PDA

View Full Version : How do you spell lassarette?

Theis
12-01-2002, 06:03 AM
I have tried to find the correct spelling, and see is spelled many ways.

Is it:

lazarette

lassarette

lasarette

lasaret

other

Are there any synonoms?

Tony G
12-01-2002, 06:31 AM
Theis
Concerning your concern...please refer to the manual as per Bill or, like many of us, use the avoidance method :D I'm going with single z double t. Tony G

ebb
12-01-2002, 08:25 AM
my Websters says it began word life in 15th cen.Italy as a pest house to keep lepers (nazaretto - after a church.) Viz: quarantine.

Lazaretto becomes a space 'between decks' used on merchant ships for storage.

lazarette is a modern term for a lidded box to keep coffin nails in.:D

Mike Goodwin
12-01-2002, 05:32 PM
Z & 2 T's

Theis
12-01-2002, 07:10 PM
I don't have a Websters, but looked in the Random House and the American Heritage dictionaries.

A "lazaretto" is a hospital treating contagious diseases, or a building or ship used as a quarantine station. But, the third definition is "A storage space betwseen the decks of a ship". It is from the Italian lazaretto, from lazzaro, leper, beggar, from Medieval Latin Lazarus. A lazar is a beggar afflicted with some loathsome disease, especially leprosy.

So we have solved the spelling problem - Thank you - although the word is peculiarly unattractive. Is there a synonim that might be less loathsome or are we stuck with an inadequate word that really is not appropriate?

Mike Goodwin
12-02-2002, 06:33 AM
I personaly like the old time definition and use of the word , linking me with many generations of my family who went to sea and had to deal with disease without proper treatment .
I find it much more acceptable than 'seat lockers', 'cockpit lockers', ( you wanna really get grossed out , look up cockpit in it's sea going usage . You may not want to sit there anymore . )
Quarantine has been with us for centuries and is still with us . It is harder to bring your dog into this country than it is a sick person with the latest version of the flu , that could kill thousands .
No , I will continue to quarantine my outboard, gas tanks , lengths of line , fenders ,boarding ladder and other odd gear in the lazarette , and will warn all crew 'aye , mind yarself of the lepers when poking about in the lazarette !'