PDA

View Full Version : Steering "lock" for the Tohatsu 6hp outboards?

Hull_295
05-17-2010, 10:48 AM
We've got a 2008 Tohatsu 6hp (the 25" extra-long shaft version). It's a great engine so far, except for the lack of a steering lock. There's a steering friction adjustment bolt, but it doesn't actually lock the steering. When the engine is on it tends to wobble over to one side even when the adjustment bolt is tightened all the way down. Short of some sort of bracing attached to the well or transom any ideas? Anyone else encountered this problem?

We prefer to back the boat out of the slip by hand and then motor forwards out of the marina, so the ability to lock the steering is pretty important to us. Also having the motor to stay put while we're motoring long distances so we can steer via the boat's tiller a little easier.

c_amos
05-17-2010, 10:52 AM
I have the same problem with mine.

THat friction screw is tightening the shaft against a nylon sleeve. To make matters worse, it is nylon pressing against a greased shaft... so slowing the rate it turns is about all it is going to do unless you were to VERY carefully drill a slight depression (detent) where you wanted it to stop... risky.

Hull_295
05-17-2010, 11:44 AM
How do you deal with the issue on yours?

I thought about physically stopping the rotation, but I haven't been able to take it apart to see how the mechanism works. I'd like for whatever we do to lock the steering to be able to be undone later if we need to sell the engine.

-L

I have the same problem with mine.

THat friction screw is tightening the shaft against a nylon sleeve. To make matters worse, it is nylon pressing against a greased shaft... so slowing the rate it turns is about all it is going to do unless you were to VERY carefully drill a slight depression (detent) where you wanted it to stop... risky.

Rico
05-17-2010, 02:11 PM
I have the same motor (nissan @ 20"), and you are right - the friction is next to useless. My motor only dances when at low RPM and only now & then when sailing... (but it is annoying!)
It is stable when running at 1/2 throttle & above. I've been thinking about a way to lock it in place... perhaps using a small line and a cam cleat, or two.
I use the motor to swing in / out of tight places and it is important that this mechanism is a quick release...
I do not have a solution yet... but maybe soon?

CapnK
05-24-2010, 04:00 AM
Rico et al -

The friction lock on my 6hp Merc (Nishatsurcery ;) ) is completely shot, and while it is handy to be able to turn the engine for maneuvering in tight quarters, it does suck to be motoring and notice the boat has 'weather helm' of a sort... :p

As far as a pre-manufactured solution for locking down the motor position, I've been thinking that this canSail Tillerlock (http://www.cansail.com/) (approx US$50 w/shipping, dunno if they are still in production or not) might work, mounted on top of the motor shroud, connected to a line that spans the lazarette.

Cheaper, simpler, and perhaps just as effective would be to tie a loop in the very middle of the laz-spanning line, a loop that one could drop over a small cleat (or drawer knob) top-mounted on the motor shroud. Tying the line abaft the cleat a few inches so that it is a bit of a stretch to make it fit over the cleat would solve the 2 possible problems I can imagine with this setup; it would make for less play due to the line stretch and shallow V shape, and help prevent 'accidental hook-up' when pivoting the motor (which would be just when you DIDN'T need a hookup... :) ). I'll be implementing and testing this sometime in the next month when I take Katie around to the yard for a bottom job, and will report then with pics...