PDA

View Full Version : Hatch Rails Commander

John
09-26-2007, 10:38 AM
It appears to me that the only easy way to redo the Hatch rails on my Commander is to remove - refinish and replace. Is this a bear of a job or as simple as it looks. That is, to remove the rails, simply unfasten them from below ans lift?

bill@ariel231
09-26-2007, 12:21 PM
John

It's easy just, the screws from below and a couple in the companionway trim.

I've removed the rails on A-231 just a couple times in 10+ years. The first time to varnish and re-bed the rails. To varnish in place i just remove the aluminum slide from the top and cleanup the old finish with a random orbit or detail sander. A pretty easy task in the context of all the other things that need attention on an Ariel or Commander.

cheers,
bill@ariel231

Rico
09-26-2007, 01:46 PM
Are there any construction / fabrication drawings for the wood portion of the companionway trim? I think that some of my Commander's original trim is too worn and cracked...
I cannot tell how the lower portions are attached. Does anyone have some insight on this? Thanks.

commanderpete
09-27-2007, 07:46 AM
You have to remove some pieces to reveal the screws hidden underneath.

I have some replacement trim pieces, if you can post a photo of your damaged ones

Rico
10-01-2007, 03:47 PM
The two vertical 'rails' are pretty much gone now... They sort of fell apart as I unfastened them... A couple of the lower trip pieces had a bit of rot, and I would not use them again...

I discovered the screws all along thre trip pieces, but they would not budge once these were removed... It seems that the PO followed the same philosophy as with the coamings... 'Glue them, glue them for good -once, and for all time!'

Oh dear...

No going back now!

bill@ariel231
10-02-2007, 04:51 AM
do you have enough material to get the original dimensions?

Rico
10-02-2007, 08:47 AM
I do. I was careful not to destroy the whole thing... In fact, I will try to assemble it as reference for a new one.
I was hoping for some drawings in order to confirm original dimensions as the wood is well worn.

It is not a very complex design in principle, the trick is to ensure that the water hitting the hatch flows TO THE OUTSIDE of the hatch...

How is mahogany for an ocean environment (it will be varnished)?

bill@ariel231
10-02-2007, 10:36 AM
mahogany works just fine with varnish or polyurethane....:)