PDA

View Full Version : Spars

cjackson
01-26-2006, 03:40 PM
When I took over "Althea" last weekend, I noticed some pretty extensive corrosion on the spars. Spreader tips were toasted, and the boom has a nice bulging spot at the head fitting joint. Spreader tips seem pretty straight forward, I should be able to find a local machine shop to spin me up some new ones from the old samples (unless someone has another suggestion), however in the case of the boom I'm stumped. I've contacted the OEM spar supplier from the manual, and also a few others...and of course no one can match the original extrusion. So here I sit with these perfectly good heads and I can't get an aluminum stick to fit between them...I've though of shortening the boom by a few inches but I'm a little trepidatious about sawing away on my Alberg beauty without asking some of you knowledgable fellows first...so how 'bout it?

commanderpete
01-27-2006, 04:30 AM
I believe Robert bought new spreaders from Dwyer

http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussion/showthread.php?t=986

I'm not familiar with that gooseneck casting. Anybody seen one of those?

Looks too large for the boom, like it was pounded in there

cjackson
01-27-2006, 06:32 PM
Checked those spreaders out today Pete...they look great, and for a good price too! So, the spreader issue seems resolved...

I spoke to the fellows at US Spars today...they quoted me a good price on a new complete boom, but of course...good or no, it's still too much bread for me. I just can't see shelling out for a whole new boom set up when I've got perfectly good fittings on it.

What you see in the photo that appears to look like the head fittings are oversize and jammed into the boom, is actually just corrosion product that has bulged one side of the boom...the other side (on the same end) appears perfectly normal and corrosion free.

Everything I've been reading says that cutting an inch or two off the boom extrusion and refitting the heads should not cause any trouble, other than possibly having to slightly modify the cut of mainsail...and the obvious performance effects there of. Still just don't know...but I guess the worst case is, it doesn't work out and I have to buy a new boom anyway?!? As long as I take a set of pre and post measurements and document well...

Mike Goodwin
01-28-2006, 05:38 AM
Don't buy a new boom , buy an old mast . Booms are just smaller extrusions for masts cut off shorter . I buy old masts for $25 to $100 all the time . Lots cheaper than a new "boom" .

ebb
01-28-2006, 08:12 AM
Mike,
Recycling a mast to make a boom (or two) is intriguing!
HOW DO YOU DO IT?

Would assume this could make for a boom of bigger more oval section,
without too much weight gain,
which might be better for a loose foot main.
and a stiffer boom to attach the rigid vang to.
(And a storm trysail.)

Haven't heard of anybody breaking or kinking the original boom with these modern changes.

The boom on the Ariel is more rounded than the mast. A boom shaped like the mast might be more appropriate and stiffer. What used mast would I look for?

We've gone thru a lot of twists and turns trying to find/restore boom end fittings in the past on these pages. Most of us are challenged by having to rig a new-to-the-boat boom. I can maybe see rigging another class boat's boom to the A/C,

but how do you do it it with a mast section?
Investment casting and machining s.s. block for fittings? :confused:

Bill
01-28-2006, 08:48 AM
Check page 150 in the manual and you will see that the boom extrusion for the Ariel was also used as the mast for the Electra, the mast and boom for the Ensign and the mizzen mast for the Alberg 35.

Mike Goodwin
01-29-2006, 05:24 AM
Ebb,
There are several spar maker websites that illustrate the extrusion cross-section, you just pick the size you want and then look for the fittings and 'end' hardware you need for that spar OR have them custom made if you are a wealthy wine merchant . Ariels have pretty beefy spars for their size by modern standards .
Hobie 16 masts are a good size for booms and very cheap used and broken .

commanderpete
01-29-2006, 06:07 PM
In the first few years of production, Pearson used a roller furling gooseneck similar to your's.

I just don't think it looked the same. Didn't stick out so far.

Anybody???

Anyway, there's no problem cutting the boom back an inch.