PDA

View Full Version : Woes of a new boat

Hull_295
08-09-2008, 11:40 PM
So one of the first things we did after buying Katydid was to move her to her new temp home. This was a chore. Our first try ended in us going an hour out and taking two hours to get back to our starting dock with no less then 15 engine failures. Let me explain she came with a Johnson 15hp 1974 engine. I'm not sure the engine has been out of the water let alone worked on for over 4 years. We had a friend loan us an engine to do the move. We took the Johnson to a shop and were told 'I wouldn't put money into that" So we now will be getting a new one. We are looking at the tohatsu 6hp since people here love it. I'll throw up a few pics of the dead engine later.

ebb
08-10-2008, 08:57 AM
Throw up some of the new one Too!:cool:

Tim Mertinooke
08-10-2008, 09:44 AM
That is a great engine for your boat. I bought a brand new Nissan 6HP which is the same engine as your new one and had no troubles the entire season. Outboards have come a long way.

Hull_295
08-10-2008, 10:22 PM
Think we are going with the ultra long shaft found it for 1400 without tax and ship and we can do payments. While we wait for delivery we are doing our teak work.

Hull_295
08-16-2008, 04:10 PM
So we are getting the Tohatsu 6hp Ultra Long it's been ordered now we wait for it to show. Some asked for pics of the old totally dead engine so here are a few. As you can see it was in a bad way.

ebb
08-17-2008, 08:51 AM
Ole Johnson was a hard case
Always in a sea of troubles.

Finis Coronat Opus

mbd
08-18-2008, 09:30 AM
A dependable engine will make a world of difference in your boating experience. I had a similar experience to yours with our first boat as well - in fact, I think it was a 70's vintage Johnson too. I was ready to chuck the whole "sailing" thing because I had stalled out one too many times in the shipping channel. It does wonders for you peace of mind to know that your engine will work when you need it. Good luck, and post some pics of your teak work!