PDA

View Full Version : Illusion of space

carbonsoup
09-19-2012, 09:20 PM
I saw this on an Alberg 30 and I wanted to know if anyone knows what material it is... it looks like SS bead board or SS strips... I like the look and feel, it may perhaps give the illusion of a bit more space in the cabin.

kendall
09-28-2012, 10:43 AM
Most are acrylic, they're available with plain square edges, bevels, and some with fancier edges. Most are self stick with the adhesive applied directly to the mirror backs, other types have a thin foam pad to cover minor irregularities. http://www.homedepot.com/buy/decor/bath-mirrors/mirredge-48-in-beveled-acrylic-mirror-strips-2-pack-15248.html Not recommending Home Depot for them, (I take all steps possible to void shopping there) just the first link I found.

carbonsoup
10-24-2012, 07:41 PM
ah, that would be easy enough... however, with an illusion of more space I decided to actually give the cabin a bit more space by moving the coat locker and drawers to the other side of the bulkhead. also, another idea that I had was to use a some sheet stainless steel so could mount a little heater at some point. we will see once i get started this winter.

ebb
10-25-2012, 08:33 AM
1/8"-1/4" acrylic mirror sheet can be cut with yor jig saw.
(Bosch T101A 14tpi HSS. Printed on blade: 'special for plexiglass')
Can see it pasted (or customed into a frame) on either side of the main bulkhead.
Covering the whole area from doorway, to liner, to hull.
Pasting is easier but harder to remove if you don't want the illusion effect later.
Mounting the plastic in a mahogany frame that looks like regular cabin trim
will keep it from bending distortion, which could be annoying.

Clear plastic mirror looks just like glass - half the weight, won't crack or break like glass,
and can easily be cut into any shape desired. $12-$15 sqft.

Wouldn't put it behind the stove!;)

Ariel 109
10-26-2012, 03:29 AM
You should look at the products from Chemetal.

http://www.chemetal.com/

I don't believe that striped metal paneling on the Vanguard is available any longer. It's all for the best!