PDA

View Full Version : Delta Fast-Set Anchor recommendations

Chance
03-16-2009, 04:03 PM
Hello,
Okay, I conducted a search and came up with nothing in regards to what I'm asking:

I am working on the ground tackle details for my Commander and as of now , for an anchor, I am leaning towards (well actually made up my mind, unless persuaded otherwise) the Lewmar / Simpson Lawrence DELTA Fast-Set anchor.

Question #1) What size (weight) of anchor?

Question #2) For those who aready have ready to deploy ground tackle, what are you using? (Anchor, chain, and nylon rode specifics)

Question #3) For those who anchor, what are you using to tie off the ground tackle? The standard 8" foredeck cleat? Samson post? I thought of replacing the single standard 8" foredeck cleat with a Schaefer 10" aluminum cleat (model # 60-10), with the reasoning that a little bit bigger would be better. Is this too big?

Thank you for your insight.

Bill
03-16-2009, 07:34 PM
Has this been covered in the "New Generation Anchor" thread?

http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussion/showthread.php?t=1295

Chance
03-17-2009, 05:34 PM
Bill,
Thanks. Yes, I have just re-read the 11 pages on the "next generation anchor" thread. Okay, I'll be honest, I skimmed through a good number of paragraghs, but did digest the majority of its informative content. So..
I did find answers to:
1) Type / chain size recommendations
2) Shackle recommendations

But...

1) Still would like to know what others are using for an anchor and it's weight.

2) Still looking for recommendations on nylon rode. I plan on using a leader of only about 30 feet of G43 chain.

3) Who has photos of their primary anchor stowed on a windline or kingston anchor roller? I would really like to see how others have outfitted their stem head / foredeck to accomodate a regular perch for their anchor to reside when not payed out.

I'm indecided if I'll stick with a Delta Fast-Set plow anchor. I'm know, more so than before, open to consider the Manson Supreme.

Thanks.

Tony G
03-18-2009, 08:37 AM
Okay, I'll bite. But understand I have no experience with any of these anchors yet and as such couldn't recomend any particular set-up.

The boat came with a 20+ pound danforth anchor. It is a beast! It is akward to handle and looks down right dangerous lying on the fore deck. When I saw it hanging off the pulpit 'battle ship' was the first thing that came to mind. I believe the rode is 25-30 feet of 5/16" chain on 100 feet of nylon.

When I was planning on using Dream Weaver as a lake cabin here in MN I never really gave two hoots about anchoring. So I was happy with that arrangment. Then a few years ago I got a great deal on a 16.5# Manta. I figured that would suit my purpose just fine and could hang off a roller versus being stored on chocks like the danforth.

Now that I have itchy feet, which are tired of being frozen, I have taken the plunge on a 25#Manson. An all chain rode seems like too much weight for me even though I think we'll have to redo my anchor locker/v-berth redo which may move the anchor rode weight a little farther aft and lower in the hull. 50 feet of G43 on a couple hundred feet of new, soft-hand anchor line should work. The danforth will stay as a secondary in a new and exciting locker idea stolen from another captain. The Manta? I don't know if that's enough for a loaded Ariel/Commander hull. What do you guys think?

As far as rollers go I might just have one made unless I can find a premanufactured one that I like. Doubt that though! I usually look about once a month to see if I can find anything that appeals to me but no luck yet. I'm thinking something along the lines of the model #1, Kestrel, has on her bow. A manual windlass is always on my shopping list but you never seem to find used ones and new ones are still out of my cost vs. benefit range. If I can score a windlass we just might go with more chain.

Chance
03-19-2009, 03:06 PM
Tony,
Thank you for the post as well as the great photos! The one of the underside (bottom) of the Manson Supreme anchor is the best and only photo I have ever now seen that captures the profile from the bottom, looking up, thank you.
Is that Ketrel's (Ariel #1) foredeck? Wow, nice anchor platform. I'd like to know the builder / designer of the photo in the upper right? That foredeck design is a real stout (can we say tank) set up, very nice indeed.
You couldn't have said it better in regards to a large Danforth hanging from the pulpit. Not only did I laugh at your descriptive, but felt like it summed up my impression as well. I too, do not want a fluke style anchor occupying any foredeck space, when it's stowed in the associated chocks. I also am opposed to a danforth hanging from the puplpit. I've determined that I will most definately go with some type of stout, very stout roller that will cantalever over the tow rail just a wee bit. At this point I know I'll have to relocated the bow chocks. It appears Kestrel did away with them all together, seeings they have different ones on the platform.
I have also determined that I'll be using between a 22-25 pound plow or perhaps a newer generation model, still undecided on this.
As for the rest, I'm going to go with 1/4 inch leader of say between 30-40 feet and make up the difference with nylon. Though I do understand the benefit of an "all" chain rode, I don't want that much weight up forward.
Speaking of weight up at the exteme bow area, that a good quality anchor set up consist of, it starts to add up, there is:

1) Anchor itself (25 lbs)
2) The roller (10 - 14 lbs)
3) Any associated support modifications (Glass, wood, garolite, stainless, etc.) (?lbs)
4) Chain (I think it's been stated that 1/4 High test weighs in at just over a pound per foot)
5) Chain pipe (Mine is bronze and weighs at least a couple of pounds)

I wonder how one would get an all chain rode further down and aft with the factory water tank in it's orginal location, if it can be done?

Okay, next time I post here, I'll include a photo of my relatively "bare" foredeck area and perhaps inspiration for others to suggest what they would or have done.

Good Day!