PDA

View Full Version : food grade polyethylene?

ebb
09-30-2002, 10:21 PM
Anybody care to comment on

Xenoestrogens and food grade polypropylene and polyethylene?

Tony G
10-01-2002, 05:44 AM
Yes, they all contain numerous letters and some of them are from the far end of the alphabet. Good Night! What do you have up your sleeve now Ebb?

commanderpete
10-01-2002, 06:02 AM
I prefer a nice glass of Pinot Noir with my polyethylene.

Al Lorman
10-01-2002, 06:22 AM
The actual explannation is not nearly as funny as Commander Pete's explanantion, but here it is: "food grade" means the product meets the requirements of the Food and Drug Administration for food contact use, such as in food packaging or food preparation surfaces.

commanderpete
10-01-2002, 08:33 AM
Thanks Al.

Care to explain Xenoestrogens?

I've watched that show, "Xena The Warrior Princess"

That chick has got plenty of estrogen. Hubba Hubba

Al Lorman
10-01-2002, 08:38 AM
Sure:

"Environmental estrogens (also called ecoestrogens and xenoestrogens) are a wide variety of both natural and synthetic organic compounds that mimic natural estrogen hormones."

A glass of Pinot Noir is clearly perferable.

ebb
10-01-2002, 09:19 AM
Eggzackly.
338s two new 20gal under V-berth FDA approved "food grade" polyethylene tanks (not yet ordered) - are up my sleeve.

This is it. One time only on this subject from me. I know next to nothing but I'm completely paranoid about what is covered up, hushed up, by the FDA and the Corporate Plastics community.

Plasticizers and stableizers in plastic wrap, plastic containers, toys, sunscreen (to name a few) have been implicated in many abnormalities in all living things. Xenoestrogens are contaminates that mimic natural estrogen in female and male animals, fish, birds. Believed to be responsible for precocious puberty, breast cancer, testicular cancer, decreasing sperm counts and so forth. Anybody with a prostate should IMCO be concerned.

Baby bottles of lexan were shown to leech out synthetic estrogen leading years later to breast cancer. Nearly everything we put in our mouth is or comes in soft plastic yeilding xenoestrogens: soda bottles, styrofoam, cosmetics (parabens) spermicides. PVC is implicated heavily. The plasticizer is in your cheese and deli meats. EPA has published what the safe limits are for food wrapped in plastic eaten by kids.

Nonyphenol, an xenoestrogen is found in amine blush epoxies. It's used as a cheap extender or thinner by the manufacturer. So use it for your built in epoxy water tanks.

Rising PSA in older guys like me is IMCO due to hormonal imbalances brought on by exposure to environmental pollutants such as the ubiquitous mimic estrogens linked with our food. It's a battle I've decided to fight outside the AMA and the FDA.

So, So far as I can find out there are no loose estrogens in polypropylene/ethylene. But I wouldn't trust the FDA or the plastics industry to tell us. Now, would you?

The choice in tank material is at issue here. I mean nobody but Bill can afford monel. That leaves s.s. which will corrode and the oxides make the water taste funny. Bernard Moitessier probably used concrete washed iron. Aluminum tastes bad and gives you Alsheimers.

SO. OK, what's the scuttlebut on the polys????????

Janice Collins
10-01-2002, 02:25 PM
Ebb, Relax, Relax...All your "poly" needs can be met at Polyworld. You need to check out this address:http://polyworld.com.au/

Just like DollyWorld. Certainly she can be the poster child for what happens when you ingest too many xenoestrogens!

Face the facts, one cannot escape our "poly" world. Plastics here, plastics there, plastics EVERYWHERE!

I don't trust the water from ANY source anymore.
And I don't trust most of the safety standards either.
Honest, I had a man from the EPA try to tell me that dioxins aren't harmful to humans.

ebb
10-01-2002, 04:57 PM
"...dioxin mercury pcps
in yer fish in yer pees..."

one ale relaxed

That's right you got to filter the water BEFOR you put it in the whatever tank, even the rain water. Then you got to filter it out again befor you boil it. When will it end?

There is no answer except to open another ale. Or pour another mug of merlot. But a cool clear glass of pure water, THAT is a true symbol of freedom.

Early Barbies made of PVC got all sticky from the stabilizer escaping little Barbie and Ken bodies. How about that: mimic estrogen in a plastic doll, how sick can you get? Think anybody at Mattel went to jail?

yah sure by golly!