PDA

View Full Version : Commander Emblems

Steve Guza
02-17-2003, 01:13 PM
The Commanders have a label on the front of the coammings that has Commander written in script. Does anyone have a pair for sale or have a resource for these?

Bill
02-17-2003, 02:09 PM
Please check out the following thread - "Name and logo trim piece (http://pearsonariel.org/discussion/showthread.php?threadid=212&highlight=Name+and+logo+trim+piece) " - We have a member supplying Bristol Bronze with a plate to use for a pattern. The price should be about the same as the one for the Ariel ($55 ea), but of course, "Commander" is longer than "Ariel." :p There will be an announcement when the plates are available.

Brendan Watson
03-05-2003, 09:54 PM
I've got a feeling that this might be an unpopular post but I have to
do it. I had my Commander for some time when I saw another one
with the big, chromed, nameplates. My first thought was, I gotta have those!
It was more the allure of rare, original equipment, (anyone
have the crankhandle for the mainsail roller-reefing?) than an obscene
desire to break up the sheer of the coamings with what looks like car parts,
only bigger. I invite anyone considering tacking the Commander plates on their
boat to reconsider . As for buying them, I'd get one, and keep it on my desk.
Besides, everyone knows a Commander when they see one, and I'd lay dollars
to doughnuts that Alberg was none to thrilled about the badges. The Ariel's badge
looks nice,a keeper in bronze.
Remember, this is only one man's opinion on what is surely an affair of taste.
Cheers, B.
Commander#215

Hull376
03-16-2003, 06:17 PM
Hey Brendan,

Take a look at this! Guess what it is.

Hull376
03-16-2003, 06:21 PM
And Brendan,

Guess what else. I couldn't resist chroming all my other hardware once I saw how the logo looked in chrome. I want to compete with Harley's and 57' Chevy's! Pitted out chome no, bright shiny original factory, yes!

French
03-18-2003, 04:55 PM
How much did all that crome work cost ya??

Hull376
03-18-2003, 08:28 PM
Tooo much, but it was a top notch job.

Total price was around $400. Reason is that all the pieces had to be polished down before the plating process. Otherwise, the chrome will just not adhere properly and pits will develop again sooner rather than much later. All these pieces were a real mess. Lots of detailed work in preparation, and I paid for it! But the work came out flawless- I'm really happy with the result. There's also a masking process on the winches, for example, so that the chrome only plates on to the appropriate exposed surfaces, and leaves the inner working parts (contact points) bare bronze. Cheaper shops would just plate the whole thing. With my job, They were even able to retain the "South Coast" engraving on the old winches, which wasn't easy to do. I know a lot of us have trashed the old winches, and I could have done OK buying some new parts, but I can't part with my original stuff. They look fine---- But, like everything with boat rehab, nothing seems to be cheap (except for the stuff that Commander Pete finds at the Dollar store), and I think you get what you pay for. Also with Chrome shops, some follow all the new environmental rules and also protect their employees from some really nasty stuff-- while others don't (and usually do things cheaper).

Brendan Watson
03-20-2003, 10:06 PM
Yeah, Kent all that stuff looks real nice, its really the size of the
Commander badge that I have trouble with. I have since found a roller reefing
gooseneck crank handle, the guy said he never used it and didn't expect to. I traded
a new Windex, in the box, for it. Question, when you had the winches chromed did
the drums get as slick as they look or is there still some friction to be had? If I had a
digital camera I'd show you a nice picture of some sweet,self-tailing, Barlow 19's with
a little bronze showing.
Cheers, B.
Commander#215

Hull376
03-21-2003, 08:43 PM
Brendan,

Winches still grip fine, or at least as well as they did when new. Certainly not as well as modern ones with the extra grip added. These are antiques, but so is the rest of the boat!

Bill
01-20-2004, 09:54 PM
From Bristol Bronze: "The Commander Logo is in process now. We should have the initial batch of castings in about two weeks. The part number for the Commander logo will be BB0304 and it will sell for the same price as the Ariel logo."

