Richard Janek
07-01-2002, 12:49 PM
I am seeking advice on installing a masthead VHF
antenna. Is it feasible perform the work while
the mast is still on the boat?

-Richard Janek

Bill
07-01-2002, 02:01 PM
Sounds a bit trcky, but there may be a way. You might consider talking to a rigger to get his thoughts. Most will tell you how to do it, if it's possible. Check the ads in Latitude 38.

Mike Goodwin
07-01-2002, 02:21 PM
The hardest part is running the cable up inside the mast , all else can be done from a bosun's chair or on deck .

S.Airing
07-02-2002, 10:41 AM
I took mine down and put pop rivited a 3/4 inch pvc pipe wire chase up the mast.I got tired of hearing the steaming light wire bounce inside of the mast when I anchored out.Pulled all the wire up through the pipe.Pull it off and check your rigging at the same time.Money well spent.Sorry no pictures.

noeta-112
07-10-2002, 10:26 AM
Running cable up inside the mast would indeed be a chore ... so .. how about this. Climb the mast - safely - drill a hole for the antenna cable but instead of feeding in the cable - first feed in some weighted line ... perhaps monofilament with a few lead sinkers clamped to the end you feed in first. you should be able to get this to the bottom of the mast where you can then drill a " drainage hole" as recommended in the Ariel manual and then using a piece of hooked wire ... fish out the monofilament line.

Attach the antenna cable to the upper end and draw it down through the mast and out ... It would make sense to drill another hole at the base of the mast and lead the cable out through rather than plug up your new drainage hole..
:)

Disclaimer: I have never tried this ...but it is the way I would tackle it if the mast was in place.

Russ

Theis
07-12-2002, 04:24 PM
It should be cheapest, I would think, unless you personally go up the mast, to take the mast down. Taking the mast down also probably means you can do a better job. A masthead antenna is just too important for safety reasons. Incidentally, I think with that length of cable run, you need the big antenna cable (about a half inch in diameter as I recall to minimize transmission loss.

On the other hand, where you are located, you may not ever get far from shore or other boats so the strength of transmission may not be that important. But for those that sail open waters, transmission efficiency and loss, and the size of the cable, are matters to be considered.