PDA

View Full Version : Sink Drain

Rick
05-15-2002, 04:41 AM
I just wanted to thank whoever discovered the idea to tie up the sink drain on the 26. I put my boat in the water yesterday, and was very lucky that I did that. The sink drain corroded and it did drop down a bit (the string should have been a little tighter) but it prevented the boat from sinking, it was just a trickle comming in thru the hose. Thank you once again!

Bill
05-15-2002, 07:34 AM
The discovery was made in the distant past after an Ariel was found at its slip sitting on the bottom. I believe this was in the mid to late 1970's.

S.Airing
05-15-2002, 09:23 AM
Anyone that hasnt replaced the tail piece on the sink really should.This is an accident waiting to happen.The sink is only a few inches above the water line.

commanderpete
05-15-2002, 10:45 AM
Hi Rick, Welcome.

I snapped a picture of your fine looking boat the other day.

commanderpete
05-15-2002, 11:01 AM
Underneath the sink drain is the tail piece, a length of hose, a check valve, another length of hose, then the molded fiberglass tube down to the exit hole.

I'm replacing the tail piece and hoses.

The bottom piece of hose doesn't want to come off from the fiberglass tube. I've tried heat, but may need more drastic measures.

S.Airing
05-15-2002, 11:03 AM
We need pictures Commanderpete and lots of them. Sirocco has a sea cock hull valve there.

Bill
05-15-2002, 12:13 PM
Seacocks are aftermarket installed by serious owners. Otherwise, it's just a piece of of fiberglass tubing. Some skippers have opted to leave the tubing and argue that it is a better solution than going to a seacock.

One reason for a seacock on the sink drain side is that you can close it when gone from the boat.

S.Airing
05-15-2002, 12:26 PM
No ,sorry Capt. Bill. sea cocks are standard equipment on inboard models have 5 total actually, 1 more for the enging water cooling. Have to remove the galley to do engine maintenance.Dont quote from the Ariel manuel like its gospel because that thing has a lot of things wrong!!!!!Sirocco was bought from the original owner and sea cocks came with her.The old tapper plug type.

Bill
05-15-2002, 11:26 PM
I stand corrected. The ob models came without the aft seacocks. Guess I've not seen enough inboard models.

BTW - if you know of errors in the manual, we sure would like to have them identified. Peter Theis has been good enough to point out a few to us in the past.

commanderpete
05-20-2002, 07:32 AM
I suppose the plumbing is different on the Ariel and Commander.

Here is the area underneath the "galley." The galley is just a cabinet with a sink. I pulled that off the boat for refinishing.

A molded fiberglass tube leads out of the boat. On top of that is a short length of black hose (the one I can't get off).

The green hose leads from the water tank to the sink water pump.

commanderpete
05-20-2002, 07:35 AM
Next comes the "check valve"

commanderpete
05-20-2002, 07:39 AM
This is just a bronze fitting with a hole at the top. A floating ball stops up the hole to prevent water from rising higher.

commanderpete
05-20-2002, 07:43 AM
A bar at the bottom holds the ball in.

By the way, the brown stuff is fairng compound covering my recent fiberglass job.

commanderpete
05-20-2002, 07:47 AM
The next section of hose leads to the sink drain tail piece

commanderpete
05-20-2002, 07:57 AM
That's all there is to it.

I've been tying up this assembly too. However, I don't see how it could possibly fall over. The hoses are so thick and stiff you would need a crowbar to bend them.

The only reason I decided to replace the hoses is because I figured they might be getting brittle with age and could leak (and I had the galley off anyway).

I considered a seacock. But, then I would worry about if I remembered to close it when I left the boat.

The green water hose looks like it's just common garden hose. I thought about replacing that, but not much water is drank on my boat. Not the beverage of choice

Janice Collins
05-27-2002, 06:11 PM
Anyone have pictures of the sink drain safety modification. I thought this was done on Wayward Star, but when I checked it out, I realized I wasn't sure what I'm supposed to be looking for...didn't look like any safety modifications were made

I'm supposed to be tieing something up?

:confused:

Bill
05-27-2002, 09:03 PM
You are looking for something that will prevent the drain hose from falling should the sink drain fail. Attach a piece of line to the hose clamp at the drain and attach the other end to something nearby in such a manner that if the drain falls off the sink, it will not drop (the hose) below the water line.

Janice Collins
05-28-2002, 03:24 AM
Thanks....Will do!

c_amos
08-03-2005, 12:18 PM
After looking at the pictures of the water line inside #331 I just wanted to bump this topic, in case any don't know about this.

If NOT, then........

Buy the owners manual to read more shocking things you need to know about your boat!!! :eek:

*Shameless plug ;)