PDA

View Full Version : boom gallows

Scott Galloway
04-20-2002, 09:46 PM
I have never seen a Pearson Ariel with a boom gallows, but Dan Spurr in his "Boat Book" shows photos of his Pearson Triton, "Adrianna", with a boom gallows that he designed and built.

Now I can think of good reasons to build and also good reasons not to build a boom gallows on a Pearson Ariel. If I don't build one, I will probably purchase a Gauhauer lifting davit, which appears to be the best commercially engineered solution to lifting an outbard out of the well, as documented in Gene Robert's modification, which is featured in the excellent Ariel Association Maintenance Manual.

The side deck just forward of the lazarette hatch bulkhead seems to me to be a good place to install the feet for a boom gallows, and a knee between the deck and that bulkhead would be easy to build, but I am not sure about interference of the boom gallows with the main sheet in a jibe. Therefore careful placement of the boom gallows would seem to be be critical.

Has anyone attempted to or successfully built a boom gallows for their Ariel?

"The advantages" you ask?

A boom gallows

1. would keep the boom from flopping about in an anchorage, or in heavy weather if the main is down or in the process of being reefed.

2. could make a great base for a lifting arm(s) for an outboard motor, cargo, life sling or other purposes.

3, Serve as the aft end support for a Bimini or winter cockpit rain tarp.

4. as Dan Spurr suggests, could be a great place to dry bathing suits or hand a bunch of bananas.

:confused:

S.Airing
04-27-2002, 07:15 PM
Go for it if thats want you want,dont wait for this bunch to reply youll grow old.I`ve never thought twice about anything I`ve done on Sirocco.Just do it and if you dont like take it off.Also the boat that Spur put the gallows on was his Vanguard not the Triton,alot bigger boat.

Scott Galloway
04-30-2002, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the response. That's the problem when an author names both his boats after his daughter. So Dan Spurr's Vanguard and Triton were both named Adrianna. I took another look at the photo and you are indeed correct.

I kept coming up with more reasons not to add a boom gallows than to do so, so I purchased a Garhauer lifting davit instead. It will probably cost me less in the long run, and allow me to swing the outbard into the cockpit or onto the dock. The boom gallows would have pevented me from swinging the motor directly into the cockpit. Still, it would have been interesting to know if anyone had attempted a boom gallows. From the response, or lack of same, I must conclude that few have.