PDA

View Full Version : Question about sails

Commander 147
06-09-2013, 10:42 AM
I am putting together the specs for Destiny's new set of sails. In addition to the main I am considering a 135 genoa and a 110 working jib. I am also interested in a light air sail that will still alllow me to reach with it like a drifter.

I am most curious what those of you who sail commanders and ariels regularily find as your most usefull sails and if you were buying a new set of sails what your choices would be. And it would be helpful to know what kind of prevailing winds you sail in.

SkipperJer
06-12-2013, 07:02 AM
I sail a commander on the Chesapeake. I have a 125 genoa that I use most of the time that provides great balance.

When I bought the boat it came with a 110 working jib that was sheeted to blocks on short tracks on the cabin top. To avoid weird unwrapping on the winches the sheets run from the cabin-top aft to the toe-rail blocks on the track opposite the cockpit then forward to the winch stands. Seemed odd at first but it works very well.

The boat also had a 170 genoa that was sheeted directly to the blocks on the toe-rail. The 170 was too heavy and hard to manage in typical Chesapeake light winds during the summer. In very light breezes it did a lot of flapping and collapsing. It was good for a while as the wind picked up and then got to be a handful or worse above 12-15. The 110 was good in heavy winds 15+ . There was a middle ground where nothing was right.

Side note: I advise reefing early if you haven't already learned that. These hulls like to be sailed about 15 degrees over. They feel very stable over further and deliver a good fun factor but they aren't going much faster toward the target if at all. Taking some pressure off the main sooner than I think has been helpful.

My first sail purchase was a used 150 from an Ariel owner. Moving the blocks on the toe-rail all the way forward worked well for it. I never used the 170 again. Even when the wind picked up on me with the 150 up I didn't feel I was getting beat up like I was with the 170. I had more control and plenty of speed. There was still a middle-ground where neither sail was right but the gap wasn't so big and I could adjust more easily. Had the 170 been made from lighter cloth it might have been more useful in light to medium winds. I eventually had it cut down to 150 and use it as a second headsail that I fly un-stayed dead downwind with a whisker pole. Great rig under the right conditions and with crew.

I had the 125 made new by a local sail maker. I bought it because I noticed that the Ariels that were winning local races or placing well flew 125s or 135s all the time. Smaller sails didn't provide the speed. Bigger sails led to greater leeway despite the drama of the rail in the water. Looked fast but wasn't. I had to add blocks forward of the winch stands for the 125. I located them according to the sailmaker's instructions. The sheets go through the new blocks then back to the blocks on the toe-rail then forward to the winches just as with the jib sheets. Works well. The 125 is a dream. It handles most wind conditions I encounter and is easy to manage.

If I were to get one more sail I'd go for a genaker. I single-hand a lot making a spinnaker out of the question. A big, light, easily rigged sail would help a lot in very light winds which is what we get on the Chesapeake during the summer.

Commander 147
06-12-2013, 08:41 AM
SkipperJer

Thank you for your very helpful response. It sounds like I might be at least in the ballpark for the right sails to order. I was contemplating a 155 genoa also but decided to eliminate that and go with the 135. I believe I will be able to use the 135 most of the time and change over to the 110 jib when winds are strong. And from reading your reply it sounds like this combo should do well for me. The 135 I am ordering with a foam luff so it will reef a little better and rolling it up to a 125 should work OK.

I do not race in organized races and just love getting out and crusing. Of course if I get near another sailboat that is automatically a race :-).

I do know these boats like to reef early. And your comments are well taken.

Thanks again

Ariel242
06-24-2013, 06:02 AM
Hey Skipper Jer

Do you have your 125 sail measurements? I recently purchased Ariel #242, and the headsail I have for it came off another boat; the leech looks awful short. To save some cash I'm looking around the used sail websites to find a suitable replacement. I generally deal with winds in the 8-15 kt range.