PDA

View Full Version : Ariel weight?

dmp
05-31-2002, 11:26 PM
I know that displacement isn't an accurate measurement of weight. Anybody know the approximate weight of an Ariel?
I am not sure if my vehicle can tow it, or if I will need something with more towing capability.

I am also looking to find a trailer to tow an ariel from Chicago to Cleveland. If anyone knows of any trailers I could rent, let me know. (Trailers in Northern OH, Southern MI, Northern ILL, Northern IN, Southern WI ??)

TIA,
Doug

Mike Goodwin
06-01-2002, 12:38 PM
The displacement is the weight of the boat and every thing on it or in it . It takes X lbs to displace X cubic feet of water that is why steel boats can float .

Theis
06-10-2002, 08:15 PM
My puppy is a documented vessel, and for the purposes of documentation, Solsken has a measured displacement of six tons net.

The lead is supposed to be 2,500 lbs. Pearson, as Bill has informed me, vacillated in literature all over the map on the weight - from 5,000 t0 6,500 lbs. Knowing how the boats were laid up at that time, (by hand) there may not have been that much consistency. Then, too, the hull weight and the weight of the complete boat could differ possibly by as much as 1,000 lbs (mast, cabin lining, who knows what else). And then there is the water that has been absorbed who knows where. Then, lastly, there is the beer in the bilge.

However, if you are planning to trail the boat, my suggestion is that you go with 6,500 lbs. If this is over what the weight really is, you are still safe. However, if you figure 5,000 lbs, and have a 5,000 trailer, but you have a 6,500 pound rig, that is a bad deal (and I have had my litter puppy lying on the side of the expressway with my displeasure was being expressed by the look in my eyes and my general body language. Not a pleasant scene.) Go safe.

As for the measured tonnage required for documentation, that is probably correct if the boat was full of water to the plimsel line.

Mike Goodwin
06-11-2002, 04:37 AM
Dont forget the tow vehicle , a Ford Ranger ain't gonna do the job .
You need a big block whatever preferable with dual rear and tow package . A tow that is twice as heavy as you are can take over .
I have towed a 5500# boat and it is hard on the vehicle and driver.
My favorite is the Dodge with dual rear and the Cummins diesel option , it makes the job easy .
And please check the brakes beforehand , was coming down the Delaware Mem. bridge over Delaware Bay when the brakes quit , load behind was over twice as heavy . Had to go to a proctologist to remove my shorts .