PDA

View Full Version : Painting The Interior

commanderpete
06-04-2002, 06:47 AM
I finished stripping down the interior. No walk in the park. I originally intended to just sand down any flaking paint and rough up the rest. Didn't work out that way. Once I started sanding, more and more paint wanted to go.

What makes it difficult is that the surface is not smooth, lots of hills and valleys.

Here's how it looked after I sanded it a few times. The white areas is the old paint (low spots)

commanderpete
06-04-2002, 06:51 AM
A few days after I finished sanding, more paint would start to flake. Back at it again. And so on.

I ended up taking off a whole lot of paint.

commanderpete
06-04-2002, 06:58 AM
The brown, chocolate colored areas is a fairing compound I mixed with epoxy and phenolic microballoons. This covers the spots where I fiberglassed the bulkheads, corners and hull deck joint.

I also fiberglassed a new (lower) shelf on each side of the boat. This is the starboard side, looking aft.

commanderpete
06-04-2002, 07:01 AM
Sorry, that was the port side. Here is the starboard side.

commanderpete
06-04-2002, 07:03 AM
The starboard shelf has a cut out so I can open the drawer of the galley.

commanderpete
06-04-2002, 07:08 AM
These photos are pretty bad. I used a disposable camera and scanned them.

I have a head with a holding tank. The hoses leading up to the deck were exposed. I'm building a little box to cover them. Still need to cut out the front covers.

commanderpete
06-04-2002, 07:12 AM
Just about ready for painting.

You might be able to see a little of the original, green paint.

I'll be painting the interior the same shade of green. Both because I like the color and in the interests of historical accuracy.

commanderpete
06-04-2002, 07:15 AM
Just kidding.

A coat of primer sure helps to brighten thing up a bit.

commanderpete
06-04-2002, 07:17 AM
port side after primer.

commanderpete
06-04-2002, 07:19 AM
I have one top coat on now.

commanderpete
06-04-2002, 07:21 AM
I feel better now

S.Airing
06-04-2002, 07:24 AM
Looks good,its so bright I need sunglasses!!Is the new shelf for the inverter and microwave?

commanderpete
06-04-2002, 07:29 AM
I'll post some better photos soon.

Still have to do the laminate and put all the teak trim back on.

Glad to finish this job. Sanding the interior is no fun. Alot of tight spots and corners. Awkward and confined. Clouds of dust.

To use a respirator properly you have to mash it into your face to make an airtight seal. Leaves creases in your face for about an hour afterwards. Sorry, no pictures.

commanderpete
06-04-2002, 07:48 AM
Don't know about an inverter and microwave. I'm mechanically challenged.

I figure the shelf would be handy for storing important items like beer coozies and bags of chips.

S.Airing
06-04-2002, 08:09 AM
So I assume youll be done next weekend? Isnt your sailing season up in New York half way over?

S.Airing
06-04-2002, 09:05 AM
Im with you Commanderpete,remember Ive been there.

S.Airing
06-04-2002, 06:53 PM
Commanderpete you have the revised pictures yet?I hear there calling for snow next week in New York.

commanderpete
06-06-2002, 07:14 AM
I'm working on it Steve, honest. You're a hard taskmaster, my friend.

I had to paint that ugly hole I've been calling a motor well.

commanderpete
06-06-2002, 07:29 AM
I beefed up all the chainplate areas with fiberglass. Of course, now the chainplate screws are too short. I have some longer bronze screws and washers coming from Jamestown.

commanderpete
06-06-2002, 07:32 AM
All the hatches needed painting. I used two part paint on the outside and Brightsides on the inside.

commanderpete
06-06-2002, 07:36 AM
I think one coat of primer and one top coat is enough. I'm calling this job done.

commanderpete
06-06-2002, 07:38 AM
Could have used a flash on this picture.

S.Airing
06-06-2002, 07:41 AM
Hey Pete,these pictures are huge! What software are you using?Youve found something different.I really like the Commanders layout better than the Ariels.Must not be much headroom thou,Im 6'2'' but I a do agree with Mike I dont do a whole lot of standing below unless Im cooking.The doger lets me keep the hatch always open for plenty of head space for that.

commanderpete
06-06-2002, 07:42 AM
For the new shelves, I have some nice 3" teak rails to front them with and keep stuff from falling off the shelves.

commanderpete
06-06-2002, 07:51 AM
When I fiberglassed the shelves, I made sure the wood didn't touch the hull. I formed the brace underneath by using soft pipe insulation covered with layers of glass. The shelf is glassed about 4" to the hull on top, and about 6" below.

It's my typical fiberglassing job. A bit sloppy but tremendously strong. I had to sand down the lumpy parts and fair it (twice).

commanderpete
06-06-2002, 08:01 AM
For those boxes to cover the hoses, the bottom one had to be as small as possible so that the cushion would fit. The cushions were not original, and had been cut to fit the hoses.

I had to reposition one of the hoses, using a hole saw to cut new holes, filling the old holes with the plugs.

I think I'll have to create a front for the bottom one out of cardboard covered with fiberglass. The top front will be removable.

Naturally, I'll trim the edges with teak molding so it looks purdy. :cool:

S.Airing
06-06-2002, 08:02 AM
I cant wait to see the new cushions.

commanderpete
06-06-2002, 08:16 AM
Steve.

I upped the pixels to about 1100, guess thats why the photos are bigger. No sharper, though.

Funny, I've been admiring the interior of the Ariel. Definitely no standing headroom inside a Commander. If you raise the forward hatch, you can stand up while you take a piss.

For the paint, I used the Brightsides I had left over from painting the hull. I thought about adding the flattening agent. A shiny paint shows the surface defects more. But, by the time I thought about that, I had already painted the hatch covers at home.

We'll see how everything looks when I have the covers on, the galley, the laminate,the cushions and the teak. For now I have to forget about the interior and get the boat in sailing trim.

I usually sail from late April into December. I'm suffering from severe withdrawl symptoms by now.