PDA

View Full Version : Waterline is where

ebb
04-24-2002, 08:06 AM
Hello ladies and gentlemen again. Progress on 338 has been extensive but slow. I'd like to find out where the original Waterline is located on an Ariel. We are beginning to longboard the hull and the two rather noodly incised lines are disappearing. When I lay the tape perpendicular against the hull at the bow from toerail to breakwater I read 34" and 38". Back at the cabin/cockpit blkhd it's about 24.25" and 26.75", laying the tape against the hull. Can anybody confirm these measurement?

The boat has been out of the brine going on a year now. I drained the encapsulated keel area and filled it with a surprising 5.50 GALLONS of epoxy, still displaceing some water at the end of the injection process. That in water weight and in laminate water is a lot of pounds. Thanks, Ebb

ebb
04-24-2002, 12:51 PM
S.: thanks for your reply. Just wondering if my casual measurements will jibe with anybody elses?
I solidified the keel so that if the hull is pierced down there it couldn't leak; I'm opening up (creating access) everywhere else so that a repair can be made from the inside.
I agree that the designed waterline is history, but where is it now consensus-wise? I guess I could get measures off the line drawings. Not very accurate either.

ebb
04-28-2002, 07:54 PM
One gallon of water @ 4degrees C = 8.57 lbs. You might add a pinch more weight for the salt.
One gallon epoxy & hardner = approximately 8.9 lbs. Therefor in displacing 5.5 gals. of water I've added 1.8 lbs to the Ariel.
This extra weight I know will lead to a dangerous inability to spill wind especially on SF Bay.
I better grind a couple pounds off the bottom of the laminate - that will decrease the lateral plane and make Sun Quest more tippy.
Of course I've removed all the thruhulls, maybe that'll take care of the weight gain. My wallet is a lot lighter too - does that count????

So, is it really a secret where the waterline is?

Bill
04-29-2002, 08:03 AM
Alberg's lines drawing shows the waterline as 3'3-3/4" down from the tip of the bow, and 2'5-1/2" down from the top center of the transom. Your actual waterline may vary:p

ebb
04-29-2002, 04:39 PM
Thanks Bill. Where the h is that in the Manual?
One day when I wasn't there the Yard moved the boat by crane and left it not level. I have since erected an elaborate tent over the boat and I'm totally boxed in by others. Now I have to figure how to jack the stern up to lines. I do things elaborately, anybody have an easy and safe way to do it from the ground up?

Probably one person on the jack under the keel and one each on the 4 bilge props adjusting ver carefull, and someone checking the levels inside the boat What's level? the cockpit sole, cabin sole, settees, cockpit seats?? Waterlines existing are off 1/2", maybe more on the sides. Hey, no problem.

Bill
04-29-2002, 07:19 PM
The lines drawing is the first drawing in Appendix E. -- It's where you got your ruddder design (<:

ebb
04-29-2002, 07:39 PM
S, that sure is a purdy blue boat you got there.
So, if I got this right - it looks like I would paint the bottom paint up to the toe rail all around and have a stick-on waterline that I could peel off and replace where needed - after I refit and zoltan (the verb) the hell out of the boat I think it's a patentable idea!
And If I caught this long tack on the way to Tahiti no barnacles would attach themselves to the leeward side.:p :p

Gerry Walsh
04-30-2002, 05:22 AM
This is where it should be on your vessel .I did not move it during the color change . Gerry .Ariel # 88