Roger W.
Bristol Bronze
401-625-5224
--------
Note:
Plates are $50 each + $6.50 S&H

PO Box 101
Tiverton, RI 02878
401-625-5224
www.bristolbronze.com

cbs
07-10-2006, 02:40 PM
LOOKING FOR THE EMBLEMS FOR THE COMMANDER I HAVE RECENTLY PURCHASED # 254 AND AM RESTORING i WILL BE SENDING PICS ALONG AS WELL , ANY HISTORY ON #254 WOULD BE OF GREAT INTEREST THE BOAT IS IN STUART FL. , BASED ON CONDITION I PRESUME IT CAME FROM THE NORTHEAST ?

Bill
07-10-2006, 08:02 PM
Do a search on "logo plates" and you should find the information.

Rico
07-11-2006, 08:11 PM
If you find them at a good price I'll be interested in getting one...

Group buy anyone?

Bill
07-11-2006, 10:27 PM
COMMANDER LOGO PLATE
From Bristol Bronze: "The Commander Logo is in process now. We should have the initial batch of castings in about two weeks. The part number for the Commander logo will be BB0304 and it will sell for the same price as the Ariel logo."

Roger W.
Bristol Bronze
401-625-5224
--------
Note:

PO Box 101
Tiverton, RI 02878
401-625-5224
www.bristolbronze.com

commanderpete
07-12-2006, 07:16 AM
I ordered one from Roger about a year ago. He said he had them, but the part never arrived. Was going to charge me $75.

Spoke to him today. He said he might have done one in the past as a "one-off" but hadn't done the tooling to make a casting.

Didn't he do this already?

Roger said he would do the casting, but would need to borrow an original for two weeks. He'd make it in silicone bronze and would probably charge about $75 each.

Anybody have one?

I don't think my boat ever had them, since I don't see any screw holes. I was going to put one on the top hatchway board.

http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussion/attachment.php?attachmentid=2364&stc=1

He said he had the Ariel ones

bill@ariel231
07-12-2006, 08:05 AM
When I stopped by Rodger's place 6 months back. The Ariel logo pattern was clean and reproducable (I bought 2 for the boat and 1 for a half hull that hangs in my office), the Commander logo plate was being done as a lost wax model and had some problems where the zinc original was corroded (the copy shared the same flaws).

If anyone is interested in making a new pattern, either a new wood model needs to be produced or an original needs to be cleaned up and repaired...

Robert Lemasters
07-13-2006, 01:07 PM
Some years ago I sent Bristol Bronze one of my original Commander logos to make bronze replacements for the Association. A few years ago I asked for it back. I guess Bristol still has my logo somewhere. My logo was attached with screws forward on each outward side of the commings. I sent them the least pot marked one so Commander members would have a good copy in bronze . The logo is made of some sort of pot metal material that has trapped gases that escape over time causing pits to form. Come to think of it the coins we now call money are made of some kind of worthless pot metal. I hope Bristol would make some bronze ones, I would like a couple of them. :mad:

cbs
07-14-2006, 07:05 AM
hello , i spoke with roger on tues. and he said the emblems would be sent by the end of the month (july) I gave him my cc # hope i recieve them! your replies make me think other wise.

Bill
07-14-2006, 09:46 AM
. . . hope i recieve them! your replies make me think other wise.

Roger has been dependable in the past.

ebb
07-14-2006, 10:00 AM
It has been my (limited) experience that Roger does
NOT send models back. I felt this was due to eccentric
vicissitudes that must be excused because he has
a 'bank' or museum attitude toward old fittings, ours included.

If Roger still answers the phone, you might ask him
point blank to send your stuff back. ("Hmmm, What shelf
did I put that on...?) Otherwise, it is all
"for the good of the order!" :D

Robert Lemasters
07-14-2006, 10:57 AM
"Vicissitudes", I had to look that up...yep, could be. We here down South very seldom use such words. Did you-all know that the term "By and Large" is salty? It was said to the helmsman in the olden days of sail to steer a heading off the wind at his descretion, while the captain was off doing whatever. The remaining pot metal logo plate that I have was broken in two during Isebel. I would order two bronze one's if they become available. ebb... she-who-must- be-obeyed has me getting rid of old junk around here, I've found begged and borrowed things I should have returned years ago. My old Navy uniform still fits...well the socks and cover anyway. :o

