PDA

View Full Version : Boat creaks, should I groan?

commanderpete
10-06-2001, 07:54 AM
I'm hearing an occasional creaking sound from the boat. Its localized to the forward end of the starboard cockpit seat.

It happens when I'm bashing into waves.

But, it also happens at the dock when I step on that area.

I thought maybe the fiberglass skin on the cockpit seat might have delaminated from the balsa core. But, I don't even know if that area is cored.

There is no rot anywhere and everything is rock solid.

The only other thing I can think of is that there must be some seperation somewhere at an attachment point that I can't see.

Maybe I should just expect a little noise from an old boat? After all, my bones are starting to creak too.

frank e wille
12-07-2001, 01:31 PM
Any views on leading halyards back to cockpit?;p

frank e wille
12-08-2001, 06:09 AM
How does one get logged in ? Havetried twice with postings latel.. This one is for rocket scientists... no results@! The previous engine was super sluggish . Help!

commanderpete
12-10-2001, 08:56 AM
Frank,

I think you only have to register the first time and then you can post.

Anyway, at least I finally got a reply to my submission.

I did find a hairline crack at the base of one of the plywood "knees" where it attaches to the shelf. I think I will re-tab that. While I'm at it I might stiffen the boat up here and there.

When I bought the boat I found a bent turbuckle on that chainplate which I replaced. I think the boat may have been rigged too tight at one point.

Well, the old girl is finally on the hard. I have a 5 page "to do" list of projects I'll probably never get to.

Here's a hint: Always grease the mounting bracket screws on your outboard engine. I spent a half hour loosening those frozen bastards yesterday. :Ugh:

Theis
12-26-2001, 09:16 AM
I would think there should be some concern. There shouldn't be any squeaking from the hull (although there might be something from what is in the lassarettes that squeaks when bounced) It is entirely possible that the deck has separated from the hull in that location. The bond is not overly substantial. However, if there was a break in that bond, I would think you would encounter leakage and the shelves would be wet after a frolic such as you describe.

Another place you might take a look at is the liner of the cabin and the deck/cabin top. I have not encountered a squeak as you did, but am encountering leakage in the cabin top fittings because the gap between the liner and the cabin top has decreased, at least on the starboard side. If this dimension can change, there is no reason why there couldn't be squeaking when under stress. Do any of your cabintop fittings leak, and are the barrel nuts or whatever on the underside of the cabin tight?

I'll be interested in what you find out.

commanderpete
12-31-2001, 10:32 AM
No, all the deck hardware is leak free, although I'm going to re-bed as much as i can this year.

I did have one pesky leak last year which I hunted down and traced to the genoa track.

You mentioned a "liner" on the interior of the cabin. I only have painted fiberglass. I have the interior mostly sanded in preperation for another paint job. Is there another option?

As far as the "creak" goes, I'm going to re-tab anything that looks suspect and maybe reinforce the interior hull-deck joint. I'll have to wait till next year to see if it works.

Theis
01-02-2002, 08:09 AM
Interesting that the Commander doesn't have a cabin liner. I never realized that difference between the Commander and the Ariel (which is what I have). The bow cabin of the Ariel does not have a liner and is rough (although it is a laminated construction). The pattern of the glass fabric shows, and is painted. The main cabin is smooth finished.

Question: In the sandwich construction of the deck, and I assume cabin, what is the material underlying the balsa core? Could the squeak be coming from a separation of the top and bottom laminates so that they are moving relative to one another (which would be similar to having the liner and deck laminate separate? I assume that the Commander has a laminated deck and cabin. Right?

Could the difference between the Ariel and Commander cabin be nothing other than that in the Ariel cabin the bottomside of the underlayment is a "positive" mold, whereas in the Commander and the bow cabin it is not? I don't know. Intriguing!

Bill
01-02-2002, 02:42 PM
The Commannder has no cabin liner. Otherwise, the deck/cabin layup is identical to the Ariel -- Cabin top and foredeck to end of cabin trunk are balsa cored.

frank e wille
05-30-2002, 04:30 PM
After loss of steering leaving marina pulled boat found no keyunder cap?! Experienced much grinding in apeture. Have purchased 1/4 in bronze stock for new key. Found an afixed fbg small brick which put next to rudder stopped range of motion on that side alone. Rudde r looks peevely, but.... drift pins? Shaft looks rough but hate to take rudder off to inspect it! any comments, suggestions gratefully welcomed!! Still not sure of effect of grinding on prop & gears Will have mechanic look at it and clutch!!

frank e wille
06-02-2002, 06:49 AM
Looks like I will have to replace rudder & shaft in future ;Would appreaciate any experience shared.

Bill
06-02-2002, 11:38 AM
Owner's manual has a section on removing and replacing the rudder.