PDA

View Full Version : Outboard well.

Jackhartjr
06-14-2006, 07:42 PM
Hi folks, new to this forum. Am looking at what I am told is a 66 Ariel in Chicago this weekend. (He says the hull number is 286, however that would be low for a 66 I think?)
My question is this...does the motor swing up and then down into the well easy or fast? I have not been able to tell looking at the limited photos I have seen. Of course Sunday I will know, I will have seen it.
I own an Oday 22 now that is several months away from sailing. This boat could go in the water in a few days...plus I like the fact I can stand up in it.
Anyway, thanks in advance for your answers!
Jack

mbd
06-14-2006, 08:06 PM
Jack,

Welcome, my first boat was a 1978 ODay 22! I moved up to an Ariel as well. Standing room was a prerequisite for the "big boat" and is definitely plus, but you will be amazed at how well these boats sail and the motion comfort compared to the flat bottomed light-weight ODay.

Can't speak first hand on the outboards, but a few folks here have installed a davit to lift the motor out of the well when not in use. Most probably just leave it down. Mr. Ebb has modified his stern, so he will be able to tilt the outboard up and leave it in place.

There's volume of info here, "Search" button will yield many long evenings of info overload.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

c_amos
06-15-2006, 06:32 AM
Jack,

Welcome aboard, I hope all goes well with the boat you are looking at.

You asked;
My question is this...does the motor swing up and then down into the well easy or fast?
If I understand this, the answer would be no. The outboard well is an opening in the lazarette into which you lower the motor, and clamp it in place.

I just keep my 6hp Yamaha in all the time, it has a good zink, and I paint it with outboatd anti-fouling and I have had no problems with that.

Some people remove their motors and lay them in the lazarette when they are not in use, espcally those who race their boats. I race, but don't even pull mine for that.

I reciently had an experience with a Mercury 9.9 electric start in and Ariel, and personally feel this to too large a motor. The extra HP does nothing to move the boat faster, and the stern does not like the extra weight.

The motors do not tilt in the well..... unless you are going to make some pretty significant modifications to the boat. (see reference to Ebb's Ariel 338 above). ;)

DavidSpaulding
07-14-2006, 09:04 AM
Jack --

Ceili, my Commander, is a 1966 and the hull number is 256.

David