Bill
07-14-2006, 02:40 PM
Part of our mission is to expand our memebers vocabularies. Why else would we permit Ebb to post? :p

Hull376
07-15-2006, 08:07 PM
The Ariel plates are made from a mold off of one of the plates on my boat, a Great Lakes boat for many years so little corrosion on the original plate. Roger sent my original back to me along with the silicon bronze replacements I put on the boat.

cbs
07-24-2006, 09:27 AM
Recieved My Bronze , Commander Plates On Sat. They Look Great, I Will Spap A Few Pics, They Were Sent Promtly As Well

Lucky Dawg
08-25-2008, 07:00 PM
Nice sail today. Shore breeze made Lake Michigan flat as a pancake with 12-15 knots or so. Ride along if you like - a one minute clip that looks like we are FLYING. http://picasaweb.google.com/kyle.amy.sadie/825Sail/photo?authkey=gRjuifCVvTk#s5238634443765523346

I had the logos I found on eBay repaired and rechromed. Sparkley!

Sadie continues to get more confident aboard. As she was headed forward today, I started to say... and she finished my thought - "I know Daddy, three points of contact!" She is quite a swimmer for 4 and we have jumped in the drink in our life vests and practiced MOB. At the dock, she has taken on the jobs of uncovering and covering the cowl vent and tiller with their canvas before and after sails. Good crew is hard to come by. This particular one generally sports a princess nightie - her usual sailing garb. :)

SkipperJer
08-26-2008, 08:11 AM
I have a set of Commander badges that are heavily pitted that I would like to have redone. How successfully does the process fill in what appears to be a pretty low form of metallic life that has been abused? What kind of price should I expect?

They look great!

Lucky Dawg
08-26-2008, 06:28 PM
Before and after below. I suppose if I had asked the guy to pay special attention to the pits, it might have turned out differently. I was more interested in piecing together the port logo. There is some pitting as you can see, but the chrome over them looks smoother than the close up makes it appear. It was $260 with the repair and chroming. Don't know if I got a fair deal, but it is difficult to find anyone who will chrome pot metal. Dynamic Custom Chrome http://www.dynamiccustomchrome.com/index2.html in the Detroit area.

Bill
08-26-2008, 10:30 PM
Another option is to purchase a replacement. Bristol Bronze has duplicated the Ariel and Commander plates. Here is the info from the 2003 thread:

>>>>>>>
The part number for the Commander logo will be BB0304 and it will sell for the same price as the Ariel logo."

Roger W.
Bristol Bronze
401-625-5224
--------
Note:

PO Box 101
Tiverton, RI 02878
401-625-5224
www.bristolbronze.com
<<<<<<

For more discussion, search on "logo plate."

Lucky Dawg
08-27-2008, 04:58 AM
Ouch! Or I could have done that... I seem to remember contacting Bristol before I bought the eBay plates and for some reason I didn't go that route. I sent Bristol a message this morning asking if that price and availability are still accurate. Will let y'all know ASAP.

SkipperJer
08-27-2008, 05:44 AM
FYI
Current pricing on Bristol Bronze website is $85.00 each.
I guess I should hurry.

SkipperJer
08-27-2008, 05:45 AM
click on their price sheet link and look under "coaming logo" on the downloaded file.

Lucky Dawg
08-27-2008, 10:49 AM
Right, so $170 for both cast in bronze plus chroming. Not cheap to chrome anything nowadays, but as I preferred. Maybe mine wasn't such a bad deal.

<TABLE class=email-table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width=760 border=0><TBODY><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD style="WIDTH: 760px; WORD-WRAP: break-word">
Dear Kyle,
Thanks for the e-mail and for your interest in Bristol Bronze.
The BB0304 Pearson Commander Coaming Logos in Bronze are $85.00 each plus shipping and handling. We currently have them in stock.
If you would like to place an order you can do so by using the order form that is part of our web site or, if you wish you can phone me and I can take your order down.
Roger W.
Bristol Bronze
401-625-5224</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>