PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Main Hatch?

chip
02-12-2014, 10:40 AM
The yard where Im doing a major refit has admitted that they lost the sliding main hatch while the boat was in the paint shop. Does anyone have an idea for building a new hatch possibly teak or mahogany.
Chip, C-124 JOY

Ariel 109
02-13-2014, 05:27 PM
Hi Chip, Sorry to hear about losing your sliding hatch. You might try appealing for a used one. Someone here might have an extra, maybe Carl?

Making a hatch shouldn't be to hard. The Ariel's hatch is pretty simple and could be made out of wood, solid or plywood. "How To Build A Wooden Boat" by Bud McIntosh has some wonderful general illustrations of different types of wood hatches. Try your library.

Ben

Chris W
02-13-2014, 06:30 PM
Chip, I have a extra main hatch looking for a new home. I sent you a PM.

-Chris

chip
02-14-2014, 11:05 AM
Chris,
I cant find your PM to me.

Chip

chip
02-14-2014, 11:07 AM
Thanks Ben,
I think I will go with solid mahogany. I just finished new cockpit coamings and the wood hatch will be a great compliment to the new hull and deck.

Chip

Chris W
02-14-2014, 07:50 PM
Chip, You have a PM waiting for you.

-Chris

mbd
02-15-2014, 01:48 PM
Maybe consider a stock hatch from Chris and add a wood veneer?

chip
02-16-2014, 07:28 AM
Mike,
Exactly what I was hoping to do. Nice non-skid. I used Awlgrip, Grand Banks Beige, with their additive texture and it looks like your same color.
Chip, C-124

Lucky Dawg
02-17-2014, 07:13 AM
Hey Mike,
Are those slats just attached with epoxy or is there mechanical attachment? I am wondering about children walking on them and if they might be prone to cracking the epoxy if that happened. (insert "Not A Step" plate atop!) Looks very nautical. Did you bow the transverse pieces before attaching?
KW

mbd
02-17-2014, 07:40 AM
Mike,
Nice non-skid. I used Awlgrip, Grand Banks Beige, with their additive texture and it looks like your same color.
Chip, C-124
Thanks Chip. We used a mix of Interlux Interdeck white and beige for the non-skid. I was really pleased with how it came out, although I do find it a bit difficult to clean. Next time I will use the KiwiGrip nonskid. The boat I sailed last summer was done with this and I loved it. Here's the non-skid piece of my project on Tim Lackey's website: http://www.lackeysailing.com/seaglass/51707.htm

Hey Kyle, we've gone over this before somewhere here, and I'd love to take credit for the hatches as with some other details on my boat, but most of the neat details and woodwork was done a couple of POs ago. There are no mechanical fasteners on the hatches, they are glued on - I would guess epoxy. The patterns were done with individual strips, then the gaps filled. I'd think that makes bending them easier. My hatches have the rubber caulking between the strips which doesn't take varnish very well. I've read other applications that fill the gaps with epoxy colored with graphite.