PDA

View Full Version : Which hull numbers were produced in 1961 ?

Poodle Head Mikey
04-30-2014, 03:05 PM
Is there a list of years and hull numbers and so forth? I ask because I recently found an Ariel on the Sassafras River in Maryland - no plate in the cockpit. But later I saw the owner and asked him. He didn't know the hull number but said the boat was built in 1961.

Where else might he be able to find the hull number - without having the little oval porcelain cockpit plate?

PHM
------

Bill
04-30-2014, 03:30 PM
Number 76 is a 1962 boat. You might want to search on that question (see search guidance in the Off Topic forum). As I recall, one skipper found what he believed to be the hull number marked under the mast step! May be a clue that the Pearson marked the hull numbers somewhere on the boat as it was being built. One occurrence, however, is not necessarily an indication of a company policy.

Poodle Head Mikey
04-30-2014, 06:06 PM
Columbia apparently built a boat to order - but in separate shop areas - and then piled the completed bits at the assembly site for that crew to assemble. So often drawers and the inside of various panels and so forth would have the hull number scribbled on them.

I was just wondering if anyone had noticed that as something Pearson would have done.

PHM
---------

Number 76 is a 1962 boat. You might want to search on that question (see search guidance in the Off Topic forum). As I recall, one skipper found what he believed to be the hull number marked under the mast step! May be a clue that the Pearson marked the hull numbers somewhere on the boat as it was being built. One occurrence, however, is not necessarily an indication of a company policy.