PDA

View Full Version : Sail dimensions and Sailmakers

rudy
06-13-2002, 04:29 PM
1. What are the technical sail dimensions for a Commander. The sailmakers want to know the I, IC, J, JC, P, E, PY, and EY.
2. Does anyone have recommendations on sailmakers?
3. Any ideas on using a low cut 110. Looks like you would need a new track on the deck.
4. Has anyone tried a 130?

Mike Goodwin
06-13-2002, 05:50 PM
This link ;

http://www.baconsails.com/database/boatspecdev.php

Will take you to a database for all Pearson yachts , the Ariel and Commander are near the bottom .
No reason why a 130 would not work , it's a little small for my sailing where a 150 is small , I need a 180 for summer sailing . You do need a new track for a modern working jib , it goes on deck up between the cabin and the shrouds .

Mike G.

Mike Goodwin
06-13-2002, 05:52 PM
Pearson Commander designed by Alberg
I
ISP
J
SPL
P
E
Py
Ey
Check mains in stock
Check Jibs in stock
Draft
C/B
Prop
OB
Beam
Disp
LWL
UP S/D
DW S/D
D/L
Year

Bill
06-13-2002, 08:17 PM
We have very good luck with Hogin Sails here in the Bay Area. They understand heavy displacement sailboat sails and will ship. Prices are very competitve.

http://www.sfsailing.com/hoginsails/

Ed Ekers
06-18-2002, 08:36 AM
Rudy, I have a 125 that we use often. I had to mount a track for it since it wraps around the shrouds. Rather than have a bunch of different tracks for different sails I installed a single 1" track that runs from just aft of the aft lowers back to near the primary winches. This track will also take the genoa leads, a fair lead for the working jib, and if you ever use a spinnaker it will give you some options on other rigging like twingers.

As far as the 125 goes we have found that it offers the best option for performance and balance in a very wide wind range. The boat sails very well from 8 - 20 knots of wind, with 12 - 16 knots being the perfect conditions.......ed

mrgnstrn
03-05-2004, 07:10 AM
Does any body know the correct spinnaker dimentions?
The manual only states "C C A" for luff, foot, leech.
Also, you folks with asymmetrics/flashers/genakers/etc, what is the correct Luff?
I am trolling the used sail bins at Bacon Sails looking for an asym of some sort, hoping that knowing the base starting point for a symmetric will help.
Muchas Gracias.

Theis
03-06-2004, 05:35 AM
When I bought my asymmetrical from Doyle, those dimensions never arose in our discussions (nor did they with any other sailmaker I spoke with) - and I am not certain they are needed - asymmetricals being what they are. The shape being computer generated, the CCA dimensions may no longer be relevant.

Looking at my Doyle documents, I show they used I=31.70, J=9.5, P=27.00 and E=11.83. All but the "I" dimensions would appear to me to be irrelevant for an asymmetical.

The dimensions, as I recall, result from the intended purpose of the asymmetrical. If you want a deep downwind sail (165 degrees max), they have broad shoulders (which is what I have - at 530 sq. ft of .75 oz. nylon). If you want more of a broad reacher, the shoulders drop off. For close reaching, I would assume they come closer to a conventional reacher - like a large, lightweight genoa. I got the downwinder, which I use on everything from a broad reach to a downwind run.

In other words, a good sailmaker will take the I dimension, what you want to use the sail for, and take it from there. Allthough I see the C C and A dimensions marked in the sailplan, they never came up in any discussions with any sailmaker (and I talked to many of them).

The gennaker is a great sail. Fun, even sailing solo.

Toby
03-06-2004, 04:02 PM
I bought a new 150% genoa for a Catalina 25 (standard rig) from National Sails and am very pleased. Their responded to my questions about their sails:

Thank you for your inquiry.

The Catalina 25 std rig hank-on genoas are built to the standard dimensions of luff 29.5, leech 27.85 and foot 17.37.

These sails include leech lines with cleats, hanks on luff, tell tales and sail bags, are priced new at $511, and are in stock and available for immediate delivery.

To order you can call, fax or email with your shipping and payment details (we accept all major credit cards) or you can use our secure online order form via our website www.nationalsail.com (click on "sails for catalinas")

Thanks again and we look forward to being of service,
Dirk Sharland
National Sail Supply (Rolly Tasker Sails, Florida)
14042 Marquette Blvd.
Fort Myers, FL 33905
www.nationalsail.com
Toll Free (within US) 1-800-611-3823
Outside US 239-693-1896
Fax 239-693-5504

Obviously, the dimensions differ a bit from the Commander, but you'll need a custom sail to get an exact match. It'll fit a bit better but at twice the cost. Just not worth it to me. I found National Sails freindly, professional and worthy of repeat business. Highly recommended. Some possible online sources for used sails...

http://www.usedsails.com/
http://thesailwarehouse.com
http://www.mastheadsailinggear.com/

mrgnstrn
03-08-2004, 07:28 AM
Yes, I spoke with the guy at Bacon's (great used stuff!) and he suggested at luff of 27-32 feet and a foot of 15 to 20 feet.
Since I am trolling for a used one, I really can't be that choosy with regard to how far downwind it will optimally set. I kind of have to take what I can get. Besides, for dead downwind, I have a symmetric spinnaker, if I feel up to flying it.

Theis
03-08-2004, 09:11 AM
But my guess, in answer to your question, is that spinnaker dimensions are not so much rig related - i.e. specific dimensions as with a main sail or jib, for example, but whatever turns on your sailmaker, your pocketbook or you, - within a range. That is likely why there were no specific numbers listed for C, C and A on the sailplan. Maybe.

bob hogin
03-08-2004, 04:28 PM
under p h r f the I and J are relavent in spin design and headsails but talking to sailmakers they wouldnt ask you unless they did not have it in their data base. spin luff is close to I and max width is 180% of j.
assymetricals being used under phrf have to measure in no bigger than the reg spinn sizes. various classes use oversize spinns and are rated acordingly under phrf. jc is j corrected and is what is used for over size spinns and headsails, the same is truewith Ic.
the boats J maybe 13 but Jc is 14 which is what the rating is based on and is whatever the class or custom one off has decided to use if it is diff.
bob