PDA

View Full Version : Cracked Scupper Tube

Bogle
04-22-2002, 07:45 PM
Our 1965 Commander has a glassed reservoir box under the sole leading aft to the fiberglass discharge tube. It is cracked, apparently, as a very small amount of water drips down the tube (from under the paint) onto the hose that connects to the FG tube coming out of the hull.

All this appears to be under the waterline, and while only a very small amount of water is leaking it worries me. I had the (original?, black) hoses replaced last winter with clear/reinforced hoses, and the brute force that must have been required to remove and reinstall hoses on the fiberglass tubes may have cracked the upper tube at the reservoir box.

Does a weeping hole or crack in this assembly indicate weakness that could fail, or is it plenty strong but with a leak.

Thanks in advance,
David

David Bogle
brooklyn, new york
pearson commander #92, palomita

S.Airing
04-23-2002, 07:37 AM
This is a different set up than the Ariel so Im not sure what your talking about.But a leak is a leak and will not go away and can only get worse.I would mix up some west system and put in some 406 filler and fill in any cracks and then wrap with 6 or 10 ounce cloth.