PDA

View Full Version : Boat Restoration--The Ugly Truth

commanderpete
05-20-2002, 10:27 AM
I've spent every spare minute of the last three months fixing up my boat. I think the work is awful.

Boat restoration is hard, nasty, time consuming, tedious and frustrating. The chemicals are foul. The materials are expensive.

Everybody knows it makes no economic sense anyway. If you sell the boat, you'll be lucky to get back the cost of the materials. Forget about the hours of labor. It's easy to blow half a day completing what seemed like a "ten minute job."

Let's face it. In order to get good results in a restoration project you have to be very handy and/or very anal. You expect perfect results after all that research and prep work. You don't get perfection. Not likely on your first effort. But if you don't try, you won't even get very good.

I wish I could hire a guy named "Sven" who would do the work properly and not rob me too much. I would probably put his kid through college. You don't find guys like that around here. Instead, you have boatyard workers who don't like or understand sailboats. You wan't something done right, you have to do it yourself.

Of course there are benefits. A sense of pride and accomplishment. You acquire skills. You know your boat. When you sail past some piece of crap production boat they can't help but gawk open-mouthed at a true American classic.

But, it doesn't come easy. The boat is surely a jealous mistress.

I'm sure I'll feel differently when I'm finally out there sailing and all this work is a distant memory.

Would I do it all again? Sure. In 5 or 10 years I'll probably have to.

commanderpete
05-21-2002, 01:41 PM
Sorry for the rant.

Now that I can see how well the job came out I know that it was worth it.

What do you think?

Bill
05-21-2002, 01:44 PM
Ah, not bad . . :>

Janice Collins
05-21-2002, 03:40 PM
Trust me....Hire Sven!!

Theis
05-21-2002, 07:39 PM
When you get done having spent doing all those neat things the fourth time because they did not work out as planned the first three times (or you have forgotten how many times it was you tried to correct the problem), and when the boat is ready to put in the water, then you'll face that terrible dilemna:

Will you enjoy sailing as much as you enjoyed restoration work?

commanderpete
05-22-2002, 06:29 AM
This photo nicely shows the quality of my workmanship.

Can't argue with results.

Bill
05-22-2002, 07:46 AM
No denying that . . .;p

Janice Collins
05-22-2002, 05:10 PM
Hopefully, the neuro damage from all those nasty chemicals will be reversible with time......

Now, let's see the real deal. Aren't you in the water yet???

commanderpete
05-23-2002, 02:26 PM
Yes, I'm back on the water.

I made a few structural modifications to the boat. I wanted some more interior volume, so I added a dormer.

Nice lines, huh?

Theis
05-23-2002, 03:33 PM
Could you tell us about any problems you encountered putting in the twin diesels and the bow thruster? Advice and comments would be appreciated.

Mike Goodwin
05-23-2002, 06:23 PM
Looks like a Winnabago sloop to me!

commanderpete
05-24-2002, 08:14 AM
Who needs diesels or bow thrusters? This baby will never leave the dock.

You have to admit, a classic design will never go out of style.

Theis
05-24-2002, 08:35 AM
If all you are using the boat for is to dry togas and loin cloths, I guess a motor is unnecessary. What about installing a washing machine and a dryer instead.

S.Airing
05-24-2002, 08:36 AM
Relaunching Sirocco after adding 2 decks to try and keep up with Commander Pete.

Theis
05-24-2002, 08:42 AM
I assume that thing with the wheels attached to the boat is so you could drive it over to the local bar if the weather turned bad. right? Neat idea. Shouldn't you think about raising the boot top stripe a few feet.

glissando
05-27-2002, 05:04 AM
I decided to "bulk up" my Triton to add some more living space.

Tim

glissando
05-27-2002, 05:05 AM
I also decided to repower so that I can get places faster.

Tim

commanderpete
05-28-2002, 05:58 AM
Vroom, Vroom

Now here is a nice boat if you're considering a circumnavigation.

commanderpete
05-28-2002, 07:45 AM
Who needs those pesky sails?

S.Airing
05-28-2002, 10:28 AM
Ok Commander Pete heres Sirocco`s war time modifications,Also I had to rename her and hire on crew but it was worth it.

commanderpete
05-29-2002, 01:51 PM
I yield to superior firepower.

Say Steve, It seems that I passed you in the number of posts on this Board.

Just because you have Sirocco fully restored doesn't mean that you can rest on your laurels. You need to tear something apart and put it back together again. Maybe build a teak toilet paper holder.

S.Airing
05-29-2002, 03:26 PM
I know I need to do something,unfortunately I already have a teak toilet paper holder.I painted the decks 5 years ago and have done lots of scrubbing since then maybe Ill repaint them this year.I have nothing left mechanical or electrical to do except replace the house battery bank(that wont take long).Sirocco is better equipped than most 35 footers.

S.Airing
05-29-2002, 03:42 PM
Sirocco wasnt always so shiny.Wish they had digitial cameras back then.I have very few pictures of the old Sirocco.

S.Airing
05-30-2002, 09:37 AM
Commanderpete,do you have your boat in the water yet?In another 2 months it will be winter in New York.What about the interior?put some new batteries in your camera and give us some shots ,PLEASE.If not I`ll have to bore everyone with more Sirocco pictures.I havent shown anything on my electrical systems yet,or my cruising adventures on Chesapeake Bay.

S.Airing
05-30-2002, 09:48 AM
Commanderpete,Oh by the way this post makes 162,passing you.What happens when you pass 200 post?Maybe a silver star next to your name.Got a dvd player on that Commander yet?

S.Airing
05-30-2002, 10:12 AM
Ok this makes 163,I hope someone else starts taking pictures of their boats.I have never seen another Ariel or Commander.

commanderpete
05-30-2002, 10:13 AM
Ah yes. I do detect some subtle improvements between the old and new Sirocco.

As for me, progress has slowed recently, I'm embarrased to say. Other commitments. Contrary to popular opinion, I do have a life.

I should have something to show after this weekend. Got a new 64 picture chip for my camera. Cool.

I sure would like to hear about some sailing adventures.

Al Lorman
05-30-2002, 01:37 PM
Actually, Steve, I have a Commander not far from your Ariel (on the hard on the Rhode River) (sorry, no digital camera) but I got so &$%#@ tired of looking at the stunning pictures of your boat, knowing that mine would never look like that, that I went out and got a new (used) boat instead. So, you see, it's probably your own fault that you don't see many other boats or photos.

S.Airing
05-30-2002, 04:00 PM
Al,Rhode River,thats power boat country.I anchored there one night on a recommendation of a friend.Worse anchorage Ive ever had.Power boats and PWC all over the place with their wakes,about flipped by dinghy over.Oh and dont worry Im tired of looking at my boat too and will gladdly takem all off if some of the other 81 members would post some.You dont need a digital camera any film can be put on a cd or floppy real cheap at any place that develops film.Walmart even has scanners at the store so you can scan in your pictures and burn them to a disk.Im tired of Sirocco and would like to buy a Allied Seawind or Westsail 32.

Mike Goodwin
05-30-2002, 07:18 PM
Here's a shot of #45 taken just a few hours ago , just finished installing the new monel water tank in the bilge under the cabin sole . Spent the holiday weekend painting the bilge , inside all the lockers and under the bunks .Then re-installed the lifeline bases .

S.Airing
05-30-2002, 07:22 PM
Hey Mike cool picture.How do you get such a large picture on this board?How big of a water tank do you have in the bilge,did you have it custom made?

Mike Goodwin
05-31-2002, 05:05 AM
Thanks Steve,
I was walking away from the boat and looked over my shoulder and had to take the photo , the light does get that good every day .
The resolution is set to 1280x720 , I think .I had to reset the compression to get the website to accept it , it was a very large file shot on a 5.2 mega-pixal camera .
Set the JPEG compression to it's highest setting , least quality .

Tank is custom made and close to 12 gal . It follows the shape of the bilge from the aft sump to midway of cabin sole aprox.4' . My forward tank is too rusty to use and is coming out as soon as I am inspired enough . May put a holding tank there .

Mike

commanderpete
05-31-2002, 07:31 AM
You guys drink water? Now if you installed some beer taps I would really be impressed.

Would go well on this boat. Nothing quite like a MacGregor-- Lousy sailboat, Crummy powerboat.

S.Airing
05-31-2002, 07:40 AM
Dont laugh at the Macgregor 26x,one of these things with a 50 hp engine pulled me off a sand bar one night and I was hard aground over on my side.Not that I would want a clorox bottle .My bilge is were I keep my spare beer,generally 2 cases or so .Luckily my bow water tank is monel and is in bristle condition but only 12 gallons.I carry 2 spare 3 gallon jerry jugs.

S.Airing
06-01-2002, 09:41 AM
Mike,I dont guess you happened to take any pictures of your water tank installation?I tried a flexible tank in the bilge but really didnt have much lucK,since the bilge is so narrow and long no flex. tank fit and I couldnt really fill it and had bad suction from my pump.I need a new digitial camera,mines only 2.1 megapix,I think Ill get at least a 3.

Mike Goodwin
06-01-2002, 07:04 PM
Steve ,
Here is a shot of the tank installed . My wife thinks she took one on film before we put it back in . I guess I'll fire up the flat bed scanner .

S.Airing
06-01-2002, 07:34 PM
Mike,it looks like you didnt even have to pull up the cabin sole,is that true?Or did you do that great of a job replacing it?You didnt happen to take a picture before you put it in did you? Im wondering about the shape.Your cabin sole looks to be narrower than mine,maybe set a little lower by an inch or so.

Mike Goodwin
06-02-2002, 05:29 AM
Steve,
Mine is the stock cabin sole & in terrible shape showing 40 years of wear . The access hatch had to be cut out longer .
My wife is looking for her photo of the tank after she polished it before we installed it.
I will take another photo with a tape measure laid alongside .Dont you have a teak & holly overlay on you cabin sole ?

Theis
06-03-2002, 08:36 AM
Nice job but my concern is over certain practical matters. I can do without cold tank water, but where do you now store beer (and Evian water) keep it cold, and have it run in case a bottle or can gets pierced? One other matter. The full water tank up front offsets the weight of the outboard on the back. How do you offset the stern dragging lower in the water (and getting even heavier with water) recognizing that the center of fore/aft balance is about where the hanging locker is?

S.Airing
06-03-2002, 11:45 AM
You have to remember Mike and I sail on the Chesapeake Bay were the water in the summer time is 85 degrees or so. We cant stow stuff in the bilge to get it cold.Pluse anyone with an outboard model doesnt carry anywhere near the weight of an inboard model , so I wouldnt think this would not be a big concern.Dont you guys have lead weights 2 -100 pounderers to make up for some of the lack of weight of the outboard models? ( Atomic 4 weighs 325lbs pluse 20 gallons of fuel)Just take some of it out if weight is a big concern.My lazzeret locker is full including a 2 hp. 4 stroke Honda outboard for the dink weighing 27 pounds and 40 pounds of dog food.

noeta-112
06-03-2002, 04:12 PM
Noeta still awaits the lifting swell ..... the weather hasn't been very cooperative of late and I'm waiting for "BROWN" with my supplies. Brown has got my BLUE bottom paint!!

noeta-112
06-03-2002, 04:16 PM
This is another look at one of the folding tables ... which when up flat against the locker bulkhead reduces the berth length by a couple of inches ... Well there is always the berth forward.

noeta-112
06-03-2002, 04:21 PM
Since these photos were taken the cabin has had some white paint flung about which I will be glad to demonstrate nxt time I get my hands on a digicam.

noeta-112
06-03-2002, 04:25 PM
I think I'll install a sliding (pull-out) chart table under the ice box... & perhaps one on the port side too!

noeta-112
06-03-2002, 04:31 PM
The main sheeting arrangement is soon to be replaced with a traveller setup .... still waiting for some of the hardware which I ordered a couple of weeks ago :Ugh:

noeta-112
06-03-2002, 04:34 PM
Scrape and where's that bottom paint???

noeta-112
06-03-2002, 04:37 PM
Enuff of the pics for now and back to the battle of the Black Flies!!

S.Airing
06-04-2002, 08:30 AM
Noeta-112,looks good,Capt. Mike, no my main cabin sole is the original teak, but I put down teak and holly in the vee berth.

S.Airing
06-04-2002, 08:49 AM
Mike,this is the best I have that shows both the main cabin sole and the vee berth teak and holly.

Theis
06-04-2002, 10:26 AM
You've done a nice job. Question: What is the big thing to the right of the couch? I assume that there is storage behind the seat back? Do you do overnights, and if so, how many do you now sleep (at one time)?

S.Airing
06-04-2002, 10:36 AM
Im not sure what your asking? Maybe my refrigerator.I can sleep 3 below I can`nt imagine sleeping more than 2 on an Ariel.I single hand most of the time and stay out 3 or 4 days at a time.Yes behind my couch is much needed storage.

Theis
06-04-2002, 10:50 AM
I suspected it was the refrigerator. Do you actually have a refrigerator or is it an ice box. If a refrigerator, tell me about the power issue. Does the "couch" extend under the refrigerator so a person can sleep there, or does the bunk terminate where the refrigerator is?

My sailing is becoming more and more single handed - I am getting too lazy to call people - and screw around with their schedules and then - cancellations allegedly because of a dead relative's friend might be coming down with a cold, and so forth.

S.Airing
06-04-2002, 10:55 AM
No Its a real refrig.,If you look back at some old posts I did a bunch of pictures about it.It uses about 35 amp hours a day.

S.Airing
06-04-2002, 11:17 AM
Sirocco has been modified more than most other Ariels.