be on the leading edge as I roam the seven corners and therein lies my concern.

Now, I always thought a "cheek block" was something a large man put on his desk chair when new to make the chair more comfortable during the period when the chair is being broken in. But now I see them in the aforesaid publication, such as on page 987. It could be that these terms are Australian, since Ronstan is an Australian company, and they get everything wrong. I wonder where that name cheek block came from. Perhaps the root of the expression "lift the left cheek ....." shares a common root in old English.

Curious

Mike Goodwin
12-04-2002, 08:29 PM
Drawl?
That's why I'm turning my Ariel into a yawl , to make it a southern boat . Ya'll unnerstan ?

Well , fur shur those dudes in Ca are calling it a sheave man , like you know .

The pronunciation is 'Shiv' regardless how it's spelt .

If you want to appear salty , call it a shiv .If you want to appear edjumacated , call it a sheave , and everyone will know you ain't no real sailor .

Now who was the better Long John Silver; Wallace Berry or Robert Newton ?

Theis
12-05-2002, 05:05 AM
I don't want to hassle this thing, and you know I have to deal with all sorts of folk, wives, perhaps a friend or two, the afficiandi, the lawn mower set, the TV crowd, and so forth. So how about just calling it "that whachamacallit up there/over there that the rope goes through " (assuming a line still goes through it)?

Mike Goodwin
12-05-2002, 05:47 AM
"Yeah , the clothes line pulley built into the top of the mast , pull on the green rope that goes through it Aunt Minnie "

Theis , this is a good excuse to replace all the running rigging with color coded lines . Main is green , jib is blue ,spinaker is red , something I learned while training scouts to sail . Just holler " pull on the green rope " and give them the theory and nomenclature at the dock or anchor . Now this doesn't work if the green line is green from mildew .

Mike

Theis
12-05-2002, 06:45 AM
That is good to know. I was debating the color coding I should use. My thoughts had been towards using pink for the forward area, chartreuse for the bow quarters, periwinkle for the stern quarters, and mauve for everything else.

commanderpete
12-06-2002, 09:39 AM
Y'all bring a boat dressed up like that down South and y'all might get more than a shiv.

Mike Goodwin
12-06-2002, 12:15 PM
Pete,
Where did you find a picture of Bubba ,Cooder , Erns't T and Junior all together , I thought the courts said they couldn't get within 400 yds of each other unless they were handcuffed , shackled and in the sheriff's lockup.

Tony G
12-06-2002, 06:36 PM
C-Pete, it scares me that you have photos like this.

Theis
12-07-2002, 05:26 AM
Vice Commander: I really appreciate your concern about my well being. That is very thoughtful of you.

Mike: I can understand why the Sea Scouts would be be best served with primary colors. It does make training much easier.

I fear that the two of you misunderstood me. This story may bore you but, after reflecting on the issue all night, it seemed appropriate to briefly describe the situation.

The selection of those colors is not my choice. Every summer I sail with Pamela Anderson. With the neutral colors of the sails, the deck and the white hull, she selected those colors as accent colors for the photographs I take of her on the foredeck.

She really likes the Ariel because, not having a VCR as the larger boats do, it gets her away from work.

commanderpete
12-07-2002, 06:13 AM
Blue is a good color for the forward areas and stern quarters.

Pink would be nice too.

Theis
12-07-2002, 08:51 AM
Nice, but it doesn't do much to accent the neutral colors of the sail, deck and hull, does it? And that is what is important I would think?