PDA

View Full Version : outboard motor remote controls

mrgnstrn
10-01-2002, 04:48 PM
so i have searched this whole board, and have concluded that my motor is different from everyone else's. mine does not have a tiller handle. not just missing, but not built for one.

my motor (9.9hp 2cycle mercury) fits just perfect in the o/b well, but is supposed to be controlled with a steering wheel of some sort and a throttle/clutch, just like on a motorboat, because that is what it was designed to be installed in.

the motor conveyed when i bought it a few days ago, and have since unraveled the whole story. the PO bought this motor, test fit it in the well, bought the control unit (throttle/clutch) and never went through with final install. then lost the control unit.

my two tripping points are:

1. where to mount this throttle/clutch control. it is a sailboat after all, and i would feel pretty sold out if i had to mount this control unit front and center, or in the way of the sailing operations.

2. [how to] or [should I] lock the o/b down so it doesn't swivel. and if it is really really helpful to use the ability to swivel to get in and out of port, how to control it. i don't want to mount a steering wheel, again, in the way of the real purpose, sailing operations.

anyone with experience??
thanks,
km#3

Bob G
10-01-2002, 11:04 PM
On 101 I have a remote throttle/clutch mounted on the right side of the cockpit well, about a foot to a foot and a half forward of the forward lazerette bulkhead. It is pretty much out of the way, is easy to use while standing at the helm. Works great!

commanderpete
10-02-2002, 03:57 AM
Mount the control box where Bob suggests. You need to drill a hole into the lazarette for the cables to run from the box to the engine. The cables have to be long enough so that you can make a loop in the cables before they reach the engine. The loop allows the engine to swivel with the cables attached.

You need:

a) the remote control box

b) the cables

c) connection hardware to attach the cables to the engine

All of these parts must be compatible with eachother/the engine.

You can sometimes find these side mount remote control boxes on e-bay. This is where your previous owner probably "lost" his box.

Forget about a steering wheel, you can swivel the engine by hand. Being able to swivel the engine usually takes the adventure out of docking.

Having a remote throttle/shift control is pretty nice. You also get to tool around the dock with the lazarette hatch down and pretend you have a diesel.

mrgnstrn
10-02-2002, 07:35 AM
i see how swiveling the motor would help with control, but when you are just motoring out, does the motor tend to swivel on it's own, or does it normally center itself (like a car's steering wheel)?
if it doesn't, i think i will have a hard time holding the engine centered, playing with the throttle, and seeing over the cabin all at the same time.
bob, how did you address this?
thanks to all
-km#3

Mike Goodwin
10-02-2002, 12:23 PM
The engine has a set screw on the back that you tighten just enough to may it stay straight .It will not pivot all over the place even when loose. Once you set the throttle , you can almost leave it alone until you are ready to sail , it does not or should not require constant attention .