PDA

View Full Version : Cup holders

Commander227
10-19-2008, 09:40 AM
So last night I'm out for a nice fall sail, its chilly so theres no need for a cooler, and I only have an hour or so. I grab 2 beers. I open the first one after I clear the Marina and have a nice long run ahead of me. Sun is out leaves are at their peak fall colors, blowing 15-20 over flat water, its cold enough that no one else is out. Perfect. After a while I decide to beat back to the Marina, I take a little detour between a couple of extra pretty islands, single reef in the main and the 150% Genoa pulling me along. the Princess has a bone in her teeth, I'm dressed warn with a nice blanket over my lap as I reach for my second beer (nectar of the gods, Sam Adam lager). As I clear Gail Island I tack to starboard foolishly leaving my poor Sammy sitting on the bench under the winch. As I sheet in the headsail I hear the unmistakable sound of a glass bottle sliding across the non-skid....NNNOOOOOO!!!! I spin around just in time to see it bounce across the sole, spreading a creamy foam. I scoop it up holding the foamy bottle up to the light. I finish the tack, grab a bucket from the lazarette and rinse the floor. I settle back down and try to regain the magic...but it's ruined, the beer and my sail. On the way back to the marina I'm wondering for the 42nd time WWAD (what would Alberg do) I mean he sailed a Commander, where did he put the cup holders. I have stripped the life lines from 227 so the dangling kind aren't an option, I hate the gimbled type as they inevitably get fouled in a sheet. Sometimes I think it would be best to cut 3" holes in the cockpit benches and bond in the flush mounted type, but then the drain holes would let water in to the lazarettes, maybe that isn't so bad.
How have the rest of you dealt with the single biggest design flaw on these sticky floored vessels?

bill@ariel231
10-19-2008, 11:22 AM
i've found the cockpit accessable icebox and the sink are a good places to stow beverages during a tack. A-231 also has a winch handle holder on the forward side of the cockpit that will hold some smaller water bottles.

i can't remember who's done it, but i recall one of the Ariel rehabs included moulded in drink holders in the cockpit. I bet Moderator Bill or Ebb will remember the link....

;)

Rico
10-19-2008, 11:43 AM
#1 Task for the crew is to hold the short-handed skipper's beer... No?

I am very familiar with the unmistakable sound of a glass bottle sliding across the non-skid. During refurbishment I thought long & hard about this very important issue, but decided against incorportaing any cup holding contraptions into the Mephisto Cat...

I am also a fan of vintage cars, and have the same issue with passenger complaints regarding cup holders -now I just do not have drinks in the cars! A much more appropriate solution for a car since beer all that acceptable while driving...

When I am out single handling, I simply follow the steps below:
- Determine time/distance to physical/imaginary Jive/tack mark.
- Toast upcoming Jive/tack by taking drink from beer with just enough time to enjoy swig PRIOR to reaching said mark - ensuring to keep beer in hand post-swig.
- In quick succession; crank tiller, Release Jib sheet, and gently place beer container on what will be the new lee side.
- Sheet in headsail as required. Listen for sound of beer container sliding gently (and safely) against the lee side coambing.
- Adjust sheet on winch, & Secure sheet on cleat.
- Reach for beer container now resting securely against lee side coambing.
- Settle on winward side onto a skipperly pose.
- Adjust accordingly to maintain new course .
- Celebrate successful completion of manouvre with drink from beer.
- Wave to any other vessels with which you may have just narrowly missed a collission.
- Maintain course for enough time to enjoy at least 2-3 drinks from beer.
- Repeat.

SkipperJer
10-19-2008, 03:24 PM
I found some totally tacky but perfectly functional, after-market cupholders at the auto parts store. They are designed to hang off the inside of the car door or the glove box lid. The hangers fit perfectly over the coamings. We sometimes will leave the bottom hatchboard in and hang them from that. I also stick to beer from cans to avoid the broken glass issue. In a cockpit the size of a Commander's, those bottles can achieve a lot of velocity.

Commander227
10-19-2008, 06:22 PM
Rico,
the smooth movements that only diligent practice can produce.
SkipperJer,
I can picture the cup holders you're talking about... I like it!!!
No commitment needed for location, no new mounting holes, can be moved according to crew placement, inexpensive, simple. I'll be hitting the nearest Walmart automotive section soon.

commanderpete
10-20-2008, 03:23 AM
My condolences on your recent loss

A winch handle holder works well. In a pinch, it can also hold a winch handle.

My crew obviously needs a great deal more training

SkipperJer
10-20-2008, 05:33 AM
The plastic cup holders are decidedly un-shippy but work well. I still have the "vintage" winch holders screwed to the face of the coamings. Neither bottles nor cans fit into those.

Where do the winches go when those plastic holsters are full of beer bottles?

commanderpete
10-20-2008, 06:55 AM
Hmmmm, I'm going to have to give this more thought

If you want to get serious about it

Tony G
10-20-2008, 08:31 AM
That is a shame...we Minnesotans do love our beer.

You have what I belive is the right idea. Mount those babies flush in the seat. Handy, secure, dignified. A place for everything and everything in its place. And in a Commander cockpit you have room for 4-6 holders. There is plenty of room underneath the seat for insulation. A narrow slot cut in the right location would accomodate a cup handle if you are so inclined to using a coffee cup. Bring that slot a tad below the depth of the cup holder's bottom and you could contrive a self-draining cup holder!

Trust me, I have given this idea much too much attention. Realizing you have most of the next six months to work on a design we'll expect photos when spring thaw rolls around.:D

Cheers!

ebb
10-21-2008, 11:46 AM
Actually a search found something that might actually be actually useful.
google Beverage holders - Cockpit simulations
www.bfsmedia.com/cockpits/products/parts/holders.html

(No idea why this accurately copied address doesn't work?
But the google type in title will....)

Inexpensive airplane style fold-downs that might be great in the A/C cockpit.
But like they say they are 'simulations' and might be junk.
__________________________________________________ _____________________________________________
Those polypropylene single drink holders can be found at
Roll Control System - Diving, Fishing, Boating Accessories
in different styles, under $7.

Have to tpye in whole address to access pix and product.
google Drink Holder www.DicksSportingGoogds.com
spun aluminum cup/liners that could be dropped into hole-sawed holes.
If left removable, a fold up shelf could be made for the bridgedeck cockpit bulkhead that would hold these color-coded liners for drinks when needed.

Imagine a sewing project that could employ easy to rinse netting material and sunbrella - would have a horizontal bottom under the beverages - and have around it a cloth coaming segmented inside to keep cans and cups upright and separated.
It might have elastic around the top and would hang at the end of the cockpit on the bridgedeck riser. Made removable with turn the dot fasteners and brass grommets - and be easy to roll-up and put away.

Something like this could be made versatile for not only cans and cups, but insulated containers and small water bottles. Might have deep pockets for winch handles at the sides. Mo betta then those moldy vinyl thingies.

mbd
10-21-2008, 08:31 PM
Well, lacking Rico's dexterity, CPete's ingenuity, and NOT wanting to cut any holes in my decks, I stained a 1x4 and drop it in when we go out sailing - kind of along SkipperJer's idea. Nice for holding other things too.

Might be a long reach for you Commander types though... :p

SkipperJer
10-22-2008, 06:12 AM
I used a 1"x4" in the companionway hatch to mount an extension speaker from the VHF and the dashboard base for my GPS when racing. The gear went on the far right. I cut the board down in the center and toward the left to keep the hatch as clear as possible to allow for dashing below for sail changes. Cup holders are relegated to the aft coamings for racing. I'll send a picture when (and if) I get my prototype rig prettied